Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Bonzo_fan

Updated Soundboard Wish List

62 posts in this topic

As we now know that the next soundboard release will be one of the "Grandaddies Of Them All," March 21, 1975 Seattle, a show which has long been at or near the top of many of our "soundboard wish lists," my question is: what is your updated soundboard wish list? 

So as to avoid the usual "anything from 1970-72" comments, or the obvious choices of 9/19/70 New York & 6/19/72 Seattle, let's limit it to the period from which most of these "Soundboard Revolution" releases seem to come, namely the 1973, 1975 & 1977 North American Tours.

Let's say top 10 to keep it simple, and feel free to provide as detailed (or not) a rationale as you like for your choices.  I think it makes it more interesting to avoid shows that already have a high-quality audience recording, but if you want to say 6/21/77, knock yourself out.

I'll start:

1.  June 22, 1977 - Los Angeles - I firmly believe that this is the best show of 1977.  It has all of the energy, virtuosity and dazzle of June 21 & June 23, but tighter and with more focus.  On June 21, it is obvious just by listening to it that they are bubbling over with excitement to be back in L.A., and it is possible to be a bit too worked up for a performance--I am in no way saying that 6/21 is a bad show, just second-best of '77 in my opinion.  The only real screw-ups on 6/22 (if you can call them that) are Jimmy's broken strings in "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp" and "Achilles Last Stand".  I may even go so far as to say that Bonham plays even better here than on 6/21 (blasphemous, I know).

The highlights:

- Tight, powerful, fierce 1-2-3 punch to start things off

- Possibly the best-ever "In My Time Of Dying"

- Great "Since I've Been Loving You"

- Fantastic, and longest-ever (34:08) "No Quarter"

- One of the better "Ten Years Gone"'s you will hear

- One of my all-time favourite Plantations before "The Battle Of Evermore," where Plant says that Bonham can often be found "face-down on Sunset Boulevard, scrutinizing the concrete sidewalk"

- Solid acoustic set, would be nice to enjoy "Going To California" without the guy yelling "fuck all you pigs!"

- Nice "White Summer/Black Mountain Side," with the "Swan Song"/"Midnight Moonlight" tease leading into an excellent, powerful "Kashmir"

- Fantastic "Over The Top"--best of the L.A. run, and one of the best of '77 (5/22 Ft. Worth wins for sure).  I used to say that 6/25 was the best "Over The Top" of the L.A. run because it's the longest, which when it comes to his solos is usually a good indication of how into it he was, but this one is 17 minutes of "raw power" (for those of you who have seen Step Brothers).  He has his foot on the accelerator right from the start of the "Out On The Tiles" riff, and keeps it there the whole way through, playing with a level of energy and especially precision which was often lacking in his solos in '77

- One of, if not the best, "Over The Hills And Far Away"

- Great, focused "Noise Solo" leading into my favourite "Achilles Last Stand" of all time

- Strong candidate for best post-Plant's peak "Stairway To Heaven"--bonus points for actually echoing "laughter" rather than the "does anyone remember laughter?" line, and for Jimmy jumping straight into the solo after the fanfare like on the studio version, as opposed to staying on the twelve-string for an extra bar as was usually done live

- Solid, energetic encores

2.  June 3, 1973 - Los Angeles - Quite possibly the best show of 1973.  Beats out my other choice from '73 (see #5) because of the extra encores and because the existing recording of it is worse (cuts, distortion, speed fluctuations, etc.).

3.  June 13, 1977 - New York - Very slightly edges out #4.  I've always loved this show, and think it could be a strong contender for best show of 1977 if it were heard in better quality.

4.  April 30, 1977 - Pontiac - Another one of the very best shows of 1977, with bonus points for its historical significance of being a world record for paid attendance for a single act at the time (76,229).  Has one of the better "Achilles Last Stand"'s as it stays much closer to the studio tempo than was the norm for '77, allowing for a bit more intricacy from Jimmy.  The whole band sound very focused this show, especially Jimmy, and everything sounds very deliberate, with slightly slower tempos than usual (not plodding, but studio-like).  This could be because of the attendance record, but I have always considered it to be the strongest evidence that the show was being recorded.  Also has not the best, but definitely the heaviest "Trampled Under Foot".

