LZ Historic Locations

First time poster. I am planning an  adventure for 2018 to visit LZ sites, Tolkien sites, and family heritage locales in England and Scotland. Any info regarding access to Headley Grange, Bron Yr Aur, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Several sites on the net and stumbled on this...happily so. Checking Tolkien society and such but figured perhaps someone here had some insight. 

Thanks much, All.

Headley Grange and Bron-Y-Aur are privately owned...no access to the interiors without permission of the owners. 

Among the many Led Zeppelin places of interest, I recommend Plumpton Place and Horselunges Manor because there are public footpaths leading to the perimeter of each property. Use the search function to discover more. 

If there are other locales, pubs, and the like that still remain I'd certainly welcome any information anyone can provide. My travels will involve a heavy dose of JRR and RJJJ. My intentions are to ensure I have captured all I can and immerse myself as much as possible in the mythical magic of one of the greatest writers of our time and times gone by while embracing the legacy of perhaps the greatest musical partnership of all time. I have no doubt the experiece will be memorable beyond words...despite the fact that it is the words, both JRR's and RJJJ's that make it so. 

6 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

If I ever get to Jersey, I would definitely check out the devil statue:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Mary,_Jersey

I used to work in Jersey - I have been to Devils Hole and seen the statue - weird fuckers them Islanders. I have a pic somewhere and must check it out. I got very stoned there and it is very creepy. I wouldn't go at night or having dropped some mushrooms;)

10 hours ago, ThunderoftheGods said:

If there are other locales, pubs, and the like that still remain I'd certainly welcome any information anyone can provide. My travels will involve a heavy dose of JRR and RJJJ. My intentions are to ensure I have captured all I can and immerse myself as much as possible in the mythical magic of one of the greatest writers of our time and times gone by while embracing the legacy of perhaps the greatest musical partnership of all time. I have no doubt the experiece will be memorable beyond words...despite the fact that it is the words, both JRR's and RJJJ's that make it so. 

Wales. Check out a detailed map of Wales and you will find JRR's inspiration for place names in his books. On a plus side it is a great country to visit. Wonderful coastline from south to the north, dramatic scenery but odd people who speak a language that no one understands

11 hours ago, ThunderoftheGods said:

If there are other locales, pubs, and the like that still remain I'd certainly welcome any information anyone can provide. 

Bonzo's local, The Chequers (as featured in TSRTS) is still there. Three of Jimmy's previous locals are still there, The Swan in Pangbourne, The Half Moon in Plumpton and The Swan in Clewer (near Windsor). There's the End of the World pub in Fulham, across the street from the former Swan Song offices, where The Yardbirds were photographed outside at the back with Peter Grant dressed as Santa Claus. I have just covered this sort of thing here so many times before I must admit it's difficult to stay motivated to do so again. I do have an article on John Paul Jones discussing his favorite London restaurants I'll post if and when I find it.  

http://www.chequerscutnallgreen.co.uk/

http://www.swanpangbourne.co.uk/

http://www.windsor.gov.uk/food-and-drink/the-swan-p261811

https://www.designmynight.com/london/bars/fulham/worlds-end-market

11 hours ago, ThunderoftheGods said:

Remember to bring an umbrella.

the New Inn in Cutnall Green (as was, now called the Malt Stone) in Cutnall Green is the pub that we see Bonzo pull up outside and go in, in the TSRTS movie. his grave is about 5 minutes away in Russhock

Jimmy's old house in Pangbourne is quite easy to find (in fact, one the main roads through Pangbourne goes right in front of it) - however, to get a good, proper view of it, you"ll need to cross the Thames to see it from the other side. (It is privately owned; I have no idea how receptive the owner would be to anyone wishing to see inside.) The town itself is quite lovely.

The link that someone posted for The Swan is a pub very close to the house. (Point of trivia - when I was outside The Swan, a gorgeous white swan swam right up to me for some food - it all felt very LZ... :) I stayed at a very funky place there called The Elephant - it was oddly fitting given JP's love of things from the Orient - here's the website: http://www.elephanthotel.co.uk/

I also went to Bonham's gravesite as well - very, very moving. It's in the (very small) village of Rushock, in between Bromsgrove and Kidderminster (near Birmingham). Just go to the only church there and you'll find the gravesite.

Enjoy your trip!

17 hours ago, jsj said:

the New Inn in Cutnall Green (as was, now called the Malt Stone) in Cutnall Green is the pub that we see Bonzo pull up outside and go in, in the TSRTS movie. his grave is about 5 minutes away in Russhock

Yes, that's right. I misspoke earlier when I said the Chequers, which is his other local. It was rumored circa 1975 he was going to buy it, but he told the interviewer "I'm not buying the bloody Chequers, mind you I was interested". 

Archived