1977 North American Tour - 40th Anniversary

ZepHead315

1 hour ago, Bozoso73 said:

Hi NR:) Ive only heard one version of Birmingham and it stunk (recording wise, not the band). . When it comes to lousy recordings, like Seattle 72 for instance, its hard for me to believe that someone can make it much better if they only have the one crappy recording. . Is there some kind of technique to polishing a turd? How can one make a bad recording even better if it already sucks?

THX 

Yes, you can polish a turd:

15 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

Hi NR:) Ive only heard one version of Birmingham and it stunk (recording wise, not the band). . When it comes to lousy recordings, like Seattle 72 for instance, its hard for me to believe that someone can make it much better if they only have the one crappy recording. . Is there some kind of technique to polishing a turd? How can one make a bad recording even better if it already sucks?

THX 

Some recordings are beyond help...Atlanta '77 for example. Cleaning up the sound on a crappy audience recording can be very time consuming, takes a lot of patience. EQ, noise filters...you need a program like Sound Forge or Audacity and even then it can be a coin toss.

On 5/19/2017 at 4:07 AM, geisha78 said:

What about tonight? Anyone gonna bust out freezers tape?.. :mad:  :rolleyes:

On 5/21/2017 at 10:14 PM, Nutrocker said:

If I had it, definitely would have!

Same here. But my freezer is empty.

On 5/22/2017 at 10:37 PM, Nutrocker said:

Some recordings are beyond help...Atlanta '77 for example. Cleaning up the sound on a crappy audience recording can be very time consuming, takes a lot of patience. EQ, noise filters...you need a program like Sound Forge or Audacity and even then it can be a coin toss.

So what's the worst-sounding tape you have polished up, Nutrocker?

2 hours ago, Strider said:

So what's the worst-sounding tape you have polished up, Nutrocker?

Probably Pontiac. And that wasn't easy but it was worth it in the end 'cos it ended up sounding like a completely different recording (in a good way, of course). IMO recordings like Atlanta or April 10 Chicago are beyond hope, unfortunately. 

Mind ya, that third Birmingham source I worked on was a bit of fun, between doing all the patching and cleaning up the sound. Turned out pretty well, I think.

^^^Hmmm, would you like to work on my tapes? I need someone who knows what they are doing and someone I can trust. You seem to fit the bill. I'd ask Sue but her plate already seems overloaded.

Ahhhh...so it's now the 40th anniversary of the Landover, Maryland shows and I am dutifully slogging thru May 25 and 26 right now. As is the band.

Actually, the band is pretty on form for most of the 25th. It's the show on the 26th that is dismal and dull compared to the best of '77. Bonham really seems out of it..."In My Time of Dying" never gets going and the "Achilles" is infamous by now.

The sludgy sound of the '77 soundboards doesn't help matters, making the band sound worse than they did to the audience that was there. Maybe someone forgot to clean the tapeheads on the deck Showco used to record the board tapes. The tapes don't capture Jimmy's guitar correctly...especially the 12-string double-neck and the Danelectro. You can barely tell he is playing slide on "In My Time of Dying". Compare the IMTODs from the '75 boards to the '77 boards. Night and day...they sound like two completely different guitars. The same thing happens when you compare "The Song Remains the Same". True confession: I have never heard any of the audience tapes from Landover, save the brief patches used to fill in gaps on the soundboards. They never seem to be at the swaps and nobody has uploaded them on YouTube. It's always the soundboards.

All that said, it really matters not a whit to the people who were there. Unlike most soundboards, the sheer enthusiasm of the '77 Landover crowds shines through loud and clear. For whatever nitpicking we discern on the tapes 40 years later, the evidence is clear that the audience is having the time of their lives. They are enjoying the concert. 

That is what is important in the long run. Not what the soundboards sound like to us trainspotters in hindsight, or what bass rig Jonesy used or what notes were flubbed as Jimmy executed his electro-stagger jack-knife pirouette. No, the only important thing is that for three hours, Led Zeppelin gave Landover the night of their lives.

On 5/26/2017 at 3:04 PM, Strider said:

^^^Hmmm, would you like to work on my tapes? I need someone who knows what they are doing and someone I can trust. You seem to fit the bill. I'd ask Sue but her plate already seems overloaded.