5.  July 21, 1973 - Providence - My favourite show of 1973, would love to hear it in better quality, and to have "Dazed And Confused," "Moby Dick," (I'm a drummer...don't judge) and "Whole Lotta Love" without the cuts.

6.  March 12, 1975 - Long Beach - Quite possibly the second best show of 1975 after the forthcoming 3/21 Seattle show, existing recording is not very good until the end.

7.  June 26, 1977 - Los Angeles - Very tight show with an excellent (and the third-longest ever) "No Quarter," one of Jimmy's best "Noise Solo"'s, great "Stairway To Heaven," and an excellent, rare encore of "It'll Be Me," among other highlights.  One of the best shows of 1977.

8.  April 28, 1977 - Cleveland - Another from the upper-echelon of 1977 shows, which currently exists only in a not-so-great audience recording.

9.  January 20, 1975 - Chicago - Would be nice to have a live version of "When The Levee Breaks" in decent quality.

10.  April 10, 1977 - Chicago - I hate to admit that I've never actually listened to this one (if I remember correctly, the one time that I started to, I found the sound quality to be insufferably bad), but it was supposedly a very good show.

 

I figured it would be easier to make a separate list for shows of which no recording currently circulates:

1.  May 31, 1977 - Greensboro - Bonzo's Birthday Party, Vol. II sounds pretty good to me, and I think in a few of the reviews on the Timeline section of the official site, "Black Dog" is listed as a second encore.

2.  January 18, 1975 - Minneapolis - First show of the 1975 tour, and I remember reading somewhere that Plant got the flu after this show, so it's possible that he was actually in as good of voice as he would be in until late-March at this show, which would be awesome to hear on "When The Levee Breaks" and "The Wanton Song".  The reviews on the official timeline are also overwhelmingly positive.

3.  May 19, 1977 - Baton Rouge - Based on the strength of the shows surrounding it, and the band's affinity for the area as evidenced on previous tours, this was probably a killer show.

4.  April 1, 1977 - Dallas - First show of the 1977 tour, live debut of several songs, and I recall reading a review that listed "Black Dog" in the encores, which as many of you know was rare in '77.

5.  February 27, 1975 - Houston - I could have went with another of the "Missing Seven" from '77 here, but since I have no idea which I would prefer, I'll go with this one as it featured the debut of the grand piano in "No Quarter".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You and I think alike! ;) Of the range you specified, 6/22/77 is definitely at the top of my list. Even though I'd love a soundboard for all of the LA 77 run, I can deal with the Millard recordings being the only sources available because they're so fantastic. But 6/22/77 is a monster! I agree that it's probably equal, if not superior, to Eddie and Badgeholders. And it has my favorite ever versions of IMTOD and OTHAFA. 

So that sits at number one for me. Here's the rest of my top 10:

2. 4/28/77

3. 6/13/77

4. 4/30/77

5. 1/18/75

6. 5/31/77

7. 3/12/75

8. 7/20/77 - I know this won't be pretty but I'd love to hear the first half of this show. Plus ALS from this show is "so bad it's good" for me! :lol:

9. 4/10/77

10. 7/21/73

As you can see, I'd much rather we have more soundboards from 77 than 75 or 73. Although my number one all time wish for a soundboard is 6/19/72 (please, please exist!!!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we're talking the NA tours from 73,75,77 then it's the 73 shows at LA, Providence, and Baltimore (Plant's best gig post Japan 72) and Long Beach 75. Really not a fan of 77, unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, blooze said:

If we're talking the NA tours from 73,75,77 then it's the 73 shows at LA, Providence, and Baltimore (Plant's best gig post Japan 72) and Long Beach 75. Really not a fan of 77, unfortunately.

