Why was JPJ disinvited from Page/Plant?

4 hours ago, in_the_evening said:

I was totally unaware that Plant and Johnstone had a falling out...any media on it?

None that I'm aware of, aside from the quote posted earlier. Unsure if there ever was a falling out or if their collaboration had simply run its course. Then again, perhaps a personality clash developed as time went on. I very distinctly recall an MTV Rock Block telecast from May 1993 with Robert and the band filmed at the Kings Head in Fulham. Phil seems somewhat detached throughout, and then, while leaning back against the stage, his heels slip and he momentarily loses his balance. It's at around 2:20 of the clip below. If Robert had noticed and wanted to laugh out loud about it, he didn't.

20 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

Even in 85'( even now, actually) guitar synths were toys for guitarists to play

around with at home, and a good keyboard/synth could almost always sound better than a guitar synth, and do 

emulations of other instruments better.

Hmmmm.... not sure I agree with any of that. Jimmy certainly didn't think so. 

On 3/14/2017 at 6:52 AM, SteveAJones said:

The Wembley Stadium jam was June 7, 2008. In Nov/Dec 2008, JPJ was in the states playing various gigs, after which he attended Grohl's 40th birthday party at Medieval Times in Los Angeles in January 2009. Dave purposefully sat JPJ beside Josh Homme. JPJ, Grohl and Homme got together a couple days after the birthday party at Homme's home studio, Baby Duck Studios. Their first jam lasted about thirty minutes. They jammed a second time the following day, and agreed they should form a band. JPJ then returned to England. JPJ returned to Baby Duck Studios in February 2009, and the three began working two weeks on and two weeks off for about eight weeks from noon to 3 am. The rest is history. 

To make the most overrated collection of songs ever.  Awful LP. 

8 hours ago, Box of Jimmy's said:

To make the most overrated collection of songs ever.  Awful LP. 

Agreed. Anything Grohl has done since a drummer boy behind Kurt has been garbage IMO. The "Pillow Biters" are just total pop crap. 

Robbie Blunt said that Robert sent him a guitar synth and basically told him to get on with it. Blunt apparently struggled with it and didn't get very far - but when he complained to Robert, he was told 'Well, Jimmy gets on fine with his'! benji LeFevre apparently phoned Jimmy's guitar tech for advice and was told that Jimmy had already given up on guitar synths and had 'thrown his out the f*cking window'! To cap it off, Robert then made Blunt pay for the guitar synth himself - Jimmy's clearly not the only Led Wallet...  

As for Grohl, he came up with a great drum part for Killing Joke's 'The Death And Resurrection Show' but according to Jaz Coleman, he recorded each element of the kit separately and composited it together! Each to their own, I guess...   

Edited by Brigante

• 3 years later...

We all know why Page didn’t attend Karac’s funeral ~ But why didn’t Jones? This is why I’m here presently ~ to find the answer to that. Guess he was just being a thotless dickweed. He’s my fav of the lot tho~ my Fav Rocker of All Time actually. He was one reason the Threee THREEE HOUR ZEP SHOWS I saw were so GR8.

And as good as the 2 PnP shows I saw were, they were only 2 hours!!

Edited by Swashbuckler

5 hours ago, Swashbuckler said:

I love the idea of bringin Coverdale in! He’s GR8 & is the only other singer who would work in Zep! If it didn’t lure Plant back, then fine! 

Also LOVE ZOOOMA esp. Snake Eyes!! Jones @ his BEST

CHEERS

No no no no...a thousand times no.

7 hours ago, Swashbuckler said:

We all know why Page didn’t attend Karac’s funeral ~ But why didn’t Jones? This is why I’m here presently ~ to find the answer to that. Guess he was just being a thotless dickweed. 

I agree you would be guessing. It's been discussed here many times. I've pointed out he was travelling in the US with his family at the time of Karac's tragic death. Further, bear in mind he had three small children of his own and that everyone grieves in their own way. Should we start ripping the guys to shreds for not returning to the UK with JPJ in 1970 to attend his father's funeral? In closing, I feel a thoughtless dick weed is someone who would  take the opportunity 40+ years after the fact to offer nothing but callous conjecture on someone else's motives for not doing something. 

47 minutes ago, Strider said:

After reading this entire thread it is clear there are two types of people in this world. Those who laughed at the "parking the car" remark and those who did not.

Seems to me JPJ didn't find it funny and may explain in part his snide retort at their Hall of Fame induction a few months later. THAT was awkward! 

2 hours ago, Strider said:

No no no no...a thousand times no.

There's a Blabbermouth article on David Coverdale posted earlier today stating that he might retire in 2021.  Not that there was a snowball's chance in hell that would have happened anyway. . 

8 hours ago, Swashbuckler said:

We all know why Page didn’t attend Karac’s funeral ~ 

I don't know why... 

