World Baseball Classic

LedZeppfan1977

Who though the Netherlands would be a wrecking machine in this?  Japan and the Dominican Republic I saw coming.  The Italian team has done themselves proud  The USA plays tonight.  I expect them to win.  But winning this tournament?  Its going to be tough.  I do not understand how Jonathan Schoop of my own Orioles and Bogaarts of the Red Sox can be Dutch boys playing for the Netherlands?  Does anyone get that?  How a couple of party boys can be Dutch boys?

10 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I do not understand how Jonathan Schoop of my own Orioles and Bogaarts of the Red Sox can be Dutch boys playing for the Netherlands?  Does anyone get that?  How a couple of party boys can be Dutch boys?

They're from Dutch islands - Curacao and Aruba.  That's why they're playing for The Netherlands.  That's why Manny Machado is playing for the Dominican Republic - his family is from there. 

The series has been really good so far.  Haven't watched all the games, or even most of them, but the few I've caught have been exciting.

On 3/15/2017 at 1:07 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Who though the Netherlands would be a wrecking machine in this?  Japan and the Dominican Republic I saw coming.  

can't wait to hear your predicktions.......

If we had Machado at 3rd instead of that kid last night that threw the ball n the dugout, a ground ball that would have gotten us out of the inning and saved Miller and the US perhaps,  we would have a far better chance.  I cant believe that play.   He had plenty of time to throw also as the TV crew tried to stick up for him.  It was just pathetic.  It killed any shot we had.  Jones had just homered also.  The defense is terrible on this US infield.  Now I realize just how good my Orioles infield is. 

The United States of America is the Greatest Country in the history of the Planet Earth.  An American invented the game of Baseball and just right now the All -American Led Baseball Team just proved (at least to Me) that the United States of America is the Strongest Country in terms of Superiority and Class, etc...

I also have very respect for the Team Puerto Rico as they had one of the best rosters during the whole WBC. 

7 hours ago, kingzoso said:

The United States of America is the Greatest Country in the history of the Planet Earth.  An American invented the game of Baseball and just right now the All -American Led Baseball Team just proved (at least to Me) that the United States of America is the Strongest Country in terms of Superiority and Class, etc...

I also have very respect for the Team Puerto Rico as they had one of the best rosters during the whole WBC. 

I must say I would have really feared the Netherlands if they had won that game in extras.  They were the surprise to me.  They scored  a ton of runs.  I am not so sure the USA is the greatest country right now.  I am not talking about baseball in that regard.  The one thing I do not like about the World Classic is the fact that its a one and done game thing. Not really fair in this sport.  Also, the timing of it.  But I guess there is really no real good time to do it without interfering with the season and weather.  I expected Japan to be a handful.  The USA did not even have its best pitcher's there.  Stroman is good but usually not that good.  

13 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

So Team USA won the WBC--if circumstances hadn't prevented me from following along, maybe I could've enjoyed it. Oh well, Opening Day for MLB is not that far away...

Yes even though I did follow it to an extent I did not have the time to watch the games like I wish I could have .  It was too short and too fast.  I am surprised that Japan and the DR were favored over the USA.  But my biggest surprise was the Netherlands and their success.  They almost won the damn thing.  I just wonder how Schoop of my Orioles and Bogaarts of the Red Sox qualify for the Netherlands.  They are as Dutch as I am Italian.  LOL.  They put up a ton of runs.     I certainly think its worth keeping around, this World Classic..  I am not sure of the  plan going forward?

12 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Yes even though I did follow it to an extent I did not have the time to watch the games like I wish I could have .  It was too short and too fast.  I am surprised that Japan and the DR were favored over the USA.  But my biggest surprise was the Netherlands and their success.  They almost won the damn thing.  I just wonder how Schoop of my Orioles and Bogaarts of the Red Sox qualify for the Netherlands.  They are as Dutch as I am Italian.  LOL.  They put up a ton of runs.     I certainly think its worth keeping around, this World Classic..  I am not sure of the  plan going forward?

Rick, did you read what I posted upthread about why they played for Netherlands?? 

I don't even know why I bother... ;) 

On 3/15/2017 at 11:13 PM, ebk said:

They're from Dutch islands - Curacao and Aruba.  That's why they're playing for The Netherlands.  That's why Manny Machado is playing for the Dominican Republic - his family is from there. 

The series has been really good so far.  Haven't watched all the games, or even most of them, but the few I've caught have been exciting.

Well its does not take much I guess.  I would still consider them more American now than Dutch, but I realize the talent would not be competitive if they did not open the door for this type of thing.  I guess its fine and dandy.  Thanks for the info.  Our Orioles are given some huge hope by some of the writers.  They say they are sick of the Orioles proving them wrong and one even thinks the Series is within reach.  You know that I do.

Archived