Cozy Powell joins Led Zeppelin (Rare pics)

Not long after John Bonhams Death there were many rumours in the press stating Cozy Powell was Joining Led Zeppelin, I think this boys night out in a Local Boozer may have been part of it, The Bloke who sent me these pictures said it was an Utter shock for several of the biggest names in rock popped into his local for a pint and a Fag, the only thing at hand for an autograph was the back of a beer mat. Amongst them was Page & Plant, Peter Grant, John Paul Jones, Cozy Powell and Gary Bardens. He said there may have been acouple of others but couldn’t remember. Cozy Powell had friends with Plant & Bonham since the 60’s, but I think the real reason for being there was to meet up with Gary Bardens the Singer in MSG (Michael Schenker Group) who he was just about to join. 201008231617337840.jpg201008231617263482.jpg201008231617204608.jpg201008231617148203.jpg201008231616417158.jpg201008231617095989.jpg

TSRTS - Thanks for sharing the photos. 

I'm guessing the rumors about Cozy joining Zep (back then - and there were quite a few names including Carl Palmer) probably came about because someone saw Cozy in the same place with Page and Plant.

1 hour ago, sixpense said:

Grey. 

I wondered this too because it seems odd that he was going grey/gray at 36. Never saw traces of that in any other pic. It looks like a bandage to me. Or something...

1 hour ago, sixpense said:

Grey. 

Thanks, man!
"Gray" is more commonly used in the U.S. as a colo(u)r than "Grey". Please excuse my unflavo(u)rful behavio(u)r.
So, you reside in the U.S., where "sixpence" is roughly the equivalent of "fiddy cent"? Hmm.

I welcome unsolicited advice.

Damn, Page looks like shit, the grey sideburns and his addiction. I guess the premature grey was caused by the combination of addiction and tragedy. Plant looks a good two stone heavier and the shorter hair just makes his face appear even plumper. Though it is nice to see Plant no dye his hair blonde for a change. There is a pic posted here in some thread of Plant in 70' I believe, coming out of a pool and he has the mustache and goatee. Due to the water his hair appears dark brown and he looks much better with the darker hair vs. the blonde locks IMO.

Anyway, what I find strange if this is indeed Dec 81' is Plant hanging about with Page & Jones. The only reason I could think of them all being together, plus Grant, was possibly signing MSG to Swan Song. Maybe in 81' the lads thought about focusing on Swan Song and developing talent? Can anyone shed some light on this?

26 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Damn, Page looks like shit, the grey sideburns and his addiction. I guess the premature grey was caused by the combination of addiction and tragedy. Plant looks a good two stone heavier and the shorter hair just makes his face appear even plumper. Though it is nice to see Plant no dye his hair blonde for a change. There is a pic posted here in some thread of Plant in 70' I believe, coming out of a pool and he has the mustache and goatee. Due to the water his hair appears dark brown and he looks much better with the darker hair vs. the blonde locks IMO.

Anyway, what I find strange if this is indeed Dec 81' is Plant hanging about with Page & Jones. The only reason I could think of them all being together, plus Grant, was possibly signing MSG to Swan Song. Maybe in 81' the lads thought about focusing on Swan Song and developing talent? Can anyone shed some light on this?

First, let me say these photos knocked my socks off! It's always great to acquire another candid shot of Peter Grant, not to mention Page, Plant and Jones.

Photos were taken at the Golden Lion pub in Fulham on December 15, 1981...Golden Lion Roadies for Children Charity - Silly Party Night...Page, Plant, Jones and Grant hand out raffle prizes…7pm to midnight.

4 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

First, let me say these photos knocked my socks off! It's always great to acquire another candid shot of Peter Grant, not to mention Page, Plant and Jones.

Secondly, looking into confirmation of the date and location. Perhaps TSRTS can ask the original photographer about it. He should recall the name of the pub, if not an approximate date.

Yes, these are great pictures and Grant IMO looks good. There is grey in his beard but he looks jovial and healthy.

6 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Yes, these are great pictures and Grant IMO looks good. There is grey in his beard but he looks jovial and healthy.

In his autobiography he admits he entered a period of great darkness following the end of Led Zeppelin. However, it is clear his spirits were lifted this evening they were all able to enjoy together. 

