2017 MLB Regular Season Contest...

paul carruthers

Well, the start of a new MLB season is approaching, so I figured it's time for the 2017 MLB Contest. Here's how it works--pick a winner for each division & you will get awarded a point for each win that team gets during the regular season. Also, pick the 2 teams that you will think will secure the 2 wild card spots for each league.

The points will get added up at the end of each month & naturally, the player with the most points wins. A little added bonus--for division winners an extra 100 points; 75 for Wild Cards.

Past Winners:

2014, LedZeppfan1977

2015, Stargroves Tangie

2016, ebk

Good luck to all....

16 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Well, the start of a new MLB season is approaching, so I figured it's time for the 2017 MLB Contest. Here's how it works--pick a winner for each division & you will get awarded a point for each win that team gets during the regular season. Also, pick the 2 teams that you will think will secure the 2 wild card spots for each league.

The points will get added up at the end of each month & naturally, the player with the most points wins. A little added bonus--for division winners an extra 100 points; 75 for Wild Cards.

Past Winners:

2014, LedZeppfan1977

2015, Stargroves Tangie

2016, ebk

Good luck to all....

Thanks Paul.  I will be on it soon. AS soon as I see the final moves.  My only real O's jersey is of Matt Wieters.  That truly sucks we let him get away.   My boy Givens just got the Puerto Ricans out to give us a shot at another rally in the World Baseball Classic that is a great thing.    I am really shocked at the Netherlands and have been betting them.  They are not just winning they are kicking ass.  But how in hell does Schoop and Bogaarts play for the Dutch?  They are as Dutch as I am Italian.  

I will be on my picks soon.  Feel free to re post over this, IE, bump it so others can see.  You may have to create  new thread?  Talk soon pal.

OH, my mistake.  I read the title wrong. I thought it was the regular season thread.  SORRY

Adam Jones goes deep to cut the leads to 1!!!!!!!

Even though we are only less than 3 weeks from the opener, don't you think there could be some more big FA signings still to come?  I am hoping there are but it seems in my owns teams situation they are going t bank on experience of another year and some of the youth within the organization.  Tillman cannot pitch opening day and is getting a cortizone shot.  That sucks.  But I still feel Gausman is our true ace.  And will prove so.  Him or Bundy could get the ball on opening day.  I would give it to Gausman.  We have a few things going for us.  A great infield, plenty of power (led the bigs in HRs),  a great bullpen and a manager that knows how to use it.   Except in the 11th inning of a do or die playoff game.  I hope he has learned his lesson.  Go to Zach Britton when you have no more rope.

Not making any picks yet, but I have a sinking feeling in the American League, I may go with the same division winners as last year. Of course, I did the same thing a season ago & looked how that turned out...  :rolleyes:

There's always that team or 2 in each league that seems to rise up out of nowhere & make it to October...  :D

10 hours ago, Box of Jimmy's said:

The Seattle Mariners are loaded and are my pick to win it all 

Wow  To win it all?  Quite a statement.  Is that your team?  Boston and the Nationals will get tons of support from the media also I imagine. But the Cubs are still the team to beat.  Let that be known.  My own team is not without a chance by any means.  They have the bats and the gloves.  

:) I've been saying Seattle Mariners for 40 years now.  I'm a life long Seattle resident who will never give up!  LOL.  Cubs are a very good team, but I just got done placing another 100 year curse on them so they're out.  Go Mariners!! 

On a side note, I attended the very first Mariner game ever, in April 1977. 3 months later I saw Led Zeppelin perform in the same venue, the Kingdome.

On 3/21/2017 at 4:00 PM, Box of Jimmy's said:

:) I've been saying Seattle Mariners for 40 years now.  I'm a life long Seattle resident who will never give up!  LOL.  Cubs are a very good team, but I just got done placing another 100 year curse on them so they're out.  Go Mariners!! 

On a side note, I attended the very first Mariner game ever, in April 1977. 3 months later I saw Led Zeppelin perform in the same venue, the Kingdome.

Well it won't take much to be the favorites in your division.  I am not totally sold on the Mariners just yet.  Lets just put the facts on the table.  The Cubs are the favorites and should be.  They are the team to beat.  I would say the Nationals and Dodgers are right there also in the NL.  And I cant ignore Paul's Mets pitching staff, but they do not have the team to back up the staff IMO.  So no picks have actually been made here yet?  I cant wait to see if Kingzoso has the balls to pick his Cardinals over the Cubbies in the Central.  I am picking the Cubs for sure.  I think perhaps the toughest division from top to bottom may be the AL Central.  Cleveland is loaded.  But they have plenty of competition with KC and likely the Tigers and maybe even the White Sox.  I will be ready soon as it seems the rosters are pretty much set.  I am still wondering if some moves will be made though?c

Well, I guess I'll break the ice, so to speak. I know most of the regulars like to get in before the final bell, Rick, so it appears the same this year...  :D

The picks:

NL East - NY Mets (a shocker, I know)...

