LED ZEPPELIN'S 50th ANNIVERSARY PLANS?

Strider

7 hours ago, anniemouse said:

Yes along the lines of Anthology or Crossfire Hurricane.

There will never be a Led Zeppelin Anthology or something similar to Crossfire Hurricane because the footage simply does not exist. They can't even scrape together enough worthwhile footage to release a second retrospective dvd. On the other hand, The Beatles and The Rolling Stones are two of the most documented popular music groups of all time.

1 hour ago, anniemouse said:

Could they do it with first person interviews and photo stills?.

As far as a full blown, proper retrospective, why bother? For one thing, John Bonham is gone as is Peter Grant. For another, there are so many television and radio documentaries/interviews already on the record it's hard to imagine there's anything left unsaid.

So as I think about this, a 50th Anniversary event or feature, the only thing that makes sense is something similar to what The Beatles did for Anthology, specifically where the surviving members got together in those relaxed, unstructured situations to discuss and reflect upon the past. As we've said, video footage to accompany it simply doesn't exist, and the use of too many photos stills turns it into Ken Burns Civil War. So just get them together in three or four relaxed situations, let the cameras roll and take a devil may care approach to it. 

Imagine Page, Plant and Jones reunited at the Chateau Marmont to discuss 1968-1972, the lobby of a London hotel to discuss 1973-1976, and a final discussion in a Berlin hotel to discuss 1977-1980. Unsure if these talks are open to the public or not (I'm thinking not as these should be intimate discussions, producing candor and laughter between them) but the public may encounter them around town. Edit it down, press it to dvd and make tons of $$$, a portion of which should be sent to me for the concept. You're all welcome

I shall be glad to be proved wrong, but has anyone noted the general reluctance by Mr Plant and Mr Jones to feed the corporate media machine any more than they have to? Look at their statements and overall attitudes over the decades. Plant's on record several times as being anti-corporate, anti-milking for profit. Jones has never appeared to take any of it too seriously either, seemingly more interested in the here and now, musically. Apart from the big Zep releases and events, it would appear they're not too interested compared to Mr Page's eternal enthusiasm. That said, the last authorized documentary was probably 1990's MTV 30min one.

And don't forget, a defunct band's fear about being forgotten is what has arguably damaged several bands' legacies by means of questionable, if not needless, releases and multiple Best Of collections. You know who I mean!!

Edited by FavouriteTipple

1 hour ago, FavouriteTipple said:

I shall be glad to be proved wrong, but has anyone noted the general reluctance by Mr Plant and Mr Jones to feed the corporate media machine any more than they have to?

You are correct, and it's because Page in large part was the one pushing for remasters for the umpteenth time. They agree to it, but he is the one to handle the majority of the promotional duties.  

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

As we've said, video footage to accompany it simply doesn't exist, and the use of too many photos stills turns it into Ken Burns Civil War.

LOL. Maybe if it was a doco on The Band it would work.

A doco doesn't excite me at all, for all the reasons listed above.Nowadays with YouTube, we have an archive of all the interviews anyway.

Plus, Page is a poor interviewee. Not really up for a laugh and never wants to deviate from the "We were so good" line.

Plant will probably be touring the new album next year, so he might be tempted to do some 50th promotional stuff to boost his profile and ticket sales for his solo gigs.

The only commemoration I would get excited about would be a live compilation 75-80.

On 13/04/2017 at 2:20 AM, anniemouse said:

Has there ever been a detailed documentary of the band with interviews from all involved. 

I've suggested somewhere in this forum a doco akin to "Classic Albums" - Cameron Crowe to produce/direct. The 3 of them, Jason where it's relevent, others that were on the scene in Zep's heyday, producers/engineers, even a few other bands kicking in the occasional context.

The three of them discussing each album, getting into each song. JP and JPJ occasionally with instruments in hand, and engineers at mixing board with original seperate tracks to discuss and excite how the tracks came together (as they did with the "Classic Albums" series). It could be made into a damn mini series. Could be coupled with Live releases from each period as well. Everything Zeppelin for 2018/2019.

If someone got to making this happen, I have no doubt whatsoever it would enhance the legacy, and give a new lease of life to the Zep world.

Done properly this could be the masterpiece final word on Zeppelin by those that are Zeppelin.

Sadly, this will remain my own rambling dream. But I will dream!!!