I agree with this.  77 is so well regarded  around this forum but I rarely listen to those shows anymore. Although, I recently listened to 6/25/77 and really enjoyed that show. It's one of the few 77 tour shows that builds. It doesn't fizzle down like many did from that tour. I'd love to hear a board tape of that one. Most of the 77 boards highlight the blemishes too much, mainly Jimmy's erratic playing. In addition to his sloppy fragmented execution, he often sounds to me like he isn't as in sync with the rhythm section as on earlier tours. I think all the drugs really affected his time. 

From '73 I'd love to hear Minneapolis , Detroit, and Milwaukee in addition to the ones you noted. 6/3/73 would be a mutha to have in a SBD!  I would be happy with any '73 show. The complete Denver or Houston shows! How about Pittsburgh? I've got enough '75 boards and this new release will be paramount to all the others IMO. Just a great show all around. So, drop some '73 SBDs pleeze! 

Edited by porgie66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition to Providence and Baltimore from '73, I'd add Pittsburgh and the first night in NY.  And complete versions of both Detroit shows.  Actually, come to think of it, just the 2nd half of the '73 NA tour, just like we very likely have the 2nd half of '75.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

In addition to Providence and Baltimore from '73, I'd add Pittsburgh and the first night in NY.  And complete versions of both Detroit shows.  Actually, come to think of it, just the 2nd half of the '73 NA tour, just like we very likely have the 2nd half of '75.

Yes!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd agree with everything mentioned, and I know you don't want 69-72 mentioned, but I've just got to throw this out here since there are references to 6/19/72 in Seattle.  Those two Nassau shows are PHENOMENAL! The start of that 6/15 show is Zep in all their glory. And that D&C is pure ZEPPELIN NASTINESS! And to me, both those audience recordings are better than the credit they get. Very listenable to me. Both are on my Holy Grail list.

But if I could pick a few sbd's from 73-77 it'd be: 6/3/73; the January 75 Chicago shows; 4/28/77 (would love to compare this board to the previous night's board) and I agree with your choice for the LA run... that 6/22/77 show is highly underrated due to its source. That show is badass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn Bonzo_fan...it's like you read my mind. Your list is strikingly similar to mine.

Glad to see the love being shown to 6.22.77 by Bonzo_fan, ZepHead315, et al. Since picking up "Second Night at the Forum" a few years ago, 6.22.77 has been an immediate favourite from the 1977 tour and one of the new additions to my Essential Led Zeppelin Boots list.

I'm in the middle of several writing projects, and upgrading my Essential list is one of them. Two shows that I didn't have the last time I made the list...the evening 9.19.70 and 6.22.77...were immediate additions.

Most of the shows on everyone's lists above are what I would put on my list, with the added inclusion of Boston July 20, 1973. The show sounds like a riot but the audience tape is poor.

I also would place a greater preference for 1973-75 soundboards than 1977. Especially the January 1975 shows with When the Levee Breaks, Wanton Song, How Many More Times. Those existing audience tapes suck. And we have all heard how great the 1975 boards have been...a nice, warm, full sound.

Frankly, the 6.22.77 audience tape is good enough for me to enjoy the show...and to tell it's a killer. It's an easier listen for my ears than the 3.12.75 Long Beach tape (not counting the Mike Millard tape from Stairway thru the encores).

The problem is how bad the 1977 soundboards are compared to the other boards. They sound thin and harsh and make Jonesy's Alembic's twang even more pronounced. I forget which soundboard it was...New York, Cleveland, or maybe Houston...but Jonesy's bass on "Whole Lotta Love"-"Rock and Roll" sounded ridiculous.

When you listen to audience tapes from 1977, the bass sounds a little better, a little fuller....still not as good as the sound you heard at the actual concert but still better than the boards.

The 1977 boards also do no favours to Bonham's drum sound and they turn Jimmy's guitar into a muddy sludge. Compare the 1977 "Song Remains the Same" with 1975 or 1973. The 12-string is bright and rings like a bell on the boards from '73-'75. Not on the '77 tapes...far from it.

