Updated Soundboard Wish List

Bonzo_fan

12 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

The 71 U.K. shows might stand up to Japan if the recordings were decent. The Wembley Empire Pool show has one of the best Stairway solos, but man is that recording bad. 

Manchester is awesome and so is Bournemouth.    Several other too.   

These UK 1971 shows also festured Gallows Pole on occasion too. 

• 2 weeks later...

The UK winter '71 tour is pretty great, but it would be nicer to have it in decent quality. I do think some of the high points of that tour equal Japan or other more famous 1971 shows, particularly the Manchester show which is a ferocious performance but sounds like it was recorded at the bottom of the ocean.

SB wish list, then:

26/04/69 San Francisco

11/11/71 Newcastle

24/11/71 Manchester

02/12/71 Bournemouth

14/06/72 Nassau

15/06/72 Nassau

12/01/75 Brussels (for WTLB in SB quality)

22/06/77 LA

funny how so many wishlist shows are the very early ones. Why aren't there more 70, 71, 72 soundboards? 75 is very well represented as is 77 and 80. Was the "liberation" of Jimmy's soundboards limited in what the "liberators" had access to??? Or did the band not record/keep the early stuff?

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:34 PM, Cosmic_Equilibrium said:

The UK winter '71 tour is pretty great, but it would be nicer to have it in decent quality. I do think some of the high points of that tour equal Japan or other more famous 1971 shows, particularly the Manchester show which is a ferocious performance but sounds like it was recorded at the bottom of the ocean.

SB wish list, then:

26/04/69 San Francisco

11/11/71 Newcastle

24/11/71 Manchester

02/12/71 Bournemouth

14/06/72 Nassau

15/06/72 Nassau

12/01/75 Brussels (for WTLB in SB quality)

22/06/77 LA

Yessir!

I'd never ask for another Zep recording again if we got these two.  IS from 6/15 is some of the nastiest, raunchiest playing from Jimmy's entire career.  And the D&C is just bone crushing.

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2018 at 11:33 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

The 71 U.K. shows might stand up to Japan if the recordings were decent. The Wembley Empire Pool show has one of the best Stairway solos, but man is that recording bad. 

Manchester on November 24th is a monster show but the sound quality is not great. It's one of plants best performances of 1971 and was the best his voice had been since the first l.a show. The  November 11th show was another  great performance with a powerful performance by plant. I found the band to be tighter overall on the 71 u.k tour then they were on the north America tour.

On 8/15/2017 at 1:32 PM, sean_the_bootlegger said:

Im only responsible for Mobile, Chicago (from Rain Song to the end of the show), Buffalo and Fort Worth '73. They were separate from the other '73 boards and held by another person. I circulated them in the old trading circles soon upon receiving them for mass consumption.

Fort worth 73 is one of my favorite zeppelin boots. Plant sounds great by 73 standards . Page is on fire and his guitar tone is killer. Bonham sounds savage at that show.  The band had a  very raw sound at that show and played with great energy . A textbook example of zeppelin in tight but loose mode. May 73 is one of my favorite  favorite periods.  I would love for the rest of the Houston board to show up as it is a scorcher as well. Even Dallas after the first 3 songs which were rough turns into  a great performance . Since I've been loving you no quarter and dazed from Dallas are awesome versions.

On 3/4/2018 at 9:16 PM, Sue Dounim said:

Been listening to 1980 shows lately and man do I still really wish we had the first 24 minutes of Rotterdam, Vienna, and Munich in soundboard form.

I prefer Rotterdam and Munich to Zurich and frankfurt. Plants voice is so strong during the Munich show and page sounds much more fluid. He plays a great stairway solo.  Rock and roll was the best plant sang that song after the 72 u s tour. Thst scream he lets go before the solo was insane. Rotterdam has one of my favorite performances of heart breaker. It's my favorite heartbreaker post 73. Achilles from that show is great as well. I really like cologne as well.

I'm adding May 10, 1973 Tuscaloosa to my list.  I somehow didn't even realize that it had happened until earlier today, when I had a look at the timeline after realizing there are no recordings between May 5 in Tampa and May 13 in Mobile.  I read some reviews of 5/10 Tuscaloosa on the timeline, and it sounds like it was a good one!  I also went to U of A for a Crimson Tide game back in September, so I have a soft spot for Tuscaloosa now.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:17 PM, Adam Ryan watson said:

Fort worth 73 is one of my favorite zeppelin boots. Plant sounds great by 73 standards . Page is on fire and his guitar tone is killer. Bonham sounds savage at that show.  The band had a  very raw sound at that show and played with great energy . A textbook example of zeppelin in tight but loose mode. May 73 is one of my favorite  favorite periods.  I would love for the rest of the Houston board to show up as it is a scorcher as well. Even Dallas after the first 3 songs which were rough turns into  a great performance . Since I've been loving you no quarter and dazed from Dallas are awesome versions.

Yep. Agree. May 1973 is just flawless (expect for San Diego, which is just odd as hell to me!)

1 hour ago, LedElvis75 said:

Yep. Agree. May 1973 is just flawless (expect for San Diego, which is just odd as hell to me!)

