Live 1975-1980

ForEvermore

20 hours ago, Strider said:

As a matter of fact, I do. I was thinking of starting with one of the Chicago shows but the audience tapes are rather poor. So I will begin 1975 with the first of the great soundboard releases that the 21st century has brought us...Feb. 12, 1975 Madison Square Garden.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

I will set aside time for this very soon - thank you! :D

17 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

^ Make sure you have the volume WAY up for Bonham's thunderous fills in "Heartbreaker"!

Oh, I shall! Thank you for the advice! :D

Of the 1975 shows I saw, the first ( Long Beach 3.12) and last (3.27 LA Forum) stand out the most.

3.12.75 Long Beach Arena...Mike Millard was late and only captured the last 30 minutes of the show. Therefore the other audience tape is used until Millard's tape begins in "Stairway to Heaven", and is heavy on the bass so you'll want to turn your bass down.

3.27.75 LA Forum...on a tour filled with splendid "No Quarter"s, this was one of the best.

Seattle was another West Coast city that brought out the best in Led Zeppelin. This soundboard of the March 17, 1975 show is killer. The Jones/Bonham interplay on "No Quarter" will raise the hair on the back of your neck and you get a rare complete "Crunge" performance.

Disc 1:

Disc 2:

Disc 3:

I feel like I've died and gone to Zep Heaven! :D

I wish I had posted this topic sooner!

Thank you to everyone who has responded to my humble query on the thread and off so far - by all means, please continue letting me/us know about more links to shows if you have them! I was always frustrated by the apparent lack (a thought I now know was and is completely wrong) of later-era Zep shows - all of you have collectively soothed my desire to hear good later-era shows. :)

Thank you very much and, again, please continue! :D

OK - your suggestions have been magnificent! (Thanks as well who have expanded my listening world off-list  - I greatly appreciate it!)

So, I guess I have to ask what must be heard from the 1979-80 tours. As you may have guessed, all I have ever heard is the segment of the Knebworth show on the LZ DVD (side question - will that ever appear on BluRay?)...

46 minutes ago, ForEvermore said:

OK - your suggestions have been magnificent! (Thanks as well who have expanded my listening world off-list  - I greatly appreciate it!)

So, I guess I have to ask what must be heard from the 1979-80 tours. As you may have guessed, all I have ever heard is the segment of the Knebworth show on the LZ DVD (side question - will that ever appear on BluRay?)...

Well first off, F Knebworth IMO. The first show on the 4th was average though it did have excellent versions of both Kashmir & ALS so there is that. Jimmy was completely out of it on the 11th until the encores at which point someone must have given him a line of coke to finally wake his ass up to perform a blistering, punk rock version of Communication Breakdown which is one of my favorite versions played live. Plant's screams the lyrics and the rest of the band is intense, driving, and precise. Robert's screaming, don't give a fuck vocals actually add to the song and improve on it insofar as the setting. It was if right before they went back out for this final encore Robert said, "ok, we pretty much fucked that up so lets go out there and do one more...leave it all right there on the stage shit or bust. And with that they knocked it out of the park.

The real gems of 79' were the two Copenhagen dates in late July. Jimmy is playing at peak level at both shows, Jones & Bonham are tight as it gets, and Robert in good voice. These two shows are just fantastic though the 24th is slightly better as they did not have the sound issues they had the night before. Playing wise though both are very, very strong and exciting shows.

1980 -  The first four concerts of this run are very strong and everyone is on, after that the tour goes from night's of brilliance to night's of mediocrity and back again but no real turds. The shows which really have the band in the best form are Rotterdam, Zurich, & Frankfurt. Shout out goes to the wonderful and eclectic WLL from Berlin. This being the last song the band would ever perform together live it was a great way to go out. 

The July 24, 1979 is the more preferable of the two Copenhagen warm-up dates, not just because of less technical issues with the equipment, but also because it has a better setlist. "Ten Years Gone" and "Sick Again" were added the second night, which adds to the power of the show. Unfortunately, you still have to put up with the cranky impatient Dutch clapping. 'Ave a listen...

The 1980 Tour has some relatively good performances, and even a few great renditions of some songs. Full-on consistently great shows are harder to come by. Then there is the soundboard problem...frankly, the 1980 soundboards make the band sound worse. They suck the life out of the music. When possible, try to find a decent audience source as an alternative to the soundboards.

I wish Conneyfogel, ledzepfilm, Led Zeppelin Rarities, and the other YouTube uploaders would spend their time uploading the 1980 audience tapes instead of the soundboards. I can't find any audience uploads on YouTube, so here is the soundboard to one of the best 1980 shows: Frankfurt.

Then, there is the final show in Berlin July 7. 1980. An uneven show that goes from some of their highest highs to their lowest lows.

IpMan posted one of the better moments already...the "Whole Lotta Love" clip. Another highlight is a crazed "Trampled Under Foot"...the longest, wildest one ever.

3 hours ago, Strider said:

Then, there is the final show in Berlin July 7. 1980. An uneven show that goes from some of their highest highs to their lowest lows.

IpMan posted one of the better moments already...the "Whole Lotta Love" clip. Another highlight is a crazed "Trampled Under Foot"...the longest, wildest one ever.

Seems Bonzo finally came to life during this. The other great Trampled's from this tour are a showcase for Page and Jones, Bonzo seems almost not present in a few of them. Frankfurt and Zurich are shorter and less exploratory, but pack a much bigger punch IMHO. But Bonham is nowhere near as animated as he used to get.

I'm thoroughly impressed with all of the choices all of you have posted. Again, I wish I had made my request even sooner! :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :D

If any other songs/shows should be known about from this era, please continue!

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2017 at 5:35 PM, Xolo1974 said:

Nah mate, I wish I had. But after spending years as a teenager/grown man badly wanting more live zep stuff, discovering the world of bootlegs and just getting to have a copy of 'eddie' was more than enough for me. It's enough to be grateful for. 

I may look to buy it in hard form one of these days. But I have a family to look after. After buying a good road bike, a mountain bike, a kayak, an acoustic guitar, vox amp and a telecaster in the last four years.....I can't push my look too far..l have a beautiful accomodating wife. But I don't wanna push my luck, know what I mean? Lol 

Hi Xolo:)

If you can spare the few dollars get on ebay . . theres always a copy of LTTE from Moonchild records going for about $20. . I bought one and it sounds great!!:)

3 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

Hi Xolo:)

If you can spare the few dollars get on ebay . . theres always a copy of LTTE from Moonchild records going for about $20. . I bought one and it sounds great!!:)

yeah, but if moonchild is just the winston remaster of LTTE - why not just download it? Winston makes his remasters FREE for everyone to enjoy.

Burn it yourself, or play flac's through the PC. Works for me! I can help with the Winston remaster if needed. It's not hard to get.

10 hours ago, rm2551 said:

yeah, but if moonchild is just the winston remaster of LTTE - why not just download it? Winston makes his remasters FREE for everyone to enjoy.

Burn it yourself, or play flac's through the PC. Works for me! I can help with the Winston remaster if needed. It's not hard to get.

I did and I do download. . Theres just something to having a copy you can have in your hands. . seems to give music more personality when you can look at inserts instead of lifeless mp3s or whatever:)

3 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

I did and I do download. . Theres just something to having a copy you can have in your hands. . seems to give music more personality when you can look at inserts instead of lifeless mp3s or whatever:)

I understand this, also I prefer to play discs through my stereo which necessitates converting lossless files to burn discs. Its not a problem for me, but I remember when I got started it was a bit of a hassle. Once you get it together though, its the most economical way to go. 

Archived