Tour Over Europe Poster

terry

Hi Forum 

First post on this or any other site so here goes recently bought 1980 Tour Over Europe Poster the maroon one with the soldier looking up.I do relies there are a lot of fakes out there would like to know if mine is genuine before i think about getting it framed.I have heard you can tell real from fake with the swansong logo would anyone on this site know what they are or could steer me in the right direction.The poster size i have is 760cm  27.795 inches long and 510cm 20.079 inches  wide can take pictures if need be.Thanks guys for reading my post hopefully someone on here can help me out .Terry 

Hi Terry,

Here's one from Peter Grant's estate. The dimensions of your poster don't match it. Reproductions also tend to have a high gloss finish with bright white borders. I'll see if I have other notes on file with regard to distinguishing differences between originals and reproductions.  

http://tracksauction.auctionserver.net/view-auctions/catalog/id/77/lot/820/?url=%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F77%3Fcat%3D1%26page%3D1%26items%3D10 

One last thing, it's not a soldier that's depicted it's a member of London's Auxiliary Fire Service. The image was taken from the front cover of Picture Post (May 27, 1939 issue) a UK magazine.

NEED%201939%2005%2027%20%20Picture%20Pos 

Hi steve

Thanks for replying your right my mistake is air warden looking up not soldier do you know the correct size of the poster or any other distinguishing marks my poster is a dull red not glossy and border is an off white no bright border having trouble loading picture for you too see im not very savy with phone or computer will keep trying thanks mate for taking the time to read my post was reading posts about this poster that was written a few years ago was hoping someone like yourself or shinedaddy would respond.Thanks Steve

shinedaddy would know off the top of his head as he specializes in vintage posters, but he hasn't posted here in quite a while. 

Obviously, non-glossy is good news, but not definitive in and of itself that it's an original, as the measurements come into play.

I've got to dig for my notes. 

Hey Steve

My mistake again poster size is 76cm long by 51cm wide not 760cm by 510cm used to working in millimeters here in Australia should have put 760mm by 510mm not centimeters my bad 

1 hour ago, terry said:

Thanks Steve no worries would you recommend those dealers

The auction house in the link I posted? Yes. I don't know who or how you obtained the poster.

44 minutes ago, terry said:

Hey Steve

My mistake again poster size is 76cm long by 51cm wide not 760cm by 510cm used to working in millimeters here in Australia should have put 760mm by 510mm not centimeters my bad 

Non-glossy with the Swan Song logo and 76cm by 51cm dimensions matches the original. STILL, it could be a reprint. Do you have a letter of provenance to go with it? I would think very few made their way from Europe to Australia outside of auction house/dedicated fan circles. 

Hi Steve

Sorry about late reply tlme difference here in oz i am the buyer of that poster in that particular auction was seeing if they were trusted and respected hard to get a judge from were i am as you said definitely not many if any would have made their way down here. I tried R.Barrett but have had no luck.The post from a few years ago unfortunately has nobody saying what the actual correct sizes are and the tell tale signs between fake and repros R.Barrett says the swan song logo does anybody else know with the logo Shinedaddy said he knows the proper sizes and other markings but unfortunately he didnt divulge and he hasn't posted for a long time as you said.I hope he is ok.I do believe i could have an original its not in the best shape but it would be good to know for sure. If i know what some of these tell tale signs are between fake and real ie swan song logo proper size and other markings and if i am lucky enough to have an original i wouldnt mind comparing mine to save people from getting ripped off.Like to say thanks again steve for taking the time in reading and replying to my posts your knowledge and honestly has been much appreciated. 

20 minutes ago, terry said:

Hi Steve

Sorry about late reply tlme difference here in oz i am the buyer of that poster in that particular auction was seeing if they were trusted and respected hard to get a judge from were i am as you said definitely not many if any would have made their way down here. I tried R.Barrett but have had no luck.The post from a few years ago unfortunately has nobody saying what the actual correct sizes are and the tell tale signs between fake and repros R.Barrett says the swan song logo does anybody else know with the logo Shinedaddy said he knows the proper sizes and other markings but unfortunately he didnt divulge and he hasn't posted for a long time as you said.I hope he is ok.I do believe i could have an original its not in the best shape but it would be good to know for sure. If i know what some of these tell tale signs are between fake and real ie swan song logo proper size and other markings and if i am lucky enough to have an original i wouldnt mind comparing mine to save people from getting ripped off.Like to say thanks again steve for taking the time in reading and replying to my posts your knowledge and honestly has been much appreciated. 

That particular auctioneer had offered several authentic, high-end Led Zeppelin items so I personally would have bid with confidence. Additionally, I am aware that many years ago a few of the posters were found in a storage trunk that had belonged to Peter Grant. Rick Barrett's (previous) comments can be found in the Tour of Europe Poster link that Sam provided. Rick has not been feeling well lately, so it could be awhile before he replies to my inquiry and besides, I don't think there's much more that he could add to his previous comments on this topic. Shinedaddy specializes in rare posters, but fan forums aren't particularly conducive to that, so he only dropped by here and elsewhere occasionally.  