The June 19th 1977 show in San Diego was also strangely disappointing, come to think of it so is the March 10th, 1975 San Diego show. All of the SD shows were right around the time of other epic performances.
Hmmmm.... maybe the local San Diego drug dealer had bad stuff.

Edited by mknopfler

Have to disagree with the previous two posts about the '73 and first '75 SD show.  I've generally found the San Fran and LA shows in '73 to be overrated, I think SD is the best of the Cali bunch (a tad on the sloppy side by '73 standards, admittedly).  I've always really liked the first SD show in '75, it definitely gets overlooked.  You can sense throughout that the band is energized to be back on the West Coast, esp. after the lackluster Texas shows.  A caveat, I enjoy the gloomy, murky vibe from the audience recording, it's possible the show will be a disappointment when the soundboard comes out, akin to Landover.

The 2nd SD show in '75 is indeed shit, except for the epic NQ.  The band really sounds like they woke up late that afternoon and realized they had a show that night, they sound completely unprepared.

Edited by JohnOsbourne

11 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Have to disagree with the previous two posts about the '73 and first '75 SD show.  I've generally found the San Fran and LA shows in '73 to be overrated, I think SD is the best of the Cali bunch (a tad on the sloppy side by '73 standards, admittedly).  I've always really liked the first SD show in '75, it definitely gets overlooked.  You can sense throughout that the band is energized to be back on the West Coast, esp. after the lackluster Texas shows.  A caveat, I enjoy the gloomy, murky vibe from the audience recording, it's possible the show will be a disappointment when the soundboard comes out, akin to Landover.

The 2nd SD show in '75 is indeed shit, except for the epic NQ.  The band really sounds like they woke up late that afternoon and realized they had a show that night, they sound completely unprepared.

The Bonzo's Bday Party show, to me, is a bit over-rated.  Never fell in love with that show.  The 2nd LA show, however is KILLER!  It's an absolute gem and maybe the best of the entire US 73 run.  I WANT THAT SBD!The SD show from the 28th, is just too sloppy for me.  Time to re-listen to it to see if I'm remembering this right...  Maybe it's all the guitar drop outs... sheesh.  Didn't realize there were so many.  That would give an impression of "sloppy" playing.  Maybe not the case tho.

Scorching thru RnR and CD so far.

Edited by LedElvis75
clarification

• 2 months later...
On 3/21/2018 at 11:18 AM, LedElvis75 said:

Yessir!

I'd never ask for another Zep recording again if we got these two.  IS from 6/15 is some of the nastiest, raunchiest playing from Jimmy's entire career.  And the D&C is just bone crushing.

I think the 72 Nassau shows are better than the 72 California shows. The hwww shows are killer though . But I like  the Nassau and both Seattle shows better .

On 5/7/2018 at 10:31 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

That first San Diego in 75 was a great show.  They really raised the bar on the west coast . The 2nd San Diego show  is the oddball of the bunch   it's just not on the level of the other west coast shows    I also find the first long beach show to be much better than It gets credit for .  Page and plant both sound excellent for the first sd show.

On 5/7/2018 at 10:31 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

I have never been completely taken with San Diego 73  bonzos birthday  or kezar .  Kezar is a killer show in the second half  but the first half while great  is no more special than any other 73 shows .  Kezar and bonzos birthday  suffer slightly  from pages injured  hand.  Seems  pretty reserved and cautious  especially for the may 31st show his playing does  get more expressive  at kezar . I do however find the juse 3rd l.a show to be outstanding . Page plays so much better . He is not as sloppy and really seems to be going for it in his solos and plant  sounds very strong  as well.    Not a big fan  of fort worth 75 either  although the sound is nice. March 4 in Dallas starts out   very strong but they really seem to hit the wall early and the 2nd half is pretty lackluster with page very sloppy.   I really like the 2nd 75 Dallas show alot . It's no west coast  for sure  but it's a  very noticeable improvement over the previous 2 shows . It starts out a little sluggish on the first couple of songs but it really turns into a very solid show . It starts to pick up during over the hills and builds . Dazed and no quarter are  great 75 versions .  Imtod  and Kashmir are nice as well  and plant seems to be in much better voice than the previous 2 nights  though   the west coast shows are far better as well as the mid February new York area shows.  The 2 Nassau shows are by far my favorites from the first leg.

9 hours ago, Adam Ryan watson said:

I have never been completely taken with San Diego 73  bonzos birthday  or kezar .  Kezar is a killer show in the second half  but the first half while great  is no more special than any other 73 shows .  Kezar and bonzos birthday  suffer slightly  from pages injured  hand.  Seems  pretty reserved and cautious  especially for the may 31st show his playing does  get more expressive  at kezar . I do however find the juse 3rd l.a show to be outstanding . Page plays so much better . He is not as sloppy and really seems to be going for it in his solos and plant  sounds very strong  as well.    Not a big fan  of fort worth 75 either  although the sound is nice. March 4 in Dallas starts out   very strong but they really seem to hit the wall early and the 2nd half is pretty lackluster with page very sloppy.   I really like the 2nd 75 Dallas show alot . It's no west coast  for sure  but it's a  very noticeable improvement over the previous 2 shows . It starts out a little sluggish on the first couple of songs but it really turns into a very solid show . It starts to pick up during over the hills and builds . Dazed and no quarter are  great 75 versions .  Imtod  and Kashmir are nice as well  and plant seems to be in much better voice than the previous 2 nights  though   the west coast shows are far better as well as the mid February new York area shows.  The 2 Nassau shows are by far my favorites from the first leg.

