Question about Page/Plant No Quarter CD

I have always owned the original version of the CD, but I recently bought the 2004 reissue. From Wikipedia:

For the tenth anniversary, the album was re-released with a different cover and altered track listing. "Thank You" was cut, "City Don't Cry" and "Wonderful One" appeared in substantially edited versions, and "The Rain Song" and "Wah Wah" were added. In addition, "Yallah" was retitled, and several other tracks had minor alterations to their running times. The new running order was as follows:

Does anyone know why all these massive changes were made? I would assume that Jimmy and Plant were involved in the decision making. It seems odd that these changes were made because Plant seems to look back on the Unledded project quite fondly. If they wanted a reissue, why not add a bonus disc with additional recordings to keep the authenticity of the original CD? I don't like it when artists go back in time and remix and re-sequence a classic album and then delete the old one so that fans can't have the original thing anymore. Kind of like what The Who did in the mid-1990's when they remixed all of their albums. Some of The Who tunes sounded drastically different to the original recordings.

I believe a DVD with the extra tracks was also released around the same time. (Red Cover) Back when the MTV show was aired, I was able to purchase a Laser Disc of the show and The Rain Song was one of the tracks included in it. (not aired on MTV)  At that time you could only get that song from a B side to the single cd release.

And what a beautiful version of "The Rain Song" it was as well. I think Jimmy was able to play that track with the original tuning that was on HOTH instead of the altered tuning he used to use on the double neck that required less string retuning.

But I am just wondering why they did these massive changes. Does anybody recall if anything was said in the presser when the 2nd version of the CD came out??

I'll dig through past issues of the magazines I have from around that time frame to see if I can find an explanation.  I know "Yallah" was retitled to "The Truth Explodes" when the initial VHS tape was released in 1995.  There is a notation in the guitar tab transcription book for No Quarter that was released in 1996 that states that the then updated title of "The Truth Explodes" was "released in some territories using a different title"  So the change was made long before the tenth anniversary reissue.

Robert

While searching regarding the topic I found a post made by swandown in the thread titled "Jimmy Page On This Day (Archive)" on August 17, 2011 page 16 that reads "I read way back in 1995 that it was changed because Y'allah translated to "Oh God" in certain dialects".

Robert

2 hours ago, ThreeSticks said:

Got that one down. But why all the re-editing of songs, and the swapping of some songs for other ones......

Off the top of my head, if they added material they were still confined by the timing constraints of the physical formats (CD, DVD, etc).

Archived