1 hour ago, rm2551 said:

I've suggested somewhere in this forum a doco akin to "Classic Albums" - Cameron Crowe to produce/direct. The 3 of them, Jason where it's relevent, others that were on the scene in Zep's heyday, producers/engineers, even a few other bands kicking in the occasional context.

The three of them discussing each album, getting into each song. JP and JPJ occasionally with instruments in hand, and engineers at mixing board with original seperate tracks to discuss and excite how the tracks came together (as they did with the "Classic Albums" series). It could be made into a damn mini series. Could be coupled with Live releases from each period as well. Everything Zeppelin for 2018/2019.

If someone got to making this happen, I have no doubt whatsoever it would enhance the legacy, and give a new lease of life to the Zep world.

Done properly this could be the masterpiece final word on Zeppelin by those that are Zeppelin.

Sadly, this will remain my own rambling dream. But I will dream!!!

This is absolutely a great idea, I've been saying and hoping this for a while too. Pie in the sky. Shame, because it would be relatively easy and it would sell. 

10 hours ago, anniemouse said:

That would work. Would focus on what made them great and would give insights into the creative process.

Exactly. And would be of interest not just to us hardcore typre's but in general would be a great show.

And good savvy marketing and management team could leverage it greatly to make the Led Zeppelin name really resurge. And since their reputation of live playing is so great, obviously this opens up opportunities for some live releases from each period.

A completely resurgent Zeppelin. It could so easily happen - and at some point in the future, either a year or two or a decade or two - there WILL be a second wind for Zeppelin.

On 3/22/2017 at 3:20 AM, Brigante said:

Thinking about it, this piece only says that Jimmy's active discussions 'may be' about Led Zeppelin. Which means that, equally, they 'may not be'...

Quantum Paradox? Schrodinger's Cat???

8 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Exactly. And would be of interest not just to us hardcore typre's but in general would be a great show.

And good savvy marketing and management team could leverage it greatly to make the Led Zeppelin name really resurge. And since their reputation of live playing is so great, obviously this opens up opportunities for some live releases from each period.

A completely resurgent Zeppelin. It could so easily happen - and at some point in the future, either a year or two or a decade or two - there WILL be a second wind for Zeppelin.

In your dreams fella, wake up and smell the reality.

I think the last thing Plant wants to do is talk about classic Zep albums for a documentary series. Anyway, they pretty much covered that in a radio documentary narrated by alan fluff freeman back in 1990 to coincide with the first remasters.

Will be interesting to see how they broach the whole anniversary affair. zep are unconventional. If it's a limited edition signed print from jimmys website, then....

1 hour ago, Boleskinner said:

I think the last thing Plant wants to do is talk about classic Zep albums for a documentary series. Anyway, they pretty much covered that in a radio documentary narrated by alan fluff freeman back in 1990 to coincide with the first remasters.

Will be interesting to see how they broach the whole anniversary affair. zep are unconventional. If it's a limited edition signed print from jimmys website, then....

Or the band full stop

19 hours ago, JTM said:

In your dreams fella, wake up and smell the reality.

I completely concede this is 99% not going to eventuate. And more the pity. It is fun to dream though. Who else am I going to share these fantasies with?

Reality is but the realisation of possibility after all.

20 hours ago, kayley10 said:

The problrm is that even if such a documentary is made, it would only be one album and probably the eternal war horse, Led Zeppelin IV.

...which has pretty much already been done before with Jimmy & Robert on the In The Studio radio program with Redbeard.

10 hours ago, The Rover said:

No need to do anything. They're not still together as a band, touring and recording. The Super Deluxe version of LZ I has already been released.

LZI_Deluxe_Box.jpg

Ha! Yeah, maybe they should've waited a few years before doing these releases. Premature ejac? 

On 4/13/2017 at 6:07 PM, SteveAJones said:

...Imagine Page, Plant and Jones reunited at the Chateau Marmont- Edit it down, press it to dvd and make tons of $$$, a portion of which should be sent to me for the concept. You're all welcome

this stuck with me since you posted it and ya know SAJ you have something here. 

Could borrow some of the format from "It Might Get Loud" especially the informality. Screen it to theaters which would minimize the need to get on the promo circuit and slog thru all that and it would provide access to the content for many who would not be able to win a ticket lottery.

Aaaaaand JP could put together a soundtrack, remaster it- with a companion disc- and well there you have it the 50th Anniversary super D deluxe extra bonus issue with marbled mothership red vinyl with a SRTS genuine reissue tshirt available in Japan since the Medium and Large do not fit anglos.

See what you do to me- want to don't want to. Can't help it.