Hard To Find Photos

ThreeSticks

Unfortunately I don't have them, but I was hoping that some of you might have them. I have searched this forum, and I cannot seem to find very many from there eras:

1) I know it sounds morbid, but are there are any photos from Bonzo's funeral?

2)  Are there any photos of the band or the individual band members in the first few months following Bonzo's passing?

3) What is the last known photo of Bonzo?

4) Any photos of the band recording "Presence" in Musicland Studios In Munich in 1975?

5) Any photos of the band rehearsing "Presence" in L.A. in 1975?

6) Any photos of the band recording "In through The Out Door" in Sweden in 1978?

7) Any photos of the band rehearsing "In through The Out Door" in Clearwater Castle in 1978?

8) Any photos of the band rehearsing for the planned 1980 North American tour at Bray Film Studios in Sep. 1980?

9) Any photos of Jimmy Page in 1978?

10) Any photos of Jimmy Page off stage in 1979 (doesn't include photos from Knebworth - like the famous helicopter shot. I have seen tons of off stage Knebworth pics)?

11) Any shots of Jimmy Page, off stage, in 1980, (doesn't include rehearsal pics for the European tour (I've seen tons of those)?

Thanks a bunch.  It just seems as though photos from these eras of the band are very hard to find.

From memory of other threads in "Photos"

3) Jason Bonham posted a pic on Facebook a while ago that was reposted here, and came he said from late Aug / early Sept 1980. Your best bet is to use the search function to find it

8) as far as I know there are no known photos of the only day of reharsals at Bray in Sept 1980 but I could be wrong.

14 hours ago, ThreeSticks said:

Unfortunately I don't have them, but I was hoping that some of you might have them. I have searched this forum, and I cannot seem to find very many from there eras:

None come to mind. There is a short news report posted to You Tube. A friend of mine is interviewed in it.

2)  Are there any photos of the band or the individual band members in the first few months following Bonzo's passing?

None come to mind.

The last known, publicly released photo was provided by Jason Bonham. (search function) 

4) Any photos of the band recording "Presence" in Musicland Studios In Munich in 1975?

None come to mind.

None come to mind.

6) Any photos of the band recording "In through The Out Door" in Sweden in 1978?

None come to mind.

7) Any photos of the band rehearsing "In through The Out Door" in Clearwater Castle in 1978?

None come to mind.

8) Any photos of the band rehearsing for the planned 1980 North American tour at Bray Film Studios in Sep. 1980?

None come to mind. Unlikely any were taken as rehearsals lasted for only about 90 minutes the evening of 9/24/80.

I'm away from my notes at the moment, but as I recall there is one of him at a car dealership (purchasing one as a gift for Charlotte) and one of the Page's on

holiday in South America visiting Jim Capaldi and his wife. Wasn't '78 also the year he jammed with Ronnie Wood at the Half Moon pub in Plumpton? It could

have been prior. 

10) Any photos of Jimmy Page off stage in 1979 (doesn't include photos from Knebworth - like the famous helicopter shot. I have seen tons of off stage Knebworth pics)?

Yes, as I recall there is one of him reading the newspaper on the front lawn of Plumpton Place. It was used for an On This Day feature for August 1979. 

11) Any shots of Jimmy Page, off stage, in 1980, (doesn't include rehearsal pics for the European tour (I've seen tons of those)?

I have at least one of Jimmy offstage while on tour in Europe 1980 (hotel lobby (in Rotterdam as I recall).

Thanks a bunch.  It just seems as though photos from these eras of the band are very hard to find.

15 hours ago, ThreeSticks said:

Re. #9, I seem to recall a picture of him outside (it looks windy and chilly, he's in a leather jacket), at some kind of harbor commemoration near his house, I believe it's '78 (certainly looks the part).  A web search doesn't turn it up, unfortunately.  FWIW there's a pretty well-known pic of him jamming with Ron Wood in Aug '77 (so after the disastrous end of the '77 tour).   