So I think there is a definite possibility that a soundboard of 6.22.77 could actually make the show sound worse than the audience tape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Strider said:

Damn Bonzo_fan...it's like you read my mind. Your list is strikingly similar to mine.

Glad to see the love being shown to 6.22.77 by Bonzo_fan, ZepHead315, et al. Since picking up "Second Night at the Forum" a few years ago, 6.22.77 has been an immediate favourite from the 1977 tour and one of the new additions to my Essential Led Zeppelin Boots list.

I'm in the middle of several writing projects, and upgrading my Essential list is one of them. Two shows that I didn't have the last time I made the list...the evening 9.19.70 and 6.22.77...were immediate additions.

Most of the shows on everyone's lists above are what I would put on my list, with the added inclusion of Boston July 20, 1973. The show sounds like a riot but the audience tape is poor.

I also would place a greater preference for 1973-75 soundboards than 1977. Especially the January 1975 shows with When the Levee Breaks, Wanton Song, How Many More Times. Those existing audience tapes suck. And we have all heard how great the 1975 boards have been...a nice, warm, full sound.

Frankly, the 6.22.77 audience tape is good enough for me to enjoy the show...and to tell it's a killer. It's an easier listen for my ears than the 3.12.75 Long Beach tape (not counting the Mike Millard tape from Stairway thru the encores).

The problem is how bad the 1977 soundboards are compared to the other boards. They sound thin and harsh and make Jonesy's Alembic's twang even more pronounced. I forget which soundboard it was...New York, Cleveland, or maybe Houston...but Jonesy's bass on "Whole Lotta Love"-"Rock and Roll" sounded ridiculous.

When you listen to audience tapes from 1977, the bass sounds a little better, a little fuller....still not as good as the sound you heard at the actual concert but still better than the boards.

The 1977 boards also do no favours to Bonham's drum sound and they turn Jimmy's guitar into a muddy sludge. Compare the 1977 "Song Remains the Same" with 1975 or 1973. The 12-string is bright and rings like a bell on the boards from '73-'75. Not on the '77 tapes...far from it.

So I think there is a definite possibility that a soundboard of 6.22.77 could actually make the show sound worse than the audience tape.

That's a good point about the sound of the '77 boards.  The Godfather remaster of Seattle sounds pretty good, but that's the video soundtrack, not a true soundboard.  I would like to at least hear the 6/22 "No Quarter" in soundboard quality--the 6/11 one sounds pretty good that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My soundboard holy grail will forever be Pontiac 77. However I've been on a serious North America 1973 kick as of late. If I had to pick just 10 shows it'd be:

1973/05/04
1973/06/03
1973/07/23
1973/07/24
1975/01/11
1975/03/12
1975/03/27
1977/04/10
1977/05/31
1977/06/08

Also I'd like upgrades of the '73 soundboards we already have, i.e. 96/24 DATs transferred direct from the complete master recordings.
Naturally I want all the LA '77 shows but what good's beating a dead horse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sue Dounim said:

My soundboard holy grail will forever be Pontiac 77. However I've been on a serious North America 1973 kick as of late. If I had to pick just 10 shows it'd be:

1973/05/04
1973/06/03
1973/07/23
1973/07/24
1975/01/11
1975/03/12
1975/03/27
1977/04/10
1977/05/31
1977/06/08

Also I'd like upgrades of the '73 soundboards we already have, i.e. 96/24 DATs transferred direct from the complete master recordings.
Naturally I want all the LA '77 shows but what good's beating a dead horse

No love for 7.20.73 and 7.21.73, Sue? 

My 10 show wish list for soundboards:

1. 6.3.73 Forum (Natch!)

2. 3.12.75 Long Beach (Natch again!)

3. 1.20.75 Chicago (Levee! Wanton! Times!)

