How would those few Zeppelin reunions turn out if......

How would those few Led Zeppelin  reunions turn out if another member had been the one
to pass away?

They are all in a class by themselves when you're talking value in regards to their roles in
Led Zeppelin.   Nobody means more than the other.

After John Bonham passed away the band parted ways and only reunited a handful of times.  If
that had been another member,   would they have done any of those reunion shows?  I know
they would have broken up no matter who,  but let's say Jimmy Page was gone in 1980.
Would there be another guitarist playing his role at Live Aid,  Atlantic 40th or the O2?  I
can not for the life of me insert any musician into his role.  Who could be the singer, the
bassist/keyboardist or the guitarist in that situation.  *crickets chirping*  I got nothing people.

Jason sat in for John,  but that's an extreme rare blessing. He is not just a drummer who was
a fan of John, influenced as a musician and studied John Bonham's style. Yes he did and is
that, but there's that little thing  called father/son that no other drummer has on their side.  The
Jason/John thing is diffrent ball of wax compared to who plays who at a reunion with the other 3.

It seems your asking if we assume there would have been one or more reunions who would we choose to replace a missing member or members. My preference would be established musicians who are unique in their own right (but not superstars) and yet versatile enough to serve as a replacement.

Billy Squire / Huey Lewis / Bill Wyman & Chris Stainton / Jason Bonham

Other bands have been able to carry on after the loss of a member. But really there was and still would not be anybody anywhere near good enough to be a sub for Jimmy, Robert or JPJ. As much as i wish they would have continued, They could not have done.

3 hours ago, Mook said:

Here's my list of potential substitutes for the three surviving members:-

Robert Plant - Snoop Dog

John Paul Jones - JR out of Dallas

Jimmy Page - Steven Seagal

Haha omg love this! :hysterical:

42 minutes ago, craigled said:

Other bands have been able to carry on after the loss of a member. But really there was and still would not be anybody anywhere near good enough to be a sub for Jimmy, Robert or JPJ. As much as i wish they would have continued, They could not have done.

Yeah that's where I was at in regards to who would replace who. I think if  it had been Robert,
Jimmy or Jonesy it be more like The Beatles.  Never again and no reunions. I know it's apples to
oranges but I use The Beatles  as my example, because Lennon died and they never tried to
find a replacement for him in order to do a reunion show. There was never a Beatle reformation
with Paul, George, Ringo and let's say Julian.

*********************************************************************************

Haha
:lol: I have to laugh at the replies LMAO! I don't think people understood my question. I was
basically asking If any other member had died in Led Zeppelin would they have done the
reunion shows?
  My answer is no.   I guess some of you believe otherwise. 
:unsure:

All 4 of them were equally irreplaceable. So if Jimmy or Jones passed, they could've gotten say Brian May or someone to fill in or Ray Manzarek, but it would not have been the same. Led Zeppelin was those 4 guys. Jason Bonham is the only acceptable substitute and let's be honest - that's because he was John's son.

The only exception I make is if Robert, Jimmy, and John Paul had found an AMAZING drummer on par with Bonzo in the 90s. I think a 90s Zep reunion record with a different drummer *could* have worked. But then it'd still be a different band.

4 hours ago, KellyGirl said:

Haha omg love this! :hysterical:

Yeah that's where I was at in regards to who would replace who. I think if  it had been Robert,
Jimmy or Jonesy it be more like The Beatles.  Never again and no reunions. I know it's apples to
oranges but I use The Beatles  as my example, because Lennon died and they never tried to
find a replacement for him in order to do a reunion show. There was never a Beatle reformation
with Paul, George, Ringo and let's say Julian.

*********************************************************************************

Haha
:lol: I have to laugh at the replies LMAO! I don't think people understood my question. I was
basically asking If any other member had died in Led Zeppelin would they have done the
reunion shows?
  My answer is no.   I guess some of you believe otherwise. 
:unsure:

Well The Beatles did reunite ... in the studio with the late John Lennon ... and the results were really cool.  Free As A Bird turned out great.   Shame there weren't some isolated Bonham drum tracks out there that could have been finished up by PP and J. 

Regardless of who might of passed away - the band was done.  Like Robert said recently....it really was over anyway.

as far a a reunion and who could of filled in....I could see Joe Perry playing for Jimmy in a one off performance, someone said Brian May which is unlikely.

Oh yeah that's right The Chase. I forgot about The Beatles  doing that song.   

Even if there are [which nobody knows for sure] some leftover goodies courtesy of John
Bonham; Nothing will/would ever come of it.  Jimmy doesn't play guitar any longer and even
if he did,   Plant would be deader than dead against it.  Now Jones is the easy going middle
man.  I could see him being curious and interested about the idea if he was approached,   but
he would know well enough not to get that keen on it because somebody would stomp on that
idea fast.  

^^^^ Haha oh I don't mind at all.  I'm guilty of doing that quite a bit on here.   :D

And how would things have worked out if Keith Moon had a Jason Bonham as his son.  I
think  The Who  would have gladly utilized that situation to continue on.  I know when
Moon died it was '78 so they probably would have needed to wait on that though..

Anybody know if Bonzo had a studio in his home?  I know the others do,   but I have never
read anything about John Bonham working at home - other than seeing him with a drum kit.  
My reason for asking is because if he did would he have have had recorded something that
could be used towards something  Zep related years later?  I'm going to guess no since Jason
would have already brought it to the other 3's  attention.  

Err did I just answer my own question???

No disrespect to Jason but he isn't even in the same universe as his father as a drummer. That's not to say Jason isn't good, because he is. It's just his father was the best rock drummer that has ever graced the skins. Phenomenal, precise, crisp, hard, funky, swinging. THRUTCH. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2017 at 3:59 PM, RoundingRover said:

All 4 of them were equally irreplaceable. So if Jimmy or Jones passed, they could've gotten say Brian May or someone to fill in or Ray Manzarek, but it would not have been the same. Led Zeppelin was those 4 guys. Jason Bonham is the only acceptable substitute and let's be honest - that's because he was John's son.

The only exception I make is if Robert, Jimmy, and John Paul had found an AMAZING drummer on par with Bonzo in the 90s. I think a 90s Zep reunion record with a different drummer *could* have worked. But then it'd still be a different band.

You mean, like Michael Lee?  That should have happened. Deep down, we all know it on some level.

Cozy Powell would have been my choice.

If you listen to the tracks he played on Pictures at Eleven he captures Bonham's power and panoramic sound, but he puts his own slant on it.

I never took to Lee, he had power but I don't think he had the swing or feel.

Just now, Boleskinner said:

Cozy Powell would have been my choice.

If you listen to the tracks he played on Pictures at Eleven he captures Bonham's power and panoramic sound, but he puts his own slant on it.

I never took to Lee, he had power but I don't think he had the swing or feel.

I am of course, talking about a 90s reunion before he died in 1998.

Archived