2 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Re. #9, I seem to recall a picture of him outside (it looks windy and chilly, he's in a leather jacket), at some kind of harbor commemoration near his house, I believe it's '78 (certainly looks the part).  A web search doesn't turn it up, unfortunately.  FWIW there's a pretty well-known pic of him jamming with Ron Wood in Aug '77 (so after the disastrous end of the '77 tour).   

Oh yeah, that one too...at Phillips Harbour near Caithness, Scotland...April 1979.

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/Features/It-was-hip-and-happening-in-Mey-in-1979-15102012.htm

Okay, one exception.....this one is from Steve Rosen's interview with Page in 1977 (no more 1977 photos please - there are tons of them already), but I have never seen this one, and it's really cool. I know everyone has the photo of Jimmy pounding that Jack bottle backstage etched in their brain, but it's to my understanding that Jimmy was really more a beer drinker back in the LZ days. He would often drink it during interviews and smoke as well:

Jimmy-Page-2-1024x682.jpg

4 hours ago, ThreeSticks said:

I have seen a photo of Grant and Page entering what appears to be a Hotel Lobby on the 1980 tour. That maybe the one you are referring to The Alchemist's Archivist. This one:

f28621df40e393e4188737409c16a4a8.jpg

No. The one above as well as the one below were almost certainly taken June 30, 1980 at the Plaza Hotel in Frankfurt. (Phil Carson in white on the left and road manager/Jimmy's assistant Phil Carlo at far right:

1980%2006%2030%20probably_zpscwquurqq.jp

The one I'm thinking of I know I have it...a candid shot of Jimmy in the hotel lobby in Rotterdam on June 22, 1980. He's wearing the same white blazer but with a purple shirt. I thought I had posted it here before. I'll have to dig it out.

I also have this one from March 23, 1980...a film premier...almost certainly in London:

1980%2003%2023%20%20001_zpsetyqvhrg.jpg

1980%2003%2023%20%20002_zpsafe8p4ak.jpg

Everything about that 1980 tour just seemed so laid back. I don't know if it was the smaller venues or the fact that Richard Cole was gone, but the whole thing seemed more intimate. There they are , LZ hanging out in a hotel lobby like normal people. So screaming fans, masses of photographers  or huge security guys (outside of Grant who could be one if needed). I would've loved to have attended one of the full gigs on that tour. I think it gets unfairly slammed at times. I listened to Berlin last night, and it was an interesting listen.

55 minutes ago, ThreeSticks said:

Everything about that 1980 tour just seemed so laid back. I don't know if it was the smaller venues or the fact that Richard Cole was gone, but the whole thing seemed more intimate. There they are , LZ hanging out in a hotel lobby like normal people. So screaming fans, masses of photographers  or huge security guys (outside of Grant who could be one if needed). I would've loved to have attended one of the full gigs on that tour. I think it gets unfairly slammed at times. I listened to Berlin last night, and it was an interesting listen.

The majority of the shows on that tour are good and about half are excellent, there are only a handful of poor shows. I think the tour gets slammed because the whole approach to the tour was a 180 departure from the typical Zeppelin live show. They saw what a crowd in the 1980's wanted, and thus they stripped down, scrapped the epics, and just played the damn songs. For many Zeppelin was all about excess, overindulgence, and 45 minute versions of D&C. Removing all of that pissed off a huge portion of the fanbase and thus the real reason why Tour Over Europe 80' gets a bad rap. To me it was the right decision to "cut the waffle" and play a two hour show with no epics. The only complaints I have for this tour is Jimmy obviously did not like playing AML as in several shows there are points where he stops playing altogether for a period of time, comes in late, or is clearly apathetic. The other is the order of the setlist and having  Rain Song, Hot Dog & ALM back to back...a real momentum killer IMO. Oh, and White Summer should have been dropped from the setlist as it was the one remaining indulgence and one which was past its expiration date by 1980. I figured Hot Dog should have been played as a two song encore with The Ocean as the final closing number.

Does anyone feel that the North American Tour would've been any different than the European one? If so, in what ways? In the US they were going to be playing in the 18,000 seat indoor arenas again, but no outdoor football stadiums. I know that they had worked up a version of Carouselambra that they were going to play on the N.A. tour. Being a 10 minute song, that would've been a bit of an "epic," but clearly not like the 28 minute versions of D&C. Maybe it's just me , but I would've liked for them to have played a couple of songs like The Rover (with vocals), Night Flight, The Wanton Song, For Your Life, I'm Gonna Crawl.....songs that they had never or rarely played live. 

