1977 North American Tour - 40th Anniversary

ZepHead315

10 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

Happy 40th Destroyer! Was anyone here at this show? Have any memories of this show, or even just of getting this recording back in the day?

I think this probably got a great deal of Led Zeppelin fans into buying bootlegs. Probably is the most common among circles to have and being the start of collections.

Image result for Destroyer led zeppelin

Fantastic artwork.

On April 28, 2017 at 9:06 AM, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Here's a few

Image result

I'm gonna guess... Its after "do I look the same", Jimmy goes for that little high chord doodle, before Robert wails "Hey baby!". Then to the Sick Again chorus. Best Zeppelin photo there ever was. Period.

1 hour ago, Dirty Work said:

I'm gonna guess... Its after "do I look the same", Jimmy goes for that little high chord doodle, before Robert wails "Hey baby!". Then to the Sick Again chorus. Best Zeppelin photo there ever was. Period.

Great photo but I'm not a fan of that fucking hat. I think he only wore it for part of the show and never again on stage , far as I know. Wonder if someone said, lose the Nazi cap. Or if he just realized , maybe this outfit isn't in such good taste. 

On 4/30/2017 at 4:15 AM, Bong-Man said:

40 years ago today I saw the greatest band in the world !  :thumbsup:

You saw a great show. One of the stellar nights of the 1977 tour...and a World Record Breaker to boot!

On 5/5/2017 at 10:50 PM, porgie66 said:

Great photo but I'm not a fan of that fucking hat. I think he only wore it for part of the show and never again on stage , far as I know. Wonder if someone said, lose the Nazi cap. Or if he just realized , maybe this outfit isn't in such good taste. 

I was at the show and he ditched the SS hat for the white fedora after SIBLY if memory serves.

What was really messed up about Jimmy's attire that night is that the American Nazi's case regarding free assembly (they wanted to match in Skokie, IL in 1977) was in front of the US Supreme Court. So, when Zeppelin came to town the whole city was pretty much in anti-Nazi fervor and were disgusted that the Neo-Nazi's wanted to martch in the predominantly Jewish Chicago suburb of Skokie which had a very large population of European Jews who survived the death camps.

I give Jimmy a pass because for one, he is British and most people outside of the Chicago area likely were not aware of the situation. Also, Jimmy was so far gone in 77' that Rudolph Hess could have escaped from Spandau Prison and been working as his guitar tech and Jimmy would have had no clue.

The fact is Jimmy was a big fan of the movie The Night Porter and his costume was a tribute to the movie. It was bad timing of course, then again when is it ever good timing to wear an SS cap? See, this is why smack is bad...you want to have fun, dress up like a Nazi and...whoops.

On April 14, 2017 at 1:32 PM, Bonzo_fan said:

Also one of the best (post-'71 at least) Stairway's--no "does anyone remember laughter?" and Jimmy jumps straight into the solo after the fanfare without staying on the 12-string for the extra bar or two like usual.  An incredibly fluid and focused solo, I might add, and one which actually keeps gaining momentum right through the transition back to the final verse!

Good call. Never noticed that.

And yeah, I have a Tiger 2 as my avatar, but I thought Jimmy wore it because he didn't have anything else, and wanted something, well, that a rock god would wear. Besides, I doubt many people realized what it was live, and the hat emblem is the size of a quarter. From afar, the outfit just looks cool to me. Doesn't look like a nazi. Just like a guitar god.

Could be mistaken for the swan song logo. :lol:

I know it can be misconstrued & was probably ill-advised given the information IPMan has posted above but it's kind of traditional British humour to send up the Nazis, dressing up as one doesn't really mean you share their ideology, it's more of a pisstake than anything else. Plenty of people have done it from Spike Milligan to Keith Moon.

I wouldn't wear the hat personally but at the same time, I don't think it was intended to offend, thousands upon thousands of British people were killed by the Nazis too.

I wonder why he took it off during the set, I don't suppose we'll ever find out.

Page still looked like a bad ass motherfucker in that fedora though (as my avatar shows)

He ditched the whole outfit and changed into the Dragon Suit during Bonham's drum solo, didn't he?

9 hours ago, Dirty Work said:

Good call. Never noticed that.

And yeah, I have a Tiger 2 as my avatar, but I thought Jimmy wore it because he didn't have anything else, and wanted something, well, that a rock god would wear. Besides, I doubt many people realized what it was live, and the hat emblem is the size of a quarter. From afar, the outfit just looks cool to me. Doesn't look like a nazi. Just like a guitar god.

Could be mistaken for the swan song logo. :lol:

Spot on buddy. No one at the show, that I remember, commented either during or after the gig that Jimmy wore an SS cap. Everyone thought he was wearing riding boots and a "military style" cap. No one knew (to my remembrance), that Jimmy even had an SS cap on likely due to your explanation...the emblem is just too small to see unless you were front row, plus, everyone except for me, my brother, and likely a handful of others were stoned as well. I believe it did not become public knowledge until AFTER close up Jimmy pictures from the gig appeared in media. Thank god it was the pre-digital age because with what was going on in Skokie at the time the media would have went after Page with a vengeance plus social media where everything is outrage.