4. 7.20.73 Boston

5. 7.21.73 Providence (Boston and Providence I consider a package deal...like twins. Two shows linked together by date and geography. The audience tapes are poor but they give just enough hint that the band is cooking...and driving the audience batshit crazy.)

6. 1.18.75 Minneapolis (Just what was their state on the first night?)

7. 2.27.75 Houston (any Led Zeppelin fan should welcome the addition of another 1975 Kashmir, No Quarter groove, Dazed and Confused Woodstock-bow interlude and outro jam, and Theremin battle-funky jam!)

8. 4.30.77 Pontiac Silverdome (actually more a video wish list a la Seattle Kingdome, but a videotrack or soundboard will do)

9. 6.22.77 Forum (Jimmy's pants are falling down!)

10. 4.28.77 Cleveland (so many damn cuts and missing Plantations in the audience tape)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Providence quite alot, I was just knew it was something most people in this thread would want. As far as 7/20, I havent heard it and I know they end the show with no encore because of the crowd so I'd rather have a show where theyre in a good mood

8 hours ago, Strider said:

No love for 7.20.73 and 7.21.73, Sue? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is:

 

The complete board tape from Toronto Sep 4 1971

Anything from Australia 72

Nassau Coliseum June 72 shows

Baltimore 72

Second half of 73 ( Boston, Providence, Detroit, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh) 

Chicago '75 for Levee and Wanton Song

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would love 5/3/71 Copenhagen and of course 6/22/77 like everyone else has stated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sue Dounim said:

I love Providence quite alot, I was just knew it was something most people in this thread would want. As far as 7/20, I havent heard it and I know they end the show with no encore because of the crowd so I'd rather have a show where theyre in a good mood

 

I haven't listened to all of 7/20, but what I have heard is really good...sometimes angry playing is good playing!  Depending on the setlist, that is...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, keeping in mind that we're limiting it to 73, 75, and 77, I'll think of one from each tour.

First out the gate is Providence on July 21.  This one is such an easy pick for me, both because it's one of the bands best nights ever and definitely Robert's best of the year.  It's a real shame that they didn't start testing the tapes for Song Remains the Same until the following show in Baltimore :(

75 is a bit of a tough one, because with Seattle coming out now, it's hard to think of what might top it, especially for shows we don't have on soundboard already.  So I'll go with the opener in Minnesota, especially if it's true that Robert was still in good voice.  If they had good performances of The Wanton Song and When The Levee Breaks, it'd be a real treat!

So then we get to 77.  This is the toughest one to choose for...28 April in Cleveland is a fantastic show.  On the other hand, I get the feeling 31 May in Greensboro was maybe the best one of the year and we don't have a recording at all.  I'm going to play it safe and choose Cleveland.

I'll also throw in the Copenhagen warmups in 1979.  It's hard for me to believe there isn't a soundboard from those two shows when it's so late in their career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

I haven't listened to all of 7/20, but what I have heard is really good...sometimes angry playing is good playing!  Depending on the setlist, that is...

Despite the crowd problems and rather mediocre recording, the playing at this show really is excellent, not unlike Seattle three nights earlier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2017 at 9:09 AM, Sue Dounim said:

My soundboard holy grail will forever be Pontiac 77. However I've been on a serious North America 1973 kick as of late. If I had to pick just 10 shows it'd be:

1973/05/04
1973/06/03
1973/07/23
1973/07/24
1975/01/11
1975/03/12
1975/03/27
1977/04/10
1977/05/31
1977/06/08

Also I'd like upgrades of the '73 soundboards we already have, i.e. 96/24 DATs transferred direct from the complete master recordings.
Naturally I want all the LA '77 shows but what good's beating a dead horse

I've always wanted to hear the "Dazed And Confused" from 7/23/73 after reading the review of that show on theyearofledzeppelin.com, but it's nowhere to be found on YouTube, and there aren't any samples of it on Black Beauty :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ArmsofAtlas1977 said:

Okay, keeping in mind that we're limiting it to 73, 75, and 77, I'll think of one from each tour.