Ahhhh...so it's now the 40th anniversary of the Landover, Maryland shows and I am dutifully slogging thru May 25 and 26 right now. As is the band.

Actually, the band is pretty on form for most of the 25th. It's the show on the 26th that is dismal and dull compared to the best of '77. Bonham really seems out of it..."In My Time of Dying" never gets going and the "Achilles" is infamous by now.

The sludgy sound of the '77 soundboards doesn't help matters, making the band sound worse than they did to the audience that was there. Maybe someone forgot to clean the tapeheads on the deck Showco used to record the board tapes. The tapes don't capture Jimmy's guitar correctly...especially the 12-string double-neck and the Danelectro. You can barely tell he is playing slide on "In My Time of Dying". Compare the IMTODs from the '75 boards to the '77 boards. Night and day...they sound like two completely different guitars. The same thing happens when you compare "The Song Remains the Same". True confession: I have never heard any of the audience tapes from Landover, save the brief patches used to fill in gaps on the soundboards. They never seem to be at the swaps and nobody has uploaded them on YouTube. It's always the soundboards.

All that said, it really matters not a whit to the people who were there. Unlike most soundboards, the sheer enthusiasm of the '77 Landover crowds shines through loud and clear. For whatever nitpicking we discern on the tapes 40 years later, the evidence is clear that the audience is having the time of their lives. They are enjoying the concert. 

That is what is important in the long run. Not what the soundboards sound like to us trainspotters in hindsight, or what bass rig Jonesy used or what notes were flubbed as Jimmy executed his electro-stagger jack-knife pirouette. No, the only important thing is that for three hours, Led Zeppelin gave Landover the night of their lives.

Tomorrow is the 40th anniversary, 40 years to the day since I saw Led Zeppelin on Memorial Day of 1977.  A day I will never forget, and one of the best days of my life.:thumbsup: 35bxa50.jpg

And the ticket cost me much much more than what is listed-scalped in Rochester NY, and a 12 hour bus ride

On 5/26/2017 at 1:04 PM, Strider said:

What tapes would those be, Strider?

On 5/19/2017 at 5:18 AM, Nutrocker said:

Out Of The Way is the best sounding of the three Birmingham recordings. The Meacham source IMO is second best, in spite of its flaws (and I say that not simply because I'm the guy who cleaned up the sound and shared it out initially). The Dixie source is third by default simply because it's such a distant sounding recording (taped by the same guy who did the Oklahoma City show, probably from the same nosebleed-type seats)

You've never heard Birmingham? It's awesome, damn good show- not sloppy, not self indulgent, just three hours of Zeppelin doing what they do best.

Just got done listening to Birmingham. That was a damn good show. Even the drum solo was spectacular! Even though the recording isn't perfect, it's very atmospheric. Just goes to show that the 77 tour was better than most people give it credit for.

On 5/28/2017 at 10:38 PM, Nutrocker said:

What tapes would those be, Strider?

Oh, just tapes from my taping days. At least the ones that weren't stolen or lost. I think at last count I had over 200. Mostly from the 1990s and 2000s. 

Page & Plant at Hollywood Bowl in 1998. Some Robert Plant solo and John Paul Jones solo. Can't remember if I still have John Paul Jones & Diamanda Galás. Lots of Sonic Youth, Radiohead, Sigur Rôs, Black Crowes, Stereolab, My Bloody Valentine, Jane's Addiction, L7, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Robyn Hitchcock, PJ Harvey, Jon Brion, Aimee Mann, Michael Penn, Sleater-Kinney, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sympathy of a Down, Super Furry Animals, Supergrass, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Brian Wilson, Bob Dylan, Merle Haggard, Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stones, White Stripes, Autolux, and more, including local acts that nobody would know or care about. All (or almost all) from concerts I attended in the L.A. area.

