Favourite Plant Introduction of Bonham's Solo

Bonzo_fan

One of my favourite parts of any show, especially in '75, is Plant's introduction of Bonham prior to "Pat's Delight"/"Moby Dick"/"Over The Top".  So, I'm curious what your favourites are.  Try to transcribe if possible.  I'll start:

While 6/21/77 is a classic, I'll go with March 20, 1975 in Vancouver:

"Right, now it's our pleasure to feature one of the more...perhaps...probably the most gentle man in rock music today.  A man who spends his time looking at photographs of butterflies and thinking of the times when.  A man I've known for eleven years of my life, and I could never say for a moment that I've regretted one of those moments with him.  A man who doesn't wash under his arms. *Bonham cackles* A man who's a stinking, rotten, dirty pig.  Ladies and gentlemen, my friend and yours, John Bonham, 'Moby Dick'!"

Oh man, so many good ones. I'll have to do some listening, but one that pops into my mind is where Plant says something like "The man who said he could always go back to laying bricks and we all agreed".  I'm thinking there may already be a similar thread about this. 

1 hour ago, badgeholder said:

Oh man, so many good ones. I'll have to do some listening, but one that pops into my mind is where Plant says something like "The man who said he could always go back to laying bricks and we all agreed".  I'm thinking there may already be a similar thread about this. 

Yeah, that's from 6/21/77.  "The man who said he could go back to a building site anytime, and we all agreed".

My bad if there's already a thread like this.  I know there's one about favourite Plantations, but I wanted it to be specific to the Moby Dick intros.

some I recently  rediscovered

And now we bring you the most exciting thing you are likely to experience in the next ten minutes. (or something to that effect)

the finest percussionist. . . that led Zeppelin has ever had!

A man who keeps getting better and better and better.  I've known him 10 years and he just keeps getting better, and better, and better.

And of course this classic:

a man who keeps Budweiser, . . . going strong  - Plant's delivery of this one is great they way he pauses for effect and the way he says "going strong".  Perfect 

"Thank you. Thank you very much..... We've been together now over 5 years and have come to America a total of 10 times and the English tax people are quite pleased about this cuz they're ripping us off terrible.  We've decided to live somewhere in between America and England and it's pretty wet, but we're going to have to do it. But every time we've come here we always manage to feature one of our favorite members of the group... A rather fat chubby happy fellow... full of shit and speed.  (LAUGHTER) I'm not talking about the Drag Queen from New Orleans, I'm talking about John Henry Bonham. 'Moby Dick'".

Mobile, 5/13/73

I haven't watched enough bootleg recordings to contribute adequately but I must say this thread is amazing! I found Bonzo_fan's quote particularly hysterical: introducing bonzo as "...the most gentle man in rock music today" is my favourite part.

Besides 6/21/77, I love Plant's intro on 3/19/75:

"Good Evening. Oh, Who's a lucky girl? Jimmy scores a nice little thing for his neck. All I get is a pencil. Perhaps it's because its lead. Hey. Alright you lucky guys and gals. Ladies and gentlemen, a very serious part of the night has now arrived , where I nip off to the dressing room to get a blowjob. We'd now like to feature ah, how coarse, how coarse these English people can be, as England sinks into the British channel, here we are in North America. Right Vancouver, we give you an experience you'll never forget, more stunning than Lysergic Acid Diethylamide titrate, a man over there has just had diarrhea. Ladies and gentlemen, the man with only two cavities, John Bonham. Moby Dick."

:hysterical:

18 hours ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

From Cleveland 1977 - A man who manages to wash my hair with 7UP; John Bonham Over The Top, Top, Top........

"A childhood friend... sweet baby. Always been the lover boy of the band. Well coming in at 120 lbs, John bonham over the top, top, top, top, top, top..."

love this one.

Was it in '75 when Plant referred to Bonham on occasion as "The king of Jazz"? What the hell was all that about? :lol:

Another one, also from Baton Rouge '75, I believe: "The greatest percussionist since Big Ben!"

"As you can ah, thank you very much, by the way, as you can no doubt tell by the movement on the snare drum there, it's now time to have a look at a badgholder. Can we have a look at a badgeholder? There she is. There's Bonzo's badgeholder over ther on the left of the stage. A big round of applause for Bonzo's badgeholder. Fantastic. Wearing a blue suit. So here you are John, and your diamond studded, shut up, diamond studded badge holding time. John Bonham Over the Top."

LA 6/23/77

I also like Plant's intro of JHB before Ten Years Gone: " This is a song that ah, it's really about the first love that you ever come across. A love that you leave behind, and then you come, shut up. The love that you leave behind, and then when it's too late you try and grab it and it's gone. This is John two Bonhams Looney Bonahm/ Ten Years Bonham." As John adds drum fills to punctuate what Robert's saying.  Classic!

Archived