LED ZEPPELIN'S 50th ANNIVERSARY PLANS?

Strider

On 3/22/2017 at 5:20 AM, Brigante said:

Thinking about it, this piece only says that Jimmy's active discussions 'may be' about Led Zeppelin. Which means that, equally, they 'may not be'...

Could be something Yardbirds related.  Clearing out the vaults. Finally issuing "Knowing that I'm losing You" (the original "Tangerine")?  Maybe he found a way to

clean up the Anderson Theater recording. Or the devastatingly good LA Shrine shows.  What's better than the Jimmy Page Yardbirds in their final days blasting

through "Waiting for the Man"?  (Oh, right - Led Zeppelin blasting through "As Long As I have You" medley). 

Could be about the Joe Cocker single too - "With a Little Help From My Friends" was a 1968 event. 

On 17/04/2017 at 4:56 PM, The Dark Lord said:

50th anniversary........now you know why a couple of obvious nuggets, such as Swan Song, were kept in the vaults and not included in the recent remasters. Perhaps a special RSD release, or something like that. 

Jimmy Page said in a Tight But Loose interview published in July 2015 that he might release Led Zeppelin material on Record Store Day "in five years time."

26 minutes ago, JTM said:

I really don't get why there is discussion about this "non event",  it's almost eighteen months away....Nothing will happen............ 

There will be a few magazine articles, people will go on about a mythical reunion & Jimmy Page will tell everyone how good they were again.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree, at this point it does not look like anything will take place in terms of a reunion performance of any sort.

You can expect some TV specials, and rehashing of existing stuff.  Maybe, just maybe someone execs will sit down and decide to release new greatest hit package or something.  That is awesome for casual fans, but for those who presently own all official Led Zeppelin recordings (and maybe some unofficial stuff too) these things just don't matter.  We would feel gifted if there was a performance and/or the release of old live shows.  Don't expect either

For me: A Final one-off concert in the US (where Led Zeppelin became the biggest band in the world and sold the most records), a live concert (unreleased show) and/or any documentary DVD/Blu Ray or a release of new/unreleased material from Page, Plant, Jones & Bonham featuring Jason would be welcome at any time, especially to mark their 50th Anniversary. None are likely, but if anything other than a rehash of a hits compilation would be great. 

R?

Edited by reids

I agree that we will like get none of those things. I do expect some box set or some recording released of some sort. But again, nothing that will excite the fans who have everything already.  Now, if one of their best known bootlegs were legitimized as an official releas, that would be awesome.

yes,, a one off show, a new album, all that would be awesome.

Surely it won't be another "best of" release???? I can't see the guys agreeing to that. I think the best we can hope for is a really well put together doco. And the slight chance of a live release.

We can always hope for a live release because these will always be a possibility.  Clearly, there are tons of reels of tape and film all over the place and these could be cobbled into live albums based on one show (or one stay in a given city) or maybe some box set of live performances.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2017 at 8:24 AM, reids said:

Yes indeed & it can for the mighty Zeppelin, too!!! 

R?

The new Sgt Peppers 50th anniversary release is very nice.

There's no compelling reason why Zep couldn't do a through the years live compilation of stuff never before released. Multi tracks from RAH, Long Beach and LA 72, Southampton and MSG 73, Earl's Court, maybe Knebworth. Maybe there are other multi tracks that can be revisited and polished up.  JP should get cracking, since he doesn't play, record or tour. Zep fans are starved for previously unheard live or studio material . When I first heard St Tristan's Sword I thought, fuck ...this is what we want more of!!! That would be an optimal way to commemorate their 50th anniversary IMO. 

A best of live '68-'80 compilation 2 or 3 cd set with a few unreleased demos, sound checks & covers on a bonus (3rd or 4th) disc for their 50th Anniversary would be great.  

R?

Edited by reids

I agree.  A box set of 4 or 5 discs, maybe a broad selection of live recordings personally chosen by the band.  That would be nice.  Choosing live tracks from various years could work very well.  Choices could be based on themes, or maybe just a 'best of' live.  When you commit to one show only, you have to deal with the bad bits, poorly recorded parts, songs that were less than stellar, etc.

So for the 50th, give me a box set of live material, selections of concerts, individual songs, whatever.  And no gimmicks like repros of tickets, just put everything in to a thick colorful book that fits nicely n the box.

10 hours ago, irondirigible said:

So... when EXACTLY is the 50th?  

I guess fans can only hope that as the band as well as those who handle their merchandise begin to talk of the 50th, some of the aforementioned ideas will at least be discussed.

Late August / early September (7th)  2018, I would presume, since they started as the New Yardbirds and played Scandinavian tour early on or early 2019 to mark 50 years from original release of their first album. I'd go with late summer / early fall 2018. 

R? 

Edited by reids

What Jimmy will be doing for Zeppelin's 50th: 

In other words spending his later years doing nothing of significance while playing a guitar for no one. I suspect Plant and Jones will be busy doing whatever shows/tours they are booked to play rather than refusing to make any music. 

5 hours ago, Mr. Mountain Hop said:

Does anybody know what day in 1968 that Pagey, Percy, Jonesy and Bonzo first performed in a room together, playing 'Train Kept A-Rollin''? Some time in late August/early September. I would consider that day as the exact moment Led Zeppelin was born.

There was a thread on this here a while ago. Aug 12 1968 is the alleged date of the first jam which took place in a rehearsal room above the old Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club at 39 Gerrard St. The building is still there. Hallowed ground for us Zep fans.