Obviously, there's a good chance many of these shows already have another source tape circulating around the community. But I have been putting this off too long and it would probably behoove me to get my tapes transferred to cd before they deteriorate.

ledzep-double-shot4.jpg.3e176b7d0775b01d77f51301fcae76f1.jpg

1.jpg.9552d381d7c82671028a5e91d1148317.jpg

Now that I have all four 1977 Landover shows fresh in my memory, I rank them thusly:

1. May 30. You caught a good one, Rick.

2. May 25. If only the soundboard wasn't so buried in mud and a bit clearer like the 30th.

3. May 28.

4. May 26. No need to ever listen to this again. Even if I want to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the 1977 tour.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

ledzep-double-shot4.jpg.3e176b7d0775b01d77f51301fcae76f1.jpg

1.jpg.9552d381d7c82671028a5e91d1148317.jpg

Now that I have all four 1977 Landover shows fresh in my memory, I rank them thusly:

2. May 25. If only the soundboard wasn't so buried in mud and a bit clearer like the 30th.

3. May 28.

4. May 26. No need to ever listen to this again. Even if I want to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the 1977 tour.

Agree 100%.

16 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

Just got done listening to Birmingham. That was a damn good show. Even the drum solo was spectacular! Even though the recording isn't perfect, it's very atmospheric. Just goes to show that the 77 tour was better than most people give it credit for.

Birmingham is probably one of the best gigs of the tour. Nothing fancy, no big overindulgences in the playing or anything, just a good, straightforward '77 show. So what the hell happened a week later once they hit Landover?

3 hours ago, Strider said:

3. May 28.

3 hours ago, Strider said:

Oh, just tapes from my taping days. At least the ones that weren't stolen or lost. I think at last count I had over 200. Mostly from the 1990s and 2000s. 

Page & Plant at Hollywood Bowl in 1998. Some Robert Plant solo and John Paul Jones solo. Can't remember if I still have John Paul Jones & Diamanda Galás. Lots of Sonic Youth, Radiohead, Sigur Rôs, Black Crowes, Stereolab, My Bloody Valentine, Jane's Addiction, L7, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Robyn Hitchcock, PJ Harvey, Jon Brion, Aimee Mann, Michael Penn, Sleater-Kinney, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sympathy of a Down, Super Furry Animals, Supergrass, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Brian Wilson, Bob Dylan, Merle Haggard, Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stones, White Stripes, Autolux, and more, including local acts that nobody would know or care about. All (or almost all) from concerts I attended in the L.A. area.

Obviously, there's a good chance many of these shows already have another source tape circulating around the community. But I have been putting this off too long and it would probably behoove me to get my tapes transferred to cd before they deteriorate.

Jesus, I had no idea you were a taper, let alone one that prolific! 

5/30/77 is the best soundboard 1977 has blessed us with yet. Yes, 1977 setlist wasn't meant to be technically perfect in parts. They went the full on visual and Jimmy Page bow solo "blow your minds" and of course it worked, every report I've heard from someone who saw them in 1977 was absolutely floored! And many set breaks, (cough) drum solo 5/26/77 :rolleyes:, but 1977 has some of the best live Zeppelin. Just have to find the best songs from the soundboards, and the best audience recordings show them at the pinnacle of their live career. Which is the LA '77 run. Mount Everest of live Zeppelin, they reached the summit there, they went downhill from there, made one last stand in 1979, and 1980... well I'm sorry but I don't like anything from 1980 live performances :unsure:

1977 live stuff is the best, its hit or miss, but we almost have enough soundboard from the year to make the perfect show cherry-picking from each show. And to me thats what counts. Represent a tour as best as possible in soundboard quality. Almost there folks, 5/30, 5/25 and 5/22 helped.

Most of my cherry-picked 1977 live show is from the 5/30 soundboard, save the 5/22 SIBLY, I like the 5/28 TYG, and the 5/21 Kashmir. Can't remember the rest. B)

Jimmy's solo during the 5/30/77 No Quarter, main solo, holy shit. And Jimmy's outro solo, change your boxers.

