Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
luvlz2

Record Store Day 2017

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

From a 10' marble vinyl of Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes to a 7' vinyl of Jimmy Page & John Paul Jones backing up Beverly Martyn some nice collectables for the Jimmy Page enthusiast this RSD and John Paul Jones too. As well as other limited edition vinyl picture discs, colored vinyls, etched vinyls, rare releases, etc. from other different artists. I could spend a lot of money on all these great releases, but my budget is limited to around $100, so I will try to get the ones I want the most. Definitely going early. Good luck to everyone who is participating this year!

Edited by luvlz2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People wait outside the shop i go to in Bolton, X-Records from like 5am for this event every year. I am sticking to cds myself. So i will not be involved. Vinyl really is on the comeback trail right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For sure I will be picking up the New Black Angels album. Hopefully they will have the limited release glow in the dark vinyl...lol...if so, I suppose I'll need to pick up a black light as well.  The Page / Crowes album is in my sights also. ..come to think of it, I may run over to my record store and see if they are getting any in. Hope it's under $25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have kind of killed the golden goose and taken the fun out of it, in my opinion. For one thing, instead of browsing through the record shop bins and mingling with fellow enthusiasts and music fans, Record Store Day now consists of getting up at the crack of dawn and going to whichever record shop you decide to go to and wait in a long-ass line for hours until the shop opens and pray that hopefully by the time you get inside, they still have the special release you wanted. If they don't, you either settle for something else or try to make it to another record shop before they sell out.

And if you are going to Amoeba, good luck...the line gets up into the thousands. One year I was in line for four hours in the hot sun...my first three choices were all sold out but I did score the Jimmy Page & Black Crowes White Vinyl ($35) and a Yardbirds 7".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly, Record Store Day is an event that is largely concentrated in the city of Mumbai! *Sigh! <_<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

 

On 4/15/2017 at 10:03 AM, Strider said:

They have kind of killed the golden goose and taken the fun out of it, in my opinion. For one thing, instead of browsing through the record shop bins and mingling with fellow enthusiasts and music fans, Record Store Day now consists of getting up at the crack of dawn and going to whichever record shop you decide to go to and wait in a long-ass line for hours until the shop opens and pray that hopefully by the time you get inside, they still have the special release you wanted. If they don't, you either settle for something else or try to make it to another record shop before they sell out.

And if you are going to Amoeba, good luck...the line gets up into the thousands. One year I was in line for four hours in the hot sun...my first three choices were all sold out but I did score the Jimmy Page & Black Crowes White Vinyl ($35) and a Yardbirds 7".

I agree. Depending on the area It can be a little dangerous too which concerns me, especially if you are in line during the wee hours of the night. That's just asking for trouble.  That's what I did when the red, white and blue 'Live at the Greek" album from Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes was a part of RSD. If I remember correctly I got there at 2 am, and I think I was alone until about 4:45 am. Once other people arrived it became fun though. I plan to do this scenario again this coming RSD. If it were not for the Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes RSD vinyls I would not have gone to such extremes last time or this time. Lol. But I would be quite discouraged myself about doing it if I were going to a place as busy as Amoeba Records as you described.

 

One thing I did was tell the record store I would be in line during the wee hours, and told them maybe they should tell the authorities that there would be people waiting on their property during the wee hours, which I don't think they had even considered.

My wish list:

1. Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes - Live at Jones Beach

2. Beverly Martin - Picking up the sunshine 7'

3. Rush - Cygnus X-1 Audiophile pressing

4. Pink Floyd - London 1966-1977 12' Picture Disc

5. Pink Floyd - Interstellar Overdrive

6. The Cars - Live at the Agora

7. "Lost in Space: Title themes from Irwin Allen TV Series" 12' Picture disc (with the robot!)

8. George Carlin - Jammin in New York

 

Edited by luvlz2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 4/15/2017 at 7:51 AM, zepscoda said:

For sure I will be picking up the New Black Angels album. Hopefully they will have the limited release glow in the dark vinyl...lol...if so, I suppose I'll need to pick up a black light as well.  The Page / Crowes album is in my sights also. ..come to think of it, I may run over to my record store and see if they are getting any in. Hope it's under $25

Best of luck zepscoda! I seen a picture of the album; a glow in the dark vinyl with a black light album cover! That is really cool! I seriously doubt the Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes would be above $20 since it only has 3 songs...

Edited by luvlz2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Getting psyched! Counting the hours!

