Just got Hacked. for first time ever!!!! Some advice

LedZeppfan1977

Someone tried to buy a drink in California with a credit card I use only online.  The bank caught it by the location and did not approve the transaction. When trying to buy the Daily Racing Form online which I do on a regular basis it was declined and I called Credit services and got the news.  For some reason they did not have the expiration date.  So that means they either got the number off a website, which I suspect, or just plugged the number in at random-possible.  They are investigating.  I suggest you do the following.  I assume you all know this but if you do not, here is some good free advice.   Use only ONE CREDIT CARD for all your online business and purchases, and make sure its a debit and no line of credit on it.   That way if they ever get you and your bank is a lenient one, the worst that can happen is they will get whatever money you have at that time.  So keep in there only what you need.  Do not put your life savings in it.  Your account with the routing number linked to the card is a seperate set of numbers  They canceled the card and are fed exing me a new one.  

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Someone tried to buy a drink in California with a credit card I use only online.  The bank caught it by the location and did not approve the transaction. When trying to buy the Daily Racing Form online which I do on a regular basis it was declined and I called Credit services and got the news.  For some reason they did not have the expiration date.  So that means they either got the number off a website, which I suspect, or just plugged the number in at random-possible.  They are investigating.  I suggest you do the following.  I assume you all know this but if you do not, here is some good free advice.   Use only ONE CREDIT CARD for all your online business and purchases, and make sure its a debit and no line of credit on it.   That way if they ever get you and your bank is a lenient one, the worst that can happen is they will get whatever money you have at that time.  So keep in there only what you need.  Do not put your life savings in it.  Your account with the routing number linked to the card is a seperate set of numbers  They canceled the card and are fed exing me a new one.  

Sorry to hear that my friend, here is some advice for all to prevent such shenanigans in the future:

Only use on-line banking and only purchase on-line from a secure connection. Never use those free non-secure wi-fi locations like coffee shops and book stores have. Anyone with a wee bit of knowledge can easily hack your system if you use an un-secure network and download all your info such as credit card numbers, bank accounts, etc. Also, just don't log on to an unsecured network for any reason as it is very likely at least one person within eyesight is a hacker waiting for the unsuspected to log on.

Second, another great idea is to use a VPN (virtual private network). You can subscribe to these for about $8.50 a month. I would suggest either ExpressVPN or Hide-My-ASS VPN. BONUS: not only will these services make you hack immune to anything short of either a DoD level hacker or your typical North Korean twat, but ALL your data is secure and you will not receive those annoying pop-up ads either. What a VPN does is bounce your connection all over the globe so even though you are logging in from NY it will show up as an IP address from Singapore or whatever else location you so choose. Believe me, these baby's are worth every penny and you will never have a problem again. 

Ps. Even with a VPN do not log into an insecure network connection...that's bad, really bad..um-kayyyyy.

The World is full of dodgy people. I am probably ott in the way i protect my money and my identity. So i think i should be safe from becoming a victim. But you just never know. The said dodgy people are always doing new things. Have to watch out BIG TIME.

33 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Sorry to hear that my friend, here is some advice for all to prevent such shenanigans in the future:

Only use on-line banking and only purchase on-line from a secure connection. Never use those free non-secure wi-fi locations like coffee shops and book stores have. Anyone with a wee bit of knowledge can easily hack your system if you use an un-secure network and download all your info such as credit card numbers, bank accounts, etc. Also, just don't log on to an unsecured network for any reason as it is very likely at least one person within eyesight is a hacker waiting for the unsuspected to log on.

Second, another great idea is to use a VPN (virtual private network). You can subscribe to these for about $8.50 a month. I would suggest either ExpressVPN or Hide-My-ASS VPN. BONUS: not only will these services make you hack immune to anything short of either a DoD level hacker or your typical North Korean twat, but ALL your data is secure and you will not receive those annoying pop-up ads either. What a VPN does is bounce your connection all over the globe so even though you are logging in from NY it will show up as an IP address from Singapore or whatever else location you so choose. Believe me, these baby's are worth every penny and you will never have a problem again. 

Ps. Even with a VPN do not log into an insecure network connection...that's bad, really bad..um-kayyyyy.

I take your advice is good.  But if you choose to do some of things I do, there is no choice in taking some amount of risk.  I will put my cards on the table.  Its no secret I gamble. So to gamble, you cannot do it in the USA. You must use off shore accounts.  That is the likely source of this hack as my buddy and his friend were hit and they got nailed because they use green dot.  I have a reputable bank that sniffs out anything fishy.  Like  a location far away.  That is why a debit with a limited amount of cash, means they can only get what is  there.  They are not going to be able to access my other accounts from that one card

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I take your advice is good.  But if you choose to do some of things I do, there is no choice in taking some amount of risk.  I will put my cards on the table.  Its no secret I gamble. So to gamble, you cannot do it in the USA. You must use off shore accounts.  That is the likely source of this hack as my buddy and his friend were hit and they got nailed because they use green dot.  I have a reputable bank that sniffs out anything fishy.  Like  a location far away.  That is why a debit with a limited amount of cash, means they can only get what is  there.  They are not going to be able to access my other accounts from that one card

Is there a way you can use a PayPal account to purchase bitcoin and use bitcoin to gamble with? That should help with security but the big question is do the on-line gambling houses take bitcoin?

They tried that shit with me on my debit card. They were 1200 miles away trying to rent a room. It had to be random. Pricks. My credit union put the kabosh on them. I still had to get a new card, though.

6 hours ago, IpMan said:

Is there a way you can use a PayPal account to purchase bitcoin and use bitcoin to gamble with? That should help with security but the big question is do the on-line gambling houses take bitcoin?

Not sure but I have  pay pal account but have rarely used it

2 hours ago, redrum said:

They tried that shit with me on my debit card. They were 1200 miles away trying to rent a room. It had to be random. Pricks. My credit union put the kabosh on them. I still had to get a new card, though.

Yes it sucks.  Technology rules this world now. 

Archived