In honor of 1977 anniversary, I challenge you to give up listening to the 4/27/77 soundboard, because there are some serious live performances with near perfect quality that have been released since. And the soundboards from '77 sound better with each release. I'm sure the next soundboard after 3/21/75 will be from '77, heres to hoping its 5/31/77, NYC, or LA. (Not to mention 4/28, and a Pontiac soundboard)

Or I recommend you give 6/25/77 or 6/27/77 a serious serious listen. B);)

On 5/30/2017 at 6:49 PM, Strider said:

I dont own a copy of this simply because of the reviews on the forum and TYOLZ said it stunk. . Soo I have never heard it. . but what makes this show bad? The band? The recording? Both? Is someone sick (JP or JB)?

53 minutes ago, Bozoso73 said:

I dont own a copy of this simply because of the reviews on the forum and TYOLZ said it stunk. . Soo I have never heard it. . but what makes this show bad? The band? The recording? Both? Is someone sick (JP or JB)?

May 26, along with May 28 are the worst of the four Landover performances by a long shot. Off nights for both Page and Bonham. On the 26th Bonham is very erratic- he rushes things quite a bit, barely allowing JPJ to do his piano solo bit in "No Quarter" before starting in on the "Boogie Section", he comes in way early during Page's guitar intro to "Achilles" as well. And on top of that, both nights Bonham offers up thirty five minute plus drum solos: boring, repetitive solos that had no business being fifteen minutes, never mind 35! Generally speaking, IMO the May 28 show is marginally better than the 26th (Plant, at least is in good voice) but neither of these performances really have much in the way of redeeming qualities, especially when you consider the barnstorming gigs they were playing only a week before in Birmingham and Fort Worth (Houston is another disappointing performance and we still await hearing Baton Rouge at some point...hopefully) I can't remember the last time I played any of the Landover shows...

All four Landover shows are soundboard recordings; the May 26 and May 30 shows being the best sounding. The Landover audience tapes are bad- distant, muddy and not a very good listen (the May 30 AUD isn't bad, comparable to the April 28 audience tape for the most part). The Landover shows probably come across as being better on the audience tapes :lol: 

20 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

May 26, along with May 28 are the worst of the four Landover performances by a long shot. Off nights for both Page and Bonham. On the 26th Bonham is very erratic- he rushes things quite a bit, barely allowing JPJ to do his piano solo bit in "No Quarter" before starting in on the "Boogie Section", he comes in way early during Page's guitar intro to "Achilles" as well. And on top of that, both nights Bonham offers up thirty five minute plus drum solos: boring, repetitive solos that had no business being fifteen minutes, never mind 35! Generally speaking, IMO the May 28 show is marginally better than the 26th (Plant, at least is in good voice) but neither of these performances really have much in the way of redeeming qualities, especially when you consider the barnstorming gigs they were playing only a week before in Birmingham and Fort Worth (Houston is another disappointing performance and we still await hearing Baton Rouge at some point...hopefully) I can't remember the last time I played any of the Landover shows...

All four Landover shows are soundboard recordings; the May 26 and May 30 shows being the best sounding. The Landover audience tapes are bad- distant, muddy and not a very good listen (the May 30 AUD isn't bad, comparable to the April 28 audience tape for the most part). The Landover shows probably come across as being better on the audience tapes :lol: 

Yep. +1

^^^

And I think the band realized that the first three Landover shows weren't really up to snuff, which is why they actually gave a decent performance on the fourth night (which was added due to high ticket demand if memory serves). But, yeah, generally speaking the Landover gigs are the low point of the tour IMO.

On 6/14/2017 at 7:41 PM, ZepHead315 said:

The madness starts a week from today...anyone else going to do a listen of the entire LA run? Can't wait! B)

Indeed!  I spent the past week cranking out the MSG 77 run of shows.  As good as they were, LA was obviously the peak of the tour.  Those on the west coast who got to see it were very fortunate indeed.  I would even say "Hat's Off" to all those who attended any of the Forum 77 shows.  Such Magick.  One of my favorite moments is the Over the Hills solo on June 22.  As someone said in the YouTube comments, "Dude, that Page solo in OTHAFA was crispy."  I would say it was Jimmy's extra crispy recipe.  During the first part of the solo he gets into earth orbit, and then just when it is supposed to end, he blast off toward the far reaches of the galaxy, bending if not breaking the space time continuum.  Somehow Jones and Bonham keep up with him.   That solo for me epitomizes Jimmy in 1977.  

Archived