TMK, this was the only time Jimmy pulled a Madonna live, whereby he switched from the SS cap to the fedora to the white dragon suit during one show.

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

TMK, this was the only time Jimmy pulled a Madonna live, whereby he switched from the SS cap to the fedora to the white dragon suit during one show.

Didn't he switch outfits during the June 22nd show, where he had the black dragon suit and then switched out of it ("Mr. Page's pants are falling down!") into the white dragon suit? Of course, there he at least had a good excuse.

I'm wondering if he picked the Stormtrooper outfit, in part, to make up for the night before when he fell ill. Perhaps he wanted to wear something striking and provocative in order to draw more attention to himself, since he knew he was fucked up the previous night? That way the audience (stoned as they undoubtedly were) would be like "Wow! What is Page wearing? Holy shit, he looks and sounds badass tonight!" It's especially interesting since he never wore the outfit again, right?

10 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

Didn't he switch outfits during the June 22nd show, where he had the black dragon suit and then switched out of it ("Mr. Page's pants are falling down!") into the white dragon suit? Of course, there he at least had a good excuse.

I'm wondering if he picked the Stormtrooper outfit, in part, to make up for the night before when he fell ill. Perhaps he wanted to wear something striking and provocative in order to draw more attention to himself, since he knew he was fucked up the previous night? That way the audience (stoned as they undoubtedly were) would be like "Wow! What is Page wearing? Holy shit, he looks and sounds badass tonight!" It's especially interesting since he never wore the outfit again, right?

He wore the boots again when he did the first tour with the Firm. What happened to the cap...a mystery.

Makes sense about the black dragon suit since they were from the 75' tour when Page was of a healthy weight and the belt would only go so tight. The white suit was made for the 77' tour and thus more fitting to Page's new, smack inspired frame.

On 5/10/2017 at 1:01 AM, IpMan said:

I was at the show and he ditched the SS hat for the white fedora after SIBLY if memory serves.

What was really messed up about Jimmy's attire that night is that the American Nazi's case regarding free assembly (they wanted to match in Skokie, IL in 1977) was in front of the US Supreme Court. So, when Zeppelin came to town the whole city was pretty much in anti-Nazi fervor and were disgusted that the Neo-Nazi's wanted to martch in the predominantly Jewish Chicago suburb of Skokie which had a very large population of European Jews who survived the death camps.

I give Jimmy a pass because for one, he is British and most people outside of the Chicago area likely were not aware of the situation. Also, Jimmy was so far gone in 77' that Rudolph Hess could have escaped from Spandau Prison and been working as his guitar tech and Jimmy would have had no clue.

The fact is Jimmy was a big fan of the movie The Night Porter and his costume was a tribute to the movie. It was bad timing of course, then again when is it ever good timing to wear an SS cap? See, this is why smack is bad...you want to have fun, dress up like a Nazi and...whoops.

B)  This is funny.  Reminds me of this classic scene....

On 5/6/2017 at 0:18 AM, Dirty Work said:

I'm gonna disagree on your guess.  I think this is the "ah ah aha" at the end.   Jimmy's hands are in right spot for that guitar lick.  

On 2017-05-10 at 1:42 PM, ZepHead315 said:

You are correct! There's even footage of it. 

9 hours ago, porgie66 said:

B)  This is funny.  Reminds me of this classic scene....

Oh hell yes! I love the Blues Brothers and that scene is epic.

Anyone gonna bust out Birmingham today? I've never heard the show myself, so I'm looking forward to hearing it as I've heard great things. Question: which version should I go for? I've heard praise for TDOLZ's "Out Of The Way", but I've also heard praise for a previously uncirculated alternate source taped by "Jon Meacham's brother and a couple of friends". Which is the better source in terms of sound quality? Thanks in advance!

19 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

Anyone gonna bust out Birmingham today? I've never heard the show myself, so I'm looking forward to hearing it as I've heard great things. Question: which version should I go for? I've heard praise for TDOLZ's "Out Of The Way", but I've also heard praise for a previously uncirculated alternate source taped by "Jon Meacham's brother and a couple of friends". Which is the better source in terms of sound quality? Thanks in advance!

Out Of The Way is the best sounding of the three Birmingham recordings. The Meacham source IMO is second best, in spite of its flaws (and I say that not simply because I'm the guy who cleaned up the sound and shared it out initially). The Dixie source is third by default simply because it's such a distant sounding recording (taped by the same guy who did the Oklahoma City show, probably from the same nosebleed-type seats)

You've never heard Birmingham? It's awesome, damn good show- not sloppy, not self indulgent, just three hours of Zeppelin doing what they do best.

On 5/19/2017 at 2:18 AM, Nutrocker said:

Out Of The Way is the best sounding of the three Birmingham recordings.

Hi NR:) Ive only heard one version of Birmingham and it stunk (recording wise, not the band). . When it comes to lousy recordings, like Seattle 72 for instance, its hard for me to believe that someone can make it much better if they only have the one crappy recording. . Is there some kind of technique to polishing a turd? How can one make a bad recording even better if it already sucks?

THX 

Archived