'73 Soundboards ?

porgie66

With the latest release coming soon of another '75 board tape ( Seattle 3/21/75) , I have been wondering if anyone here knows why so many '73 board tapes are incomplete and if there is a chance that the complete tapes may be released or escape from their hiding places? I'm specifically referring to the tapes that only have the last few songs of the concert, like Houston, Denver, San Francisco, Detroit has a couple tunes. As exciting as it is to have the Seattle 3/21 SBD , I would really be stoked about one of the aforementioned shows coming out. Also, what's up with all the incomplete tapes that don't contains the last third of the show??  Mobile, Salt Lake, Seattle, Bonzo's Bday. 

Yeah, it's puzzling and frustrating for sure, and something I too have wondered about. It's almost like somebody stole half of the stash or something. I was surprised when some of the more complete ones appeared, like New Orleans and San Diego. I would love a complete Mobile or LA. I think if they were available, we'd have them by now. I hope they're out there but I kinda doubt it. IIRC the person who located Mobile said "That's all there is" from that show. 

1 hour ago, badgeholder said:

Yeah, it's puzzling and frustrating for sure, and something I too have wondered about. It's almost like somebody stole half of the stash or something. I was surprised when some of the more complete ones appeared, like New Orleans and San Diego. I would love a complete Mobile or LA. I think if they were available, we'd have them by now. I hope they're out there but I kinda doubt it. IIRC the person who located Mobile said "That's all there is" from that show. 

Yes, but possible they're in the hands of hoarders. BTW, the soundboard fragment for Long Beach 72 is one of the best I've ever heard. Much better than any 75 or 77 board. It's a multi track, not a board feed. That would be the money, to get that whole show! 

I can only speculate that in '73 the tapes (or whatever) could only hold 2/3 of a show, so it took two tapes to get a complete recording, and chances are someone who snatched a tape could only grab one and was therefore only getting part of the show (hence the general pattern of '73 board lengths).  (Note that the complete 7-6-73 Chicago show sounds like it comes from two different sources, San Diego is not complete [no D&C], New Orleans is a bit of an outlier.)  But I have no idea.  I too am skeptical there's any more out there, hopefully I'm wrong.  I would love to hear the rest of 7-27-73 in NYC, I've always been surprised nothing from the first half (before The Rain Song) has ever surfaced. 

8 hours ago, ohjimmy said:

Or some of the March '73 gigs which are partial. Bring them on !!

I remember reading some place that Page wanted to hear how the Dazed jam and WLL medleys were sounding post gig so that's why he had those sections recorded off the board. I've never heard of any complete March 73 Europe tapes existing. Some of their best played shows ever IMO, although Plant is in very rough voice for that tour. 

Archived