Do any bands rival Led Zeppelin

jasonlovesvids

Led Zeppelin is tied with the Stones for me for my all time favorite rock band, and here's why. Both bands had extremely charismatic singers and guitarists; both had great lyrics, melodies and were extremely versatile in their ability to try, and conquer, other sub-genres. While CCR or such might've done roots rock better than Zeppelin, and Yes did Prog better than Zeppelin, Zeppelin has no parallel in terms of being the perfect, most accessible and melodic distillation of those genres.  Zeppelin for me as no real rival outside of the Stones. Live they had NO match except for the Stones in 1972-1973.

28 minutes ago, reswati said:

. Most of their compositions are horrible, unless you want something to really piss off your neighbors.

Back when I was starting out it in life, I moved into the city in an apartment building that was way up on he 8th floor. There was this guy who every Sunday morning at the crack of dawn would stand out in the middle of the street and play his bagpipes through some sort of a portable speaker system as loud as he could play.

Thats how you piss off your  neighbors - I was so glad to move from that place when I made some money 

13 minutes ago, Clinton P. Desveaux said:

Back when I was starting out it in life, I moved into the city in an apartment building that was way up on he 8th floor. There was this guy who every Sunday morning at the crack of dawn would stand out in the middle of the street and play his bagpipes through some sort of a portable speaker system as loud as he could play.

Thats how you piss off your  neighbors - I was so glad to move from that place when I made some money 

Weird people those Highlanders, lol.

On 3/1/2017 at 6:34 PM, Walter said:

What a troll's paradise...

Don't worry about Inspector Javert.

On 3/1/2017 at 3:56 AM, Zino said:

Talking about Jimmy Page, well, there are at least 60 other guitar players which I rank higher.

Just  a few superior names:

Bert Jansch, Blind Lemon Jefferson,  Blind Blake, Barbeque Bob, Lonnie Johnson, T-Bone Walker, Elmore James, Lowell Fulson, Lightnin' Hopkins,  Lightnin' Slim, Freddie King, Albert King, BB King, Leslie Harvey, Davey Graham, Richard Thompson, Jorma Kaukonen, John Cipollina, Barry Melton, Mike Bloomfield, Peter Green,  Mick Taylor, Dickey Betts, Duane Allman, Johnny Winter, Charlie Whitney, Jerry Garcia, Martin Carthy, Frank Zappa, Bob Mould, J Mascis, Neil Young, Paul Kosoff, Chuck Prophet, John McLaughlin, Richie Blackmore, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Carlos Santana,  Otis Rush, Buddy Guy, Jimi Hendrix, Dick Dale, Wes Montgomery, Rory Gallagher, John Renbourn, Henry Vestine, Pete Townshend, Bill Harkleroad, Jeff Beck, Jim Hall....

No Chet Atkins? No Grant Green? No Charlie Christian?

21 hours ago, reswati said:

I did that om purpose as well..................seitan is a gluten based meat surrogate, hehehe.

This thread deserved some sarcasm due to our new musical messiah and his pompous display of dramatic poserism. Forgive me btw to have you listening to Venom. Most of their compositions are horrible, unless you want something to really piss off your neighbors.

That is Godawful music!!!!!! People actually like and listen to Venom?  Good God man!

On 3.3.2017 at 2:23 AM, ZepHead315 said:

Sounds like someone hasn't heard Offenburg '73....

Those three  clips of  'Dazed and Confused' above from 1973  underline perfectly all the weaknesses & flaws  of a typical Led Zep Concert in the early seventies:   stilted, overdone, artificial, uninspired  performances  from Mr. Page & Mr. Plant. desismileys_6797.gif

It's  really a pitty  that  gifted musicians like John Bonham and John Paul Jones had to play live on stage with such inadequate, synthetic,  limited  teammates desismileys_6040.gif

10 minutes ago, craigled said:

Deffo a troll. Think i might test the ignore button soon. Zino, Go on a Liverpool FC forum and tell them Everton are better.

