Do any bands rival Led Zeppelin

jasonlovesvids

Currently? I'd say no. Back in their day? I think Deep Purple came close to matching Zeppelin in terms of pure musicianship. But of course, they were a slightly different animal. I'd also say the Beatles rivaled them in terms of songwriting. Again, though, they were a different styled band.

Ultimately, Zeppelin is in a class by themselves and, while it is fun to make comparisons with other bands, it is basically a question of apples and oranges.

They were unique. Why else would we be on this forum? They could play any style of music. They were inventive, imaginative, progressive and their take on the blues was simply awe inspiring. Simply breathtaking musicianship, and the evolution of their studio songs live......

I'm 42. I've had a wide exposure to lot of great music in my life, thanks to my dad. I love Muddy Waters, Rush, the Beatles, Rory Gallagher, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, the Stones (up till  Mick Taylor left), Donovan, Cat Stevens, the Pogues (and other Irish folk), Zappa.....all sorts of shit. No one comes close.

No other band or individual could span as many musical genres with such ease. 

No one comes close for me. 

No one rivals them for hard rock, but in terms of overall diversity, creativity, power and excellence I would say the following are close.

In no particular order because it all depends on what types of music you like:

Beatles

Pink Floyd  

Yes - up through Tormato

Jethro Tull - a few clunker albums in there (War Child, Too Old to Rock and Roll) but up through Songs From the Wood superb output.  I think Minstrel in the Gallery is their best. 

There is but one band to rival Zeppelin, under appreciated and seldom given credit for the powerhouse that it is.  They arose at about the same time as Zeppelin, they cranked out albums for 30 years & their sound evolved through those years.  In fact they still tour like madmen and jam it out like the rock gods they are.  They pumped out 13 awesome studio albums, one soundtrack,  4 live albums, and one album of their work they did before they became the iconic band they gave the world AND, They gave the rock world a lasting symbol that other bands like Motorhead & Queensryche would use to set themselves apart, the umlaute...

Who are they,  if you havent figured it out yet?

The one & only

blueoystercult.jpg

Give BOC's albums a listen or another go if youve heard them before and youll see.

On 2/24/2017 at 6:06 PM, jasonlovesvids said:

What bands rival LZ?  You can look at it in a couple different ways. Who rivals but I am sure power and musicianship and overall intensity and greatness?

The only thing that truly set Led Zeppelin apart from their peers was the songwriting. There are lots of bands with better musicians but they all lacked a leader like Jimmy Page. He had a vision for just about everything, from the songs and sound through to stage presentation. Having only a ten year career has been a huge help in maintaining the mystique. 

There are a few bands who's 10 year and/or 8 album output starts to rival Led Zeppelin. I'll rule out The Beatles as they stopped touring so early on in their career. But album wise, they rival Led Zeppelin. Same could be said for the Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd, The Doors. 

If Led Zeppelin had stayed together another five years and put out two albums on par with In Through The Out Door and had three tours of North America sounding like the Europe '80 tour, they lustre would have worn off. That White Summer solo would have fallen so flat in North America. The two hour sets would have destroyed some of the mythology. 

Well, about  ten years ago my record collection  enfolded  over 20.000 Vinyl LPs from more than 4000 different  Rock Bands from the 90s back to the 50s. Including  every Led Zep studio album.

Meanwhile I have sold nearly 90 % of my collection and stick strictly to a limit of 3000 LPs.  I've only kept those records and albums  which I rank especially high and like more than many other Bands and musicians.  Amongst the  more popular Bands from which I have disposed  and sold nearly everything are Pink Floyd, Genesis, Black Sabbath, Beatles, Deep Purple, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Smiths, Blue Öyster Cult,  plus  many others.

In fact, I've  only kept the very first Led Zep album from early 1969  in my collection. I still like it, and I rank it somewhere between # 380  to  # 420 of my favorite Top 500 Rock Albums of all- time.  The Band Led Zeppelin itself, well, I put them on position # 835 of my favorite 1000 Rock Groups of all-time.

That's my understanding after so many rehearsals and comparisons between thousands of Bands, musicians and albums over decades.

So,  my verdict is final, objective and well-balanced. Trust me....  desismileys_1210.gif

On 2/27/2017 at 3:29 PM, tyler19 said:

The only thing that truly set Led Zeppelin apart from their peers was the songwriting. There are lots of bands with better musicians but they all lacked a leader like Jimmy Page. He had a vision for just about everything, from the songs and sound through to stage presentation. Having only a ten year career has been a huge help in maintaining the mystique. 

There are a few bands who's 10 year and/or 8 album output starts to rival Led Zeppelin. I'll rule out The Beatles as they stopped touring so early on in their career. But album wise, they rival Led Zeppelin. Same could be said for the Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd, The Doors. 

If Led Zeppelin had stayed together another five years and put out two albums on par with In Through The Out Door and had three tours of North America sounding like the Europe '80 tour, they lustre would have worn off. That White Summer solo would have fallen so flat in North America. The two hour sets would have destroyed some of the mythology. 

I'd argue that not many, if any at all, rivaled Zeppelin as musicians.  John Bonham is not lauded enough.  He might just be the best rock n roll musician of all time.  JPJ - really a musicians musician.  Page, well, I think one of the top 5 guitarists of all time but some will debate that.  Production - nothing close.  Page was in charge of it all.  No one owns his music like Page.  

16 hours ago, Zino said:

Well, about  ten years ago my record collection  enfolded  over 20.000 Vinyl LPs from more than 4000 different  Rock Bands from the 90s back to the 50s. Including  every Led Zep studio album.

Meanwhile I have sold nearly 90 % of my collection and stick strictly to a limit of 3000 LPs.  I've only kept those records and albums  which I rank especially high and like more than many other Bands and musicians.  Amongst the  more popular Bands from which I have disposed  and sold nearly everything are Pink Floyd, Genesis, Black Sabbath, Beatles, Deep Purple, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Smiths, Blue Öyster Cult,  plus  many others.

In fact, I've  only kept the very first Led Zep album from early 1969  in my collection. I still like it, and I rank it somewhere between # 380  to  # 420 of my favorite Top 500 Rock Albums of all- time.  The Band Led Zeppelin itself, well, I put them on position # 835 of my favorite 1000 Rock Groups of all-time.

That's my understanding after so many rehearsals and comparisons between thousands of Bands, musicians and albums over decades.

So,  my verdict is final, objective and well-balanced. Trust me....  desismileys_1210.gif

You must write for Rolling Stone.

Archived