First out the gate is Providence on July 21.  This one is such an easy pick for me, both because it's one of the bands best nights ever and definitely Robert's best of the year.  It's a real shame that they didn't start testing the tapes for Song Remains the Same until the following show in Baltimore :(

75 is a bit of a tough one, because with Seattle coming out now, it's hard to think of what might top it, especially for shows we don't have on soundboard already.  So I'll go with the opener in Minnesota, especially if it's true that Robert was still in good voice.  If they had good performances of The Wanton Song and When The Levee Breaks, it'd be a real treat!

So then we get to 77.  This is the toughest one to choose for...28 April in Cleveland is a fantastic show.  On the other hand, I get the feeling 31 May in Greensboro was maybe the best one of the year and we don't have a recording at all.  I'm going to play it safe and choose Cleveland.

I'll also throw in the Copenhagen warmups in 1979.  It's hard for me to believe there isn't a soundboard from those two shows when it's so late in their career.

Those audience tapes are sooooo good though, especially the 24th.  I'm not sure how much a soundboard could add.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Since several have mentioned it, yes of course 6/19/72 is forever #1 on my list (I guess if the supposed 4-hour Boston Tea Party show in '69 really was that long and exists, that might be #1).

Pre-1973 North America:

1.  June 19, 1972 - Seattle

2.  September 19, 1970 (Evening Show) - New York

3.  September 29, 1971 - Osaka

4.  May 3, 1971 - Copenhagen

5.  June 28, 1970 - Bath Festival

6.  March 21, 1973 - Hamburg (complete)

7.  March 24, 1973 - Offenburg -- could make for an interesting matrix

& anything else from Europe '73.

Edited by Bonzo_fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

January 1975. I'd love to get a full board of Brussels/Rotterdam, just to see what state the band were really in, and what they played. Then 01/22 in Chicago for HMMT and Wanton Song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/03/2017 at 8:16 AM, Strider said:

Damn Bonzo_fan...it's like you read my mind. Your list is strikingly similar to mine.

Glad to see the love being shown to 6.22.77 by Bonzo_fan, ZepHead315, et al. Since picking up "Second Night at the Forum" a few years ago, 6.22.77 has been an immediate favourite from the 1977 tour and one of the new additions to my Essential Led Zeppelin Boots list.

I'm in the middle of several writing projects, and upgrading my Essential list is one of them. Two shows that I didn't have the last time I made the list...the evening 9.19.70 and 6.22.77...were immediate additions.

Most of the shows on everyone's lists above are what I would put on my list, with the added inclusion of Boston July 20, 1973. The show sounds like a riot but the audience tape is poor.

I also would place a greater preference for 1973-75 soundboards than 1977. Especially the January 1975 shows with When the Levee Breaks, Wanton Song, How Many More Times. Those existing audience tapes suck. And we have all heard how great the 1975 boards have been...a nice, warm, full sound.

Frankly, the 6.22.77 audience tape is good enough for me to enjoy the show...and to tell it's a killer. It's an easier listen for my ears than the 3.12.75 Long Beach tape (not counting the Mike Millard tape from Stairway thru the encores).

The problem is how bad the 1977 soundboards are compared to the other boards. They sound thin and harsh and make Jonesy's Alembic's twang even more pronounced. I forget which soundboard it was...New York, Cleveland, or maybe Houston...but Jonesy's bass on "Whole Lotta Love"-"Rock and Roll" sounded ridiculous.

When you listen to audience tapes from 1977, the bass sounds a little better, a little fuller....still not as good as the sound you heard at the actual concert but still better than the boards.

The 1977 boards also do no favours to Bonham's drum sound and they turn Jimmy's guitar into a muddy sludge. Compare the 1977 "Song Remains the Same" with 1975 or 1973. The 12-string is bright and rings like a bell on the boards from '73-'75. Not on the '77 tapes...far from it.

So I think there is a definite possibility that a soundboard of 6.22.77 could actually make the show sound worse than the audience tape.