Exactly Craigled, that's like me coming on here and saying Sabbath are better than Zeppelin, and saying Tony Iommi is better than Jimmy Page, that is trolling , this guy Dino should be ousted and banned from here.

5 minutes ago, BledZabbath said:

Exactly Craigled, that's like me coming on here and saying Sabbath are better than Zeppelin, and saying Tony Iommi is better than Jimmy Page, that is trolling , this guy Dino should be ousted and banned from here.

I've already reported him for trolling. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion, but joining a Zeppelin forum when you don't even like them and then shitting all over their accomplishments...yeah, that's pretty much the textbook definition of trolling.

1 hour ago, ZepHead315 said:

I've already reported him for trolling. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion, but joining a Zeppelin forum when you don't even like them and then shitting all over their accomplishments...yeah, that's pretty much the textbook definition of trolling.

Thank you ZepHead315, that is a service to the forum.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:04 PM, RoundingRover said:

Led Zeppelin is tied with the Stones for me for my all time favorite rock band, and here's why. Both bands had extremely charismatic singers and guitarists; both had great lyrics, melodies and were extremely versatile in their ability to try, and conquer, other sub-genres. While CCR or such might've done roots rock better than Zeppelin, and Yes did Prog better than Zeppelin, Zeppelin has no parallel in terms of being the perfect, most accessible and melodic distillation of those genres.  Zeppelin for me as no real rival outside of the Stones. Live they had NO match except for the Stones in 1972-1973.

For me the other great band along with Zeppelin was Purple, the Stones live was no match for either of them.

On 3/1/2017 at 4:56 AM, Zino said:

Talking about Jimmy Page, well, there are at least 60 other guitar players which I rank higher.

Just  a few superior names:

Bert Jansch, Blind Lemon Jefferson,  Blind Blake, Barbeque Bob, Lonnie Johnson, T-Bone Walker, Elmore James, Lowell Fulson, Lightnin' Hopkins,  Lightnin' Slim, Freddie King, Albert King, BB King, Leslie Harvey, Davey Graham, Richard Thompson, Jorma Kaukonen, John Cipollina, Barry Melton, Mike Bloomfield, Peter Green,  Mick Taylor, Dickey Betts, Duane Allman, Johnny Winter, Charlie Whitney, Jerry Garcia, Martin Carthy, Frank Zappa, Bob Mould, J Mascis, Neil Young, Paul Kosoff, Chuck Prophet, John McLaughlin, Richie Blackmore, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Carlos Santana,  Otis Rush, Buddy Guy, Jimi Hendrix, Dick Dale, Wes Montgomery, Rory Gallagher, John Renbourn, Henry Vestine, Pete Townshend, Bill Harkleroad, Jeff Beck, Jim Hall....

Together with  Eric Clapton  and  a certain Robert  Johnson  some decades earlier,  I  say that Mr. Page  is one of the three most overrated guitar players of all-time.  Especially live on stage Page  was often a big disappointment, if not a major disaster desismileys_0869.gif

LMAO..you're a joke!~  Pete Townsend?  I play better than him and I suck at guitar playiing!

Zino  :wave:  I'll wager that is a list of names found on another site written by somebody else and
unrelated to the subject "Guitar Players better than Jimmy Page"  That list is not something
you personally came up with yourself.  It's something you're using as a prop to help with this
fun game you're playing on the Led Zeppelin  site

As for you ranking all those people above Jimmy.  Oh my I feel faint...I need to lie down.:lol:  
You don't have to rank him number 1 or even top 5 (Craaazzzyyy
:wacko:)  but damn to rank him
so low makes everybody in the room want to walk away from you at the party and leave you
standing all by your lonesome.     

Apologies to you Zino if you love  comic sans  and went out of your way to manually type all
of those names with such a nice font.  It's a fave of mine too.  Brings back memories of being a
young girl on MSN messenger and chatting about boys. 
:cheer:

Archived