Unfortunately I think it's just plain and obvious that Pagey hated All My Love. Just too poppy for him. I mean, considering how much it is played on radio, you know that it wasn't played at the O2 for a reason. It's one of Robert's all time favorites, and obviously a deeply personal tune to him. You could tell both men were headed in different directions creatively. It probably reminded Pagey of his session work days playing on that tune.

1 hour ago, ThreeSticks said:

Does anyone feel that the North American Tour would've been any different than the European one? If so, in what ways? In the US they were going to be playing in the 18,000 seat indoor arenas again, but no outdoor football stadiums. I know that they had worked up a version of Carouselambra that they were going to play on the N.A. tour. Being a 10 minute song, that would've been a bit of an "epic," but clearly not like the 28 minute versions of D&C.

I heard that one idea with Carouselambra live was that it would be a "linking" song, with Jones playing excerpts from it on the DX-7 between songs in the main setlist (e.g. while Page changed guitars or Plant took a breather between tracks).

I recall seeing two photos of Jimmy and Robert back in 1978 from Creem magazine or some other periodical. One was Jimmy and Robert attending a wedding. (Richard Cole's?) And the other was of them in Sweden (walking outside with Jimmy looking back at Robert grinning). It was part of a news article talking about Led Zeppelin recording at Polar Studios. 

12 minutes ago, sixpense said:

I recall seeing two photos of Jimmy and Robert back in 1978 from Creem magazine or some other periodical. One was Jimmy and Robert attending a wedding. (Richard Cole's?) And the other was of them in Sweden (walking outside with Jimmy looking back at Robert grinning). It was part of a news article talking about Led Zeppelin recording at Polar Studios. 

Yes, a web search of "Page Plant Cole's Wedding" brings this up (it is '78), as well as Cole's '74 wedding.

8 hours ago, ThreeSticks said:

...attending Robert's after show party at the Old Rangoon in Barnes on December 13, 1983. Jimmy had joined him during the encore (Treat Her Right) at Hammersmith Odeon.

8 hours ago, ThreeSticks said:

1980 (I believe):

tumblr_mrqxrqo19Z1qekzpqo1_1280.jpg

I'll have to check on this one. That looks like a Hawaiian shirt which would suggest The Firm era circa late 1984 to 1985.

4 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Yes, a web search of "Page Plant Cole's Wedding" brings this up (it is '78), as well as Cole's '74 wedding.

Richard Cole's first marriage was January 2, 1974. The bride's name was Marilyn and the reception was held at Caxton Hall in Westminster, which Jimmy & Robert attended. 

Richard Cole's second marriage was September 15, 1978 at the Chelsea Registry Office. The bride's name was Tracy Heron-Webber, a blonde 24 year old art restorer he had meet six weeks prior. Jimmy was the best man. Then everyone from Cole's wedding rushed over to Fulham to attend drummer Simon Kirke's wedding to a 23-year-old American model named Desiree Serino. Jimmy, Robert, JPJ, and Bonzo all attended the informal double wedding champagne reception for the Cole's and Kirke's, held at the Golden Lion pub. 

3 hours ago, ThreeSticks said:

Robert's hair is kind of short in the wedding photo:

852bee66f3d687f3d9c05180663b862a.jpg

Robert looks pretty tubby in that picture. Along with the short hair he could almost pass for a heafty Doris Day.

7 hours ago, ThreeSticks said:

Robert's hair is kind of short in the wedding photo:

852bee66f3d687f3d9c05180663b862a.jpg

I recognize Jimmy's outfit (with the flower). The photo I was referring to has to be related to this event. The picture had Jimmy and Robert outside with Robert wearing a jacket over this black shirt. The article made a big deal of spotting Jimmy and Robert together because many people thought that Led Zeppelin was over due to Robert's son tragic passing and Robert's apathy towards the music business.

Archived