Edited by luvlz2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to work Saturday so it's a moot point with me. I'll just have to see what's left by Saturday night or Sunday morning. Last year I lucked out and was still able to get The Stooges Live at Iguana's vinyl, Robert Plant live vinyl, and some others that were still available Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me and Paige hit the record store this morning 

20170422_110841.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

totally sold out of Jimmy & the Crowes up by me. May have to go down to Dallas at Josey Records. The guy behind me in line said he saw a few down there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

58fbbc7125e6f_RecordStoreDay2017.thumb.jpg.7860165bed63eeb5732a3711a03f8890.jpg Me at the front of the line around 4 am.DSCF0041.JPG.254a92617cca908b6aeae347da472d6f.JPG

 

I arrived at my local Zia Records at 2:30 am and the second person arrived at 3:30 am and we talked it up about music. it was fun talking with other music enthusiasts as well when they arrived. They had free sodas and donuts for people in line. Also some musical guests but I did not stay for them. I could not get everything I had in my hand. Had to put back the "lost in space" picture disc and a pink floyd picture disc. I got The Cars live at the Agora 1978, Pink Floyd- Interstellar Overdrive, a rare recording, an audiiophile pressing of Rush's Cygnus X-1 and Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes live at Jones Beach. I got a RSD drinking glass and t-shirt. Also got another complimentary RSD drinking glass and t-shirt and some stickers and cds and a poster.

 

DSCF0049.JPG.cd17a3cd8ae28ecca7b456c4c2555f67.JPG

 

Edited by luvlz2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

58fbbc7125e6f_RecordStoreDay2017.thumb.jpg.7860165bed63eeb5732a3711a03f8890.jpg Me at the front of the line around 4 am.DSCF0041.JPG.254a92617cca908b6aeae347da472d6f.JPG

 

I arrived at my local Zia Records at 2:30 am and the second person arrived at 3:30 am and we talked it up about music. it was fun talking with other music enthusiasts as well when they arrived. They had free sodas and donuts for people in line. Also some musical guests but I did not stay for them. I could not get everything I had in my hand. Had to put back the "lost in space" picture disc and a pink floyd picture disc. I got The Cars live at the Agora 1978, Pink Floyd- Interstellar Overdrive, a rare recording, an audiiophile pressing of Rush's Cygnus X-1 and Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes live at Jones Beach. I got a RSD drinking glass and t-shirt. Also got another complimentary RSD drinking glass and t-shirt and some stickers and cds and a poster.

 

DSCF0049.JPG.cd17a3cd8ae28ecca7b456c4c2555f67.JPG

 

Very nice ! Most of the talk on the line I was on was Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive,  the Alice in Chains, Prince and Bowie releases .  How's the Rush Cygnus X-1 sound?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, zepscoda said:

Very nice ! Most of the talk on the line I was on was Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive,  the Alice in Chains, Prince and Bowie releases .  How's the Rush Cygnus X-1 sound?

That's the only one I haven't listened to yet. I will listen to it today. I listened to the Interstellar Overdrive yesterday, it's a one sided vinyl, but it's mono. With a mono recording, you want a stereo that will play in mono to experience the sound the best I believe. I have to check my stereo settings and see if I have a setting for that so I can compare it better. I don't think many stereos have these settings anymore. It did come with a nice poster and postcard.

Edited by luvlz2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, zepscoda said:

How's the Rush Cygnus X-1 sound?

Nice, heavy vinyl. Sounds very good! Probably the nicest thing I got! Rush does this kind of stuff right for RSD!

 

DSCF0061.JPG.eb3aa49d8e5e2f982cf21b5955e6675a.JPG

DSCF0056.thumb.JPG.e7fd67d2b6417564bd31533ae0cc7cf9.JPG

DSCF0062.JPG.c6132a027acb901f25d8a145f605d861.JPG

DSCF0070.thumb.JPG.824098a49bba1fe155ed10ded1d45bcd.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, luvlz2 said:

Nice, heavy vinyl. Sounds very good! Probably the nicest thing I got! Rush does this kind of stuff right for RSD!

 

DSCF0061.JPG.eb3aa49d8e5e2f982cf21b5955e6675a.JPG

DSCF0056.thumb.JPG.e7fd67d2b6417564bd31533ae0cc7cf9.JPG

DSCF0062.JPG.c6132a027acb901f25d8a145f605d861.JPG

DSCF0070.thumb.JPG.824098a49bba1fe155ed10ded1d45bcd.JPG

Very cool !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's one pic, I'll post the others on the Black Angels thread...

20170423_211956.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweet photos, gentlemen. Is that the glow in the dark Black Angels, zepscoda?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Strider said:

Sweet photos, gentlemen. Is that the glow in the dark Black Angels, zepscoda?

Yes it is :banana:

Also picked up copies of The Principle of Moments and Raising Sand ... my daughter demanded we get Rasing Sand ..lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0