Wearing & Tearing, Darlene, and Ozone Baby

Classics? No.

Only "Wearing & Tearing" holds up as a complete statement worthy of inclusion on a Zeppelin album. Darlene and Ozone are interesting musical fragments in search of a song.

"Poor Tom" is not a drum loop to these ears.

People love to hate on "Darlene" but I have no clue what it's missing.

It's got an effective riff.

It's got a strut that won't quit.

It's got a killer tempo change that drives it home.

It's got Jimmy nailin' it. The mythology grows that he wasn't "present" and couldn't play at these sessions but he serves this song beautifully. Great solo.

It's got  the "it" factors, honest energy and true spirit, what really separates them from every wannabe in their shadow.

The interplay between the band as a whole is awesome.  A united front laying down a tribute to the music that inspired them.

I suspect most fans can't accept a Zep rocker driven by piano coupled with Jimmy's thin Fender tone. Their loss.

All 3 of these songs are gems. Led  Zeppelin having fun playing Rock n Roll.

Fussy listeners need not apply.

4 minutes ago, Badgeholder Still said:

It's got Jimmy nailin' it. The mythology grows that he wasn't "present" and couldn't play at these sessions but he serves this song beautifully. Great solo.

It's got  the "it" factors, honest energy and true spirit, what really separates them from every wannabe in their shadow.

The interplay between the band as a whole is awesome.  A united front laying down a tribute to the music that inspired them.

I suspect most fans can't accept a Zep rocker driven by piano coupled with Jimmy's thin Fender tone. Their loss.

At the end of the day, Darlene is nothing more than a well-played pastiche.

It's no Zep classic, like Kashmir or STH, where the band are breaking new musical ground and being super creative.

36 minutes ago, Badgeholder Still said:

I too agree badge, Darlene is a great song. The only part I do not like is the very beginning of Robert's vocals where he just sings "Darlene...wooOOOwooooOO...Darlene." Other than that I love the shit outta this tune. 

Also, Toor Tom is one of my all time favorite Zep tunes, period. Three reasons; one, Jimmy's picking on this song is unique, he never did this type of style nor got this sound before or after. Two, Robert's lyrics. His little story sounds basic at first but is deeper and much more involved. Three, Jones and Bonham are just tight, moving in a New Orleans type shuffle but with Jones in minor key, slithering around the drum beat. A very contemplative yet groovy tune yet also dark. The NO shuffle pattern Bonzo does is an upbeat grove however Jones moody, changing bassline lends shadow and foreboding. The song is complex yet in a subtle way. One could argue that this is a template for a perfectly written and executed song.

28 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

At the end of the day, Darlene is nothing more than a well-played pastiche.

It's no Zep classic, like Kashmir or STH, where the band are breaking new musical ground and being super creative.

Right. Nobody's gonna compare it to Kashmir or STH. Not all songs have to break new ground and not all Zep tunes do. But it's effective as an example of a great band having fun and playing well together. As far as i'm concerned as effective as "Communication Breakdown ", "Custard Pie"... any of their straight rockers.

And I think it's pretty clear that Darlene was born in the RnR jams in the 1977 "No Quarters". Looking at it from that perspective, the '77 jams as the ideas being fleshed out and then molded down to the this end result, Darlene even sports a certain polish.

These songs carry a stigma as "leftovers", but i never considered "Darlene" unfocused or unfinished or inferior. Maybe a misunderstood black sheep...

1 hour ago, Badgeholder Still said:

Right. Nobody's gonna compare it to Kashmir or STH. Not all songs have to break new ground and not all Zep tunes do. But it's effective as an example of a great band having fun and playing well together. As far as i'm concerned as effective as "Communication Breakdown ", "Custard Pie"... any of their straight rockers.

The OP did:

"What's the general consensus here on these three tracks?
I feel like they're honestly truly classic Zep tracks
."

That's what I was responding to.

26 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

The OP did:

."

The OP didn't reference any songs specifically and classic doesn't have to mean groundbreaking. Is "Rock and Roll" a classic track? I'd say so. It didn't really break any new creative ground and like "Darlene" borrows heavily from another era while staying uniquely Led Zeppelin. No right or wrong answers in this thread. What's classic, what's groundbreaking - it's all subjective.

3 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

Just because one doesn't think a song is a classic does not mean they don't like or enjoy said song.

I like the idea and intent of "Darlene" and it definitely had the makings for a fine song if they had had time to work on it for real, instead of as a contract obligation to fill "Coda". If Plant had time to work a little more on the lyrics, and if they had meshed the two musical halves together a little more seamlessly, it would have been a winner for sure.

Even as it is, it's one of the better tracks on "Coda".

But it's no SIBLY, Fool in the Rain, or Dancing Days.

2 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

The OP did:

."

48 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

Ye he did. title of the thread: WEARING & TEARING, DARLENE, AND OZONE BABY

Don't worry. Most of us understood you perfectly.

I have said for years that one of the worst decisions LZ ever made was not putting those tracks on a 3-song EP. Jimmy wanted to do it. I don't know why it didn't pan out. There was too much of a time gap between Presence and ITTOD. The EP would've keep LZ in the spotlight a bit more until the Knebworth shows. Plant loved "Wearing and Tearing" and wanted to put it out as a single as a challenge to the punks. I tend to like "Wearing and Tearing" and "Ozone Baby" quite a bit more than "Darlene," but all three were release-quality tracks.

On 10/03/2017 at 3:54 AM, Badgeholder Still said:

Spot on! Darlene is not only great, it's significant, because it's pretty much the only later example of them doing in the studio what they could do onstage. It's a phenomenal example of the band playing together. There's no two disparate halves... Each verse builds on the one before it, and by the end they are swinging like few other bands are capable of.

Those three Zep tracks aren't my Zep favorites, although at Knebworth 90' Wearing and Tearing was pretty powerful.

My question is the jam-out in Darlene; is that a true jam in the studio, or was some of it pieced together ? Page even

at that stage was capable of playing a great solo, but as a guitarist myself some licks sound possibly overdubbed or

cut in. The solo in Hot Dog is kind of similar, great solo but it does sound like certain phrases were cut in. If Darlene

all the way thru is simply a excellent song with a quite worthwhile jam outro , is there any proof of this. Still a excellent

song, but I have my suspicions about the piece being a bonafide studio live jam, with no funny business. Nothing

wrong with studio trickery, but then it's not what most think as a fully live jam.

On 3/8/2017 at 6:54 AM, JTM said:

Clearly second rate outtakes. 

Yep. Darlene was piano slop, Ozone Baby was a bad idea and sounds like something that should have been given to Aerosmith -- I can hear Aerosmith doing both songs really well, fits their doo-woppy big band thing.  ....  Wearing and Tearing was ... hmm, I kinda dig that track, though it was more or less a simple Godzilla punk slab noise expression of Jimmy and Bonzo's frustrations with punk rock twerps Billy Idol and the Sid Sleaze, and maybe dumb jones-plant ideas like Darlene and Ozone Baby.   Godzilla punk slab noise wins!!

Archived