Actually I really like the '75 Fort Worth show, it's a hidden gem.  Sloppy, sure, but inventive and spontaneous which is lacking in a lot of '75 shows.  It's much better than either Dallas show, I've never been able to get into the 2nd show, but the 1st show does start out strong before fading fast.  Agreed about the Nassau shows, the Feb 13th is an all-time great, even better than the more renowned Feb 14th show (which is also great).

13 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Actually I really like the '75 Fort Worth show, it's a hidden gem.  Sloppy, sure, but inventive and spontaneous which is lacking in a lot of '75 shows.  It's much better than either Dallas show, I've never been able to get into the 2nd show, but the 1st show does start out strong before fading fast.  Agreed about the Nassau shows, the Feb 13th is an all-time great, even better than the more renowned Feb 14th show (which is also great).

Bonzo's SO INCREDIBLY GOOD it masks a lot of the other issues with the show.  One of his all time great shows.  He literally NAILS EVERYTHING.  He accuracy, speed and energy were just amazing.

On 7/23/2018 at 9:36 AM, LedElvis75 said:

Bonzo's SO INCREDIBLY GOOD it masks a lot of the other issues with the show.  One of his all time great shows.  He literally NAILS EVERYTHING.  He accuracy, speed and energy were just amazing.

Agree 100%!  His explosion after the usual big fill towards the end of "The Song Remains The Same" just gets me every time 😵

I know it's a pipe dream to think that soundboard recordings exist in this case, but I would love to hear something from the Second American tour in May 1969 when the band was absolutely performing at its improvisational peak and taking American by storm.

Edited by mysticman560

• 5 months later...

1969- 4/26 San Fran. A matching soundboard for the following night would be an excellent package for 1969.
1970- 9/19 NY. Legendary show.
1971- 5/3 Copenhagen. Four Sticks and Gallows Pole. Plant's voice is lethal here.
1972- 6/19 Seattle. A sister version of HTWWW, with Louie Louie.
1973- 7/21 Providence, RI. Page on another level. Plant doesn't sound half bad for 73.
1975- 5/18 Earls Court. The best Page out of the set.
1977- 4/28 Cleveland. A top 3 1977 show, with a very coherent Page.

• 2 years later...

Hello! Newby and long-time lurker here, but fan of Zep since 1995-ish, when I received an electric guitar an No Quarter: Unledded! I managed to get my hands on a copy of Destroyer in the early 2000’s, and have been slowly and not-quite-so steadily building my bootleg collection since then. 

I avoided 1975 for a while due to Plant’s flu, but I’ve acquired (I think) every soundboard and reasonably decent audience source, and have come to appreciate the tour for what it was.

Anyway, my soundboard wishlist for the ‘75 tour is

The rest of the 1-18 Minneapolis show

Any of the Chicago shows (1-20/21/22-75) Mostly for The Wanton Song, How Many More Times, and When The Levee Breaks

Greensboro (1-29-1975) Yes, this is supposed to be one of, if not THE worst, but the audience recording I’m listening to right now still sounds pretty good to me!

Philadelphia (2-08-1975) I’ve listened to one of the audience recordings, Jimmy is on fire on this one. Also, it’s the one right before Landover 2-10-1975, so I’m hoping somebody’s just hoarding the tape at this point.

For non 1975 shows, I’d love to hear a Bath 1970 recording that doesn’t sound like mud, the Wembly 11-20-1971 Electric Magic show, and the Pittsburg Three Rivers Stadium show, 7-24-1973.  All of these concerts were mentioned in the Dave Lewis book Led Zeppelin: A Celebration (1990) which was my go-to for many years, but I was somewhat underwhelmed by the recording quality of some of these shows which he spoke quite highly of. Perhaps he had access to some tapes that the rest of us haven’t, or the “bootleg ears” required to fully appreciate them.

Oh, and a 9 CD set of all the MSG 1973 shows that spawned The Song Remains The Same soundtrack wouldn’t go amiss. Still really annoyed at that horrid edit of Whole Lotta Love on the remaster. 

I’ll also take virtually any 1977 show that isn’t already out. Heck, even Tempe - I get a kick out of the Zurich 1980 show, where they totally lose track of each other during Kashmir - well, Jimmy gets nuked during Achilles’ and only winds up a half-measure behind Jonesy and Bonzo? Ah, why the heck not?! XD 

edit: also, 3-5-1971, the first appearance of Black Dog, Rock And Roll, and Stairway to Heaven, I find the existing recording too noisy for my liking, but I plan on giving it another listen soon. 

Edited by Abenoit81
Misspelled “lose”