NL Central - Go Cubs, Go...

NL West - G-Men

NL Wild Cards - St. Louis, Dodgers

AL East - Boston

AL Central - Indians

AL West - Texas

AL Wild Cards - Detroit, Baltimore

53 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

Well, I guess I'll break the ice, so to speak. I know most of the regulars like to get in before the final bell, Rick, so it appears the same this year...  :D

The picks:

NL West - G-Men

AL East - Boston

AL Central - Indians

AL West - Texas

Wow. So you are leaving the Nationals and the Mariners out?  I have to say that surprises me.  And you had to put ST Louis in to swell someone's head even more than its swollen now.  Oh man.   Well at least you did not infuriate me and leave my Orioles out.  LOL.  I assume the G men are the SF Giants?  Over the Dodgers for the division?  Wow again.  Now I am really tempted to put mine up but I must see the lineups.  I have to see just how big and bad these Mariners really look.   So you are in Paul but of course you have until opening day to change if you wish.  

AL East:  Boston

AL Central:  Cleveland

AL West:  Houston

AL Wild Cards:  Toronto, Texas

NL East:  Washington

NL Central:  Chicago

NL West:  Los Angeles

NL Wild Cards:  New York, San Francisco

On 3/25/2017 at 2:17 PM, paul carruthers said:

The picks:

NL West - G-Men

AL East - Boston

AL Central - Indians

AL West - Texas

OK, the clock is ticking so its almost here.  Here are my picks.

AL East  Baltimore ( i know what you are thinking.  But i say Bundy and Gausman have huge years)

AL Central   Cleveland

AL West  Seattle

Wild Cards    Boston ,  Toronto

NL East   Washington

NL Central   Chicago Cubs

NL West LA Dodgers

Wild Cards     NY Mets,  Atlanta  ( I may change this pick but I am going to take a shot against the SF Giants getting in.  I do not believe.  Someone is going to knock them out.   I am going to plug the Braves in here for now, but have more studying to do on Colorado and a few other teams.  So I may change this one, may not.

Well it will not allow me to edit my above picks.  So this is my updated one.  

AL East          Baltimore Orioles

AL Central    Cleveland Indians

AL West         Seattle Mariners

Wild Card teams       Boston,   Texas

NL East          Washington Nationals

NL Central      Chicago Cubs

NL West           Lost Angeles Dodgers

Wild Card teams       NY Mets,     Colorado Rockies   (going out on a limb.  Was leaning Atlanta but too many games vs Nats and Mets, But they could prove me wrong as they are  proud franchise are the Braves.  Just believe this is the year SF crash's)

Okay, I've done extensive research.  Here goes:

AL

Boston, Cleveland, Houston

WC - Toronto, Seattle 

NL

Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles

WC - San Francisco,  St Louis

I have no confidence in any of my picks.  Ever.

Play Ball!!!!!

On 3/31/2017 at 8:53 PM, ebk said:

I'm doing research (or just procrastinating...)

I'll post this weekend.

i am disappointed.  I mean, its so insulting putting Bautista and his pile of shitheads in and us out.  Its not happening.  We will lead the lead in HRS and we will be in this thing right to the finish.

Thanks for stepping up and having faith like me Dazed and Confused.  I think the mass's here think we are both Dazed and Confused.  But even Paul picks us to get in.  Now I have to write Strider to get his picks up if he has forgotten?

30 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

i am disappointed.  I mean, its so insulting putting Bautista and his pile of shitheads in and us out.  Its not happening.  We will lead the lead in HRS and we will be in this thing right to the finish.

It's okay Rick - breathe :D .  Nothing would make me happier than being wrong about the Os getting into the post season.  And really, I didn't pick them last year either and they got in (albeit briefly).

46 minutes ago, ebk said:

It's okay Rick - breathe :D .  Nothing would make me happier than being wrong about the Os getting into the post season.  And really, I didn't pick them last year either and they got in (albeit briefly).

I have to buy a new jersey as my number 32 Wieters jersey is now worthless.  I just tried to play ESPN free fantasy .  Its a joke.  Bids come up for real money.  I do not understand it.  I will likely be given two crap teams for signing up.  I wont waster my time.

Archived