Thanks Steve

Yeah i do have confidence in tracks as i have bought a number of posters of them in the past am particularly fond of 1971 Empire Pool Wembley 'Electric Magic 'poster and Earls Court 'Physical Rocket' and a few others i have bought from them.I know the Earls Court and Tour over Europe poster have been heavily reproduced thats why i am asking to see if anyone who reads this can give some answers always good to get second opinions from people like yourself who seem to know about original Led Zeppelin memorabilia. Not good to hear about rick not feeling well i hope he makes a speedy  recovery. Hopefully he can shed some light on the logo in past thread from a few years ago he was quoted you can tell from the logo but  there was no examples to tell real from fake when it comes to the logo hopefully when rick is better he can let us know .So at the moment im still none the wiser when it comes to this poster its a shame shinedaddy hasnt posted for a while sounds like he could have put some light on the subject.Thanks again steve for reading and replying hopefully one day all will be revealed. 

On 3/4/2017 at 7:56 PM, terry said:

Thanks Steve

Yeah i do have confidence in tracks as i have bought a number of posters of them in the past am particularly fond of 1971 Empire Pool Wembley 'Electric Magic 'poster and Earls Court 'Physical Rocket' and a few others i have bought from them.I know the Earls Court and Tour over Europe poster have been heavily reproduced thats why i am asking to see if anyone who reads this can give some answers always good to get second opinions from people like yourself who seem to know about original Led Zeppelin memorabilia. Not good to hear about rick not feeling well i hope he makes a speedy  recovery. Hopefully he can shed some light on the logo in past thread from a few years ago he was quoted you can tell from the logo but  there was no examples to tell real from fake when it comes to the logo hopefully when rick is better he can let us know .So at the moment im still none the wiser when it comes to this poster its a shame shinedaddy hasnt posted for a while sounds like he could have put some light on the subject.Thanks again steve for reading and replying hopefully one day all will be revealed. 

Have you tried sending shinedaddy a message through the forum messaging system?

If he receives a notification he'll probably drop in or reply to you.  He hasn't been active on any forum that he was on that I'm also on for quite some time.  But awhile back I sent him a PM on RO.com and he responded.  

Thanks Eddiel

Yeah sent one couple of hours ago Eddie hopefully he responds thanks mate for the heads up on how to get in contact with him unfortunately im not very computer literate will also try the other Avenue you suggested thanks again mate be cool to get some questions answered 

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:56 AM, terry said:

Not good to hear about rick not feeling well i hope he makes a speedy  recovery. Hopefully he can shed some light on the logo in past thread from a few years ago he was quoted you can tell from the logo but  there was no examples to tell real from fake when it comes to the logo hopefully when rick is better he can let us know.

Rick's battling a cold, nothing serious. With regard to the Swan Song logo, some of the reproductions have none so that is one easy way to tell the difference. 

This from Rick Barrett:

Thanks Steve; still battling the flu. One of the things I wished I'd done before closing Merit Adventures was to write up exactly what you've asked for...a concise article with pictures on how to tell genuine TOE 80 posters from the zillions of repros. I get SO many people emailing me about that; basically it's like an Object...once you've seen an original you'll always be able to tell what's real and what's not. For these posters the things to look at are the size, distinct (dark) color, and the crispness of the Swan Song logo. Many repros are OK, yet none match up to the quality of originals. And there were actually VERY few originals distributed; there's WAY more repros. My guess would be maybe 500 or 1,000 genuine ones were made, few survived after being circulated, and there were at least 10,000 repros in varying sizes and colors made in the 90's...I had over 1,000 of them. Anyhow, good luck and thanks for keeping in touch...I should have about 150 Zep items in my eBay store in 2 weeks; I'll work on those once I feel better.

Thanks steve 

Yeah mate I am starting to feel pretty confident that I have an original what rick says does coincide with the poster i have. the logo is very crisp and detailed compared to others i have seen on past threads and on other sites.will definitely get some clear and close up pictures Of the logo for people to see and compare their own.once again  steve really appreciate your imput on this topic thanks for getting in touch with rick your time and persistence on this topic has been greatly appreciated thanks again mate will post some pictures soon.

Thanks steve 

Yeah mate I am starting to feel pretty confident that I have an original what rick says does coincide with the poster i have. the logo is very crisp and detailed compared to others i have seen on past threads and on other sites.will definitely get some clear and close up pictures Of the logo for people to see and compare their own.once again  steve really appreciate your imput on this topic thanks for getting in touch with rick your time and persistence on this topic has been greatly appreciated thanks again mate will post some pictures soon.

20170309_163806.jpg

20170309_163806.jpg

20170309_163755.jpg

Archived