Your guitar of choice.

Dane1968

You get the old line of 'If money was no object, what would you choose?' Obviously you would search for a priceless treasure. For most people money is an object of concern, however.

I am a pretty ordinary player, I just play rhythm, by choice. My preferences would be:

Les Paul. With humbuckers gives you a nice fat warm sound. P90's are dirtier but have more clarity. The body shape is very playable. The neck joint is a bit awkward, and they can be weighty. Cost a fortune.

Firebird. The most comfortable body to play, but they are neck heavy. Has a real metallic dirty sound, but still bright. People either love 'em or hate 'em. Reasonable cost.

Telecaster. A lot of Fender players choose a Strat, but I think a Tele sounds a bit meatier, and the volume knob is not in the way. I have no use for a tremolo. Reasonable cost.

Everyone has their own preferences, and if it works for you then what more do you want.

That's a tough one as I use a variety of guitars depending on what I want to achieve. My #1 guitar I use is my Tele followed by my LP. I also use a PRS Custom 24 quite a bit as it is by far the easiest and most comfortable guitar to play except the neck is too narrow between the nut and the third fret so I never use it for any tune which requires much rhythm work or tunes which require chording at those frets.

TBH I would like to go to a luthier and have a guitar custom made for what I like and how I play more than anything. Likely a semi-hollow body design based on the shape of the PRS Custom but with a locking trem vs. the shitty standard trem which they slap on them. Coil splitting humbuckers with push / pull pots and a switching option which allows the PU to be put out of phase.

You see my problem is I love me the style and tone of Jimi Hendrix, Lindsay Buckingham, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, and David Gilmour more than any other guitarists. A rather broad spectrum of which no one guitar will work across the board.

Unlike you guys I'm left handed - and a Gibson Les Paul for me was just way to expensive and a left handed one difficult to find and so on. A great alternative is a left handed Epiphone. In fact you can make a carbon copy of a Black Beauty using an Epiphone and no one but the most hardcore players will really know the difference. And I love the sound of a tremolo on an Epiphone. I have been working on this idea for years because I once followed a band because of a particular player around for a bunch of gigs when I was a kid one summer.

i also think way to many guitar players have forgotten how unique and fun a Rickenbaker is. It's the sound of wind chimes through a 6 string. That's my next idea whenever I find the time and so on.

lastly people have forgotten about Gretsch which has some really cool sound about it

21 hours ago, Clinton P. Desveaux said:

Unlike you guys I'm left handed - and a Gibson Les Paul for me was just way to expensive and a left handed one difficult to find and so on. A great alternative is a left handed Epiphone. In fact you can make a carbon copy of a Black Beauty using an Epiphone and no one but the most hardcore players will really know the difference. And I love the sound of a tremolo on an Epiphone. I have been working on this idea for years because I once followed a band because of a particular player around for a bunch of gigs when I was a kid one summer.

i also think way to many guitar players have forgotten how unique and fun a Rickenbaker is. It's the sound of wind chimes through a 6 string. That's my next idea whenever I find the time and so on.

lastly people have forgotten about Gretsch which has some really cool sound about it

The Rick has a very unique and beautiful tone, they are also expensive as hell. Not really a very good rock guitar IMO as the tone is just too jangly and light but still a very beautiful tone none the less.

Gretsch is also a great guitar. Their hollow-body guitars are legendary and I would love to gave one. The best overall tone of any guitar is the Gibson Birdland, I really love the hell out of those guitars. The tone Ted Nugent gets from his is just fantastic.

Lindsay Buckingham is F'n great. Rarely gets get regarded as a player, just part of the band.

Epiphone guitars are good value if you can't afford the real deal. A few mods for a couple of hundred dollars and you're set.  Around 50% or more of all players are realistically bedroom players and don't have the cash or need for a $5000 plus Les Paul. Still, I wouldn't mind...

A nice Greco or Burny Japanese model are top notch without the price tag.

Can anyone find a pic of English comedian Bill Baily with his 8 neck or whatever guitar... Now that is a guitar to save up for. And a pleasure for your guitar tech to set up and re-string every night.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I always wanted an Ibanez Satch model but was too stingy to make the purchase. The older I get the more I like the Gibson Vintage/Tobacco burst finishes, on both a Les Paul and SG. I'd love a nice honeyburst as well. Although I'm a fan of Gibson, any Heritage Cherry burst guitar makes me wanna puke. Can't stand them for some reason.

I am beginning to consider a Gibson Flying V. That tone Jimmy has on You Shook Me is goddamned brutal. The only time he used one in the studio and it makes me wonder why he did not use one live or in the studio ever again. 

Just love that tone, I wonder what amp he used, and setup in general for that song.

21 hours ago, IpMan said:

I am beginning to consider a Gibson Flying V. That tone Jimmy has on You Shook Me is goddamned brutal. The only time he used one in the studio and it makes me wonder why he did not use one live or in the studio ever again. 

Just love that tone, I wonder what amp he used, and setup in general for that song.

ikr, i had no idea it was a flying v, makes me wanna buy one!

• 6 months later...

Archived