3 hours ago, porgie66 said:

I wondered this too because it seems odd that he was going grey/gray at 36. Never saw traces of that in any other pic. It looks like a bandage to me. Or something...

His hair color looks brown in those photos as well and I recall that Jimmy had black hair sometimes? So he had to have colored it back then at some point.

5 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Photos were taken at the Golden Lion pub in Fulham on December 15, 1981...Golden Lion Roadies for Children Charity - Silly Party Night...Page, Plant, Jones and Grant hand out raffle prizes…7pm to midnight.

I've done well then to be able to impress you haha!

From tbl archives:

Golden Lion Reunion 35 years gone…

golden-four-225x300.jpg

December 15 – that is a date that always revives memories of the first public reunion of Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones which I was lucky enough to be in attendance.

Here’s the story:

Back in the early months of 1981, Lynn Sizemore who was PR to the Golden Lion Roadies Charity For Children Association, the charity formed from the Fulham pub often frequented by the Zep / Swan Song entourage, approached me to publicise in the next issue of TBL, a children’s charity raffle being held in December. I was only too willing to help and we began planning how this would all work. The raffle was duly featured in TBL issue 6 which came out in the late summer of 1981. I had a few meetings with Lynn during this period including one memorable occasion at the Golden Lion pub in Fulham. Robert’s sound man Benjii Lefevre was in attendance and I was introduced to John Bindon the notorious London character who had been with the Zep entourage on the 1977 tour and involved in the infamous Oakland fracas. Robert and John Paul Jones had already promised to attend and give prizes out on the night set for December 15th, so it was always going to be a special evening.

golden-five-300x225.jpg

Even more so after the call I made to Swan Song the week before the event. Sian at Swan Song informed me that Jimmy was also due to attend. It duly turned into something of a grand Swan Song reunion – in true Zep style.

Golden-lion-300x197.jpg

On the night itself, Peter Grant arrived with Jimmy around 8.30. A combat attired Robert and smartly dressed JPJ were already in tow. Various roadies, Swan Song employees and guests (including Cozy Powell) were there as was John Bindon again. Tom Locke and I spent a memorable night in the pub as Jimmy, Robert and JPJ mingled by the bar and duly got up on stage to present the prizes of Jimmy’s Yamaha acoustic guitar (wonder where that is now?) and a set of personally signed albums. The main winner was an American guy ( pic above) while runner up was, Steve Simmons, a TBL subscriber from Bristol. Here’s a pic below of Steve on stage receiving his prize.

golden lion 1

Jimmy looked in slightly better shape than he had in Europe the previous year and told me he was working on the Death Wish 2 soundtrack. As a Christmas present I gave Robert a copy of a large format History Of The Blues book (wonder if still adorns his book shelf?) to which he acknowledged with the classic “Eye Thank yew” catchphrase so prevalent on the Over Europe tour. I took the opportunity to tell Peter and Atlantic’s Phil Carson of my plans to write a major reference work on the band’s music though it would be another eight years on in the Marquee (at a Jason Bonham gig) when I was able to tell the pair of them that the book (Led Zeppelin A Celebration) was soon to be a reality.

It may have been a strictly non playing role, but this unexpected Led Zeppelin reunion was full of warmth and good cheer. Underlying all that though was the definite feeling that they now all had separate plans – Jimmy with the soundtrack, Robert with the in progress recording of his debut album and Jonesy who wryly informed someone at the bar that he was now on permanent school run duty for his daughter’s back in Devon. It would be another eleven years before all three appeared in public together in the UK again to attend the 1992 Q Awards to collect the outstanding achievement award, and another 26 years before they played together on that night of nights in December 2007.

Fast forward to August 29th, 2013 and the Colston Hall Bristol.

golden lion 2

As we were making our way into the arena for Robert’s Sensational Space Shifters show amazingly enough I bumped into Steve Simmons for the first time since that night at the Golden Lion back in 1981. Steve was carrying a photo book of the pics he took back then – we had a good old chinwag about how he had been the runner up in the competition and the signed albums he was presented with on that night all of 35 years ago. The first, but not the last grand reunion…

Archived