Nobody's Fault But Mine....live

ThreeSticks

Nobody's Fault But Mine may not be one of my favorite LZ songs on record, but it is certainly one of my favorite LZ songs live in concert. Why? The guitar solo. I just absolutely love it when just before the solo Robert goes "jimmy, oh Jimmy, come on Jimmy, oh yeah Jimmy" or whatever variation Robert used to use from gig to gig. Imagine what used to go thru Jimmy's head before the solo when Robert was belting out his name. He must've felt like a soldier preparing for battle, a tiger preparing to attack it's prey, a boxer preparing to enter the ring, a sprinter jumping up and down before the 100 meter dash, etc. The anticipation of what's to come. How the audience is going to roar when the first note is hit.

I would imagine that he felt such a sense of power in that moment.

I don't know who came up with that idea for Robert to lead Jimmy into the solo like that, but was more powerful than any smoke bomb or laser beam effect I've ever seen at a concert. And it was something that the band could do even if it was playing a small club.

1977 versions are good, the great Millard audience recordings have solid versions, as do some of the soundboards like 5/30/77. There are other versions from '77 that are good that we have on soundboard, but some are kinda sloppy. Jimmy rarely "nails" a Nobody's Fault solo, but a few notes here and there no big deal. Its heavier in '77 than the album version, thats for sure. Oh, and DVD version, the ones from 1979 Knebworth should do it justice.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived