Wearing & Tearing, Darlene, and Ozone Baby

I love these tracks, instrumentally they are monsters...but I could do without Plants vocals. All that woohoowoohoo, Darlene oooh, oooh.  Medication, medication! It's just gawd awful to my ears.   Bonzo is devastating on all of these. Was the vocal track for Wearing and Tearing recorded much later than the Stargroves session of the instrumental tracks? It sure sounds like later Plant to me, circa 1980. 

Yeah, agreed very strong instrumentation, but Plant does go into some IMO odd vocal mannerisms a bit. Still not sold

on why the tracks didn't make an EP before Knebworth, some weak explanations. I think ultimately  the songs are very good but there are sections where are some weaker spots.

Yeah, agreed very strong instrumentation, but Plant does go into some IMO odd vocal mannerisms a bit. Still not sold

on why the tracks didn't make an EP before Knebworth, some weak explanations. I think ultimately  the songs are very good but there are sections where are some weaker spots.

2 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Was the vocal track for Wearing and Tearing recorded much later than the Stargroves session of the instrumental tracks? It sure sounds like later Plant to me, circa 1980. 

You're thinking of Walter's Walk. Wearing and Tearing was an ITTOD outtake. And yes the Vocal for WW was supposedly recorded at Sol studios in the early 80's for inclusion on the Coda Lp.

I think all three are superb and show that Zep had plenty of life in 1978.  I wish all 3 had been played at Knebworth and in the 1980 tour.  Wearing and Tearing is a monster and has great lyrics in what I think is a strong anti-drug message.

Darlene swings like mad in the second half and the band is on fire.  Page plays a fabulous solo to close out the proceedings.

Ozone Baby is just a fun romp.

I was amazed by all three when Coda was released and have really enjoyed them ever since.

5 hours ago, babysquid said:

You're thinking of Walter's Walk. Wearing and Tearing was an ITTOD outtake. And yes the Vocal for WW was supposedly recorded at Sol studios in the early 80's for inclusion on the Coda Lp.

Yes! Got my W Coda tunes mixed up. Thanks. 

34 minutes ago, Mook said:

I really like Darlene & Ozone baby, I've always thought Wearing & Tearing was very, very poor by their standards, easily the worst song they ever released in my opinion.

Worse than Candy Store Rock?

I have said before, Yes, Coda is my least liked Zep album. But i still like it a lot. I have been listening it for so long, Its part of my soundtrack in life. Not just saying it to look like i am Zeps biggest fan. As most others seem to dislike it. There are plenty of people on this forum who know miles more about the band than i do. I honestly love Coda.

Wearing & Tearing is a great track, monstrous statement of intent. I do think it's overlong though; it could happily lose a minute or two with no loss of impact.

Darlene is, musically, one of the finest things they ever recorded. It speeds up and gets more complex as it goes, and by the end we get a rare studio approximation of their live jam approach. Lyrically... I've always assumed that what's on there is just a placeholder, for when they came up with something else. Plant's just running through the cliche book.

Ozone Baby... a few good ideas, but yeah, a bit weak that one.

I reckon all three would have appeared in some - probably quite different - form if the 1981 album had ever happened.

2 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

It's fun and Bonzo's drumming is fantastic, but at the end of the day, it's a Big Mac made out of filet mignon.

Lol, each to their own. Musically I'd disagree, JP and JPJ are both doing some great things on that one. The riff changes every verse, and not in an obvious way. By the end they are flying, like they are on stage in the good old days. It's lyrically where we are in Big Mac (or, perhaps more accurately, American Pie) territory.

Poor Tom. I love that one too, I don't care if it's a drum loop!

I thought Poor Tom came directly from the Led Zeppelin III sessions though, the drums & singing certainly sound like they're from 1970.

Loops were used as early as the mid-60s (by The Beatles & Frank Zappa) so it is possible that it's a loop but I'd always assumed it was played right through by Bonham, why would you use a drum loop when you had someone who sounded like him on drums?

Personally I don't think it's a tape loop but am happy to be corrected.

16 minutes ago, Mook said:

I thought Poor Tom came directly from the Led Zeppelin III sessions though, the drums & singing certainly sound like they're from 1970.

Loops were used as early as the mid-60s (by The Beatles & Frank Zappa) so it is possible that it's a loop but I'd always assumed it was played right through by Bonham, why would you use a drum loop when you had someone who sounded like him on drums?

Personally I don't think it's a tape loop but am happy to be corrected.

I recall reading an argument about it, probably at RO, not here I think. The thinking (if I remember rightly) went that it sounds a little too good to be true, and Jimmy must have taken some of JB's drumming and looped it to make a whole song's worth.

True or not, I don't know, I'm not arguing for it one way or the other, was just a throwaway comment :) There's some great stuff on Coda.

Archived