1 hour ago, the chase said:

There's a Blabbermouth article on David Coverdale posted earlier today stating that he might retire in 2021.  Not that there was a snowball's chance in hell that would have happened anyway. 

Love the guy but his voice is gone. He's already sold his rock star home in Incline Village overlooking Lake Tahoe and moved into a humbler abode in Reno with his wife. Time to settle down for good. 

Edited by SteveAJones

• 7 months later...

After following Led Zeppelin most of my 50 years, the major conclusion that I have reached about Plant is that he is insecure and says mean things because of it. He has been talking in sarcastic/humourous/cheeky code for so long that he is almost impossible to take seriously. It's really sad to me because he is so brilliant and easily my favorite singer. I think Robert has a heart somewhere underneath that hurt and we catch glimpses of it once in a while. Plant was dismissive toward Jones many, many times over the years and we all know that Robert hides behind "taking the piss". Why a guy with his talent behaves that way? Robert can rearrange the tunes and act any way he wants but Led Zeppelin defines him as an artist. I wish to God he would embrace that. They were the best band to ever set foot on a stage and that's why we are talking about this subject.

I think the thread is a false premise because Jones was never meant to be invited, btw. 

On 4/18/2020 at 7:41 PM, SteveAJones said:

Love the guy but his voice is gone. He's already sold his rock star home in Incline Village overlooking Lake Tahoe and moved into a humbler abode in Reno with his wife. Time to settle down for good. 

Big Snake fan, but DAMNNNN,,,someone get that man a throat lozenge!  

On 4/18/2020 at 9:07 AM, Swashbuckler said:

We all know why Page didn’t attend Karac’s funeral ~ But why didn’t Jones? This is why I’m here presently ~ to find the answer to that. Guess he was just being a thotless dickweed. He’s my fav of the lot tho~ my Fav Rocker of All Time actually. He was one reason the Threee THREEE HOUR ZEP SHOWS I saw were so GR8.

And as good as the 2 PnP shows I saw were, they were only 2 hours!!

Jones and family were camping in northern California when Karac passed. Neither JPJ or Jimmy even knew of Karac's passing until they arrived in New Orleans and by then Plant, Bonzo, & Cole had flown back to the UK. This was 1977, not 2007, there were no cell phones, there were not computers, twitter, etc. Unless you were there at the time, you did not find things out until someone told you. I am sure JPJ & Jimmy could have paid a small fortune to charter a jet to get them back to the UK in time for the funeral but possibly not as Karac was laid to rest very quickly.

I do feel Robert can let his wit override his compassion at times but it could be a defense mechanism too. I do not recall him being so glib and cheeky in interviews pre-1980's. Maybe Bonzo's death was the last straw for him?

4 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Plant, Bonzo, & Cole had flown back to the UK. 

Richard said Robert was accompanied by Bonzo and Robert's personal assistant, Dennis Sheehan. Richard said he did attend the funeral (August 2, 1977). Anyway, I think it's in poor taste for people to speculate about why Jimmy & JPJ did not attend and that's all I have to say about this.

• 3 months later...

I recall reading Richard Cole's book. There the bit he's put in about Plant standing on the balcony of a hotel (might have been the Riot House) with is arms spread, shouting "I am a golden god!!!". Cole didn't seem that impressed IIRC. I got the feeling that Cole wasn't too fond of Plant, there's times in the book where he doesn't altogether hide is feelings about Plant.

I think that Plant's refusal to do anything with Zeppelin after 2007 is because it's always been essentially Jimmy's band. People paid to see Zeppelin but, in my opinion, wanted to see Page doing his thing. Perhaps Robert didn't want to play second fiddle again. Now this is from memory only, untouched by Google. I recall reading that in 1998, P&P were due to continue their tour through Asia and (perhaps) Australasia. Before that section of the tour could commence, Plant took his ball and went home. Am I right in recalling that? I get the impression that he feels he's outgrown Jimmy. Can't really blame him for that because Jimmy is pretty much stuck in the 70's and Robert's seems to have become more avant gard, musically, over the years.  I don't blame Robert at all for walking away from and further Zeppelin involvement but the dynamic between the three of them continues to be of interest - much as been seen but little articulated. Just adds to their overall mystique.

• 1 year later...
On 3/11/2017 at 4:49 AM, Strider said:

I've talked about this several times in the live section of the forum. It definitely sounded better in the hall than what you hear on the board tapes. It even sounds better on the audience tapes than the soundboard.

Have you seen the Desert Rock TV special from '95? It has the best versions of select songs from that tour and is the only special with actual footage from the UK & US tour. Unlike the MTV Unledded vid...

• 8 months later...
On 8/9/2022 at 2:43 PM, Desrt Rock TV said:

Unfortunately the entire special is not on youtube but I know there are bootleg copies out there....

Ace. I haven’t seen this before. I was at both the NEC shows. The second night, which this is from was much better than the first