Agreed about 77 boards, they sound very unbalanced out of the box. But they can be tweaked. What do you make of the Winson 04/27 remaster? I reckon that sounds great, much better than the raw board, and shows that gig in a better light.

It's odd that some venues simply don't seem to leak when it comes to soundboards. We've had nothing from Chicago or the Forum as part of the 'Revolution', despite lots of shows there. So looks like we're safe in not getting anything from the LA 77 run!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Since several have mentioned it, yes of course 6/19/72 is forever #1 on my list (I guess if the supposed 4-hour Boston Tea Party show in '69 really was that long and exists, that might be #1).

Pre-1973 North America:

1.  June 19, 1972 - Seattle

2.  September 19, 1970 (Evening Show) - New York

3.  September 29, 1971 - Osaka

4.  May 3, 1971 - Copenhagen

5.  June 28, 1970 - Bath Festival

6.  March 21, 1973 - Hamburg (complete)

7.  March 24, 1973 - Offenburg -- could make for an interesting matrix

& anything else from Europe '73.

I thought the general consensus was that the tape we have is the soundboard of this show (with various audience recordings filling in the gaps). It's a shame too, because, even though it's clear, it's pretty unbalanced (Robert being buried, etc.) for a soundboard. Oh well, at least we have the full show. Now I would definitely love for the previous show on the 28th to have a full soundboard (instead of just the snippet we have of Black Dog). That show is on the same level as the 29th. That tour of Japan truly was amazing! If we're talking soundboard wish lists in general with no restrictions, here's mine:

1. 6/19/72

2. 9/19/70 (evening show) - I don't anything needs to be said for these first two shows

3. 6/22/77 - see above

4. 9/28/71 - we already have a solid audience recording for most of the show, but it'd be nice to hear the encores in better sound quality

5. 3/24/73 - one of Jimmy's best (if not his very best) shows. This whole Euro run is amazing!

6. 6/28/70 - would be nice to have something other than the mediocre recordings we currently have

7. 1/26/69 - even if the show didn't go on for four hours, the performance is incredible regardless. While the audience recording is decent, it'd be nice to hear the rest of the band apart from Page :D

8. Anything from the Scandinavian tour or 1st UK tour in 1968

9. 4/17/70 - has one of the best if not THE best HMMT ever, even with the crowd issues!

10. 4/28/77 - even though Strider is correct that the 77 boards leave a lot to be desired, I'd still love to hear this show with a soundboard. Although I'm more looking forward to the matrices people could be able to make.

43 minutes ago, Crimson Avenger said:

It's odd that some venues simply don't seem to leak when it comes to soundboards. We've had nothing from Chicago or the Forum as part of the 'Revolution', despite lots of shows there. So looks like we're safe in not getting anything from the LA 77 run!

I'm thinking (or rather hoping) that the boards do exist and someone is hoarding them. Hopefully they'll get released someday if they do indeed exist. Although honestly I'd be happy with just the 22nd and 26th shows since Millard did such a phenomenal job with the others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ZepHead315 said:

I'm thinking (or rather hoping) that the boards do exist and someone is hoarding them. Hopefully they'll get released someday if they do indeed exist. Although honestly I'd be happy with just the 22nd and 26th shows since Millard did such a phenomenal job with the others.

If they exist then Jimmy has them, so that's probably that. Isn't there a bit of 23rd that escaped semi-officially a while back?

I think I'm right in saying there's never been a Forum LZ SBD tape in the public arena, other than the 73 ones which were 'liberated'. Nothing from any other year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Crimson Avenger said:

Isn't there a bit of 23rd that escaped semi-officially a while back?

You are correct. The SBD snippet is of Jimmy's noise solo, which isn't exactly the most exciting part of the show. I have a feeling the rest of the show (and the rest of the LA run, assuming there are boards for all of the shows) won't be released for a LONG time. At least we have Mike Millard's tapes for four of the shows!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now