1972 and 1973 Shows

ZosoAddict

Forgive me if I have missed this in another thread

If this has been addressed, please direct me to the appropriate thread.

What 1972 and 1973 show stands out most to each of you?

I am interested in what each of think in regards to band performance and sound quality.

The German run in 73 is a standout playing wise with Offenburg one of my favs,

as for 72,  Adelaide and the 2 shows that make up the HTWWW are standouts along with the Budokan show.

On a side note, is the 85 issues giving you plenty of time to listen to the old boots sitting in traffic like myself?

27 minutes ago, No Quota said:

The German run in 73 is a standout playing wise with Offenburg one of my favs,

as for 72,  Adelaide and the 2 shows that make up the HTWWW are standouts along with the Budokan show.

On a side note, is the 85 issues giving you plenty of time to listen to the old boots sitting in traffic like myself?

You know, traffic wasn't too bad this past weekend. I drove from McDonough back up to Woodstock yesterday in 35 minutes. But I constantly have the boots going in my vehicle.

In addition to the shows mentioned above by No Quota, I like:

The two Nassau shows in '72

Seattle '72 (sound is so-so, but the performance is epic)

San Bernardino '72 (Robert's a bit rough, but Jimmy is on fire)

The 2nd Osaka show and Kyoto in Japan (the best Robert sounded for the latter half of '72)

The 2nd Paris show (the best Robert sounded on the Euro tour)

Mobile (missing the encores)

Bonzo's Birthday Party

Kezar Stadium

Seattle '73 (great sound quality)

1 hour ago, ZosoAddict said:

You know, traffic wasn't too bad this past weekend. I drove from McDonough back up to Woodstock yesterday in 35 minutes. But I constantly have the boots going in my vehicle.

Hey, that's my neck of the woods. (pun) :P 

Lucky for me I don't ever really have to take 85, just 5-75 mostly. :)

10-4-72 is a good one, sound quality is best in the latter part of the show, iirc.

^First time we hear shades of the 'San Francisco' section. 

Obviously the California 72 shows, although the sound quality isn't the best, same with 6/19 Seattle, one of their best performances but quality is pretty mediocre.

Purely performance-wise?

6/19/72 Seattle

7/21/73 Providence -- I take it Offenburg and the other amazing Europe shows for the superior setlist--thinking of "No Quarter" in particular, although the "I Can't Quit You Baby"'s during the Europe '73 "Whole Lotta Love"'s are to die for!

I thought Zeppelin's best year of touring was 1972. They sounded motivated and inspired. During the (somewhat) middle of that year came Houses of the Holy. For 1973, without a doubt it would be the German 1973 gigs. Bonzo sounded like a machine gun!

10 hours ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Think we are all in agreement 73' Europe was one of their peaks,

Essen for me is a different stratosphere to most other shows. I can listen to the Whole Lotta Love/D&C parts and be content. Absolute fire.

I tend to lean toward Essen as my favorite. I certainly intend to check out some of the other suggestions that I don't have in my collection.

The German tour is amazing, for sure, in addition to Offenburg, Vienna needs to be near the top of the list, as does Hamburg (despite the poor audience recording).  My personal favorite segment was July '73, probably not as technically proficient as March, but it was close and the introduction of NQ really added to the atmosphere.  In addition to Providence and Seattle '73, the first night in Detroit was even better (clear good audience recording too).  Pittsburgh is really good, too.  At the end of the day, the versions of DC and STH from the first night in NY (the ones that make up the bulk of the material on the TSRTS soundtrack) are probably Page's best solos ever, the audience recording isn't great but it reveals clearly that the soundtrack was not particularly doctored in the studio (at least to the extent of enhancing the performance).

I'm probably in the minority here, but I generally prefer the period beginning in Oct '72 when they revamped the set-list and introduced new material, the summer shows were overall great, but to me, they were on par with (and an extension of) the great '71 shows.  Should also point out from this period, the first leg of the British tour in Dec '72 gets overlooked a lot, Manchester and Glasgow are truly great shows. 

Charlotte '72, Baltimore '72, How the West Was Won, 6/27/72 snippet from Studio Daze, Southampton '73, Mobile '73, Salt Lake City '73, Seattle '73 (both audience tapes and soundboard versions worth having).

All of these sound good, and the band is playing well.

I'm not big on audience recordings but Charlotte '72 has always sounded great, Baltimore is almost as good too.

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 4:04 PM, ZepHead315 said:

The 2nd Osaka show and Kyoto in Japan (the best Robert sounded for the latter half of '72)

Bonzo's Birthday Party

Kezar Stadium

I listened to Mobile last night. That was a damn good show,

Does anyone have a link for Southampton 1/23/73  ?

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 4:04 PM, ZepHead315 said:

Bonzo's Birthday Party

Kezar Stadium

I just listened to the San Bernardino show. You are right. Whole Lotta Love and SIBLY stood out to me..

• 6 months later...

Listening to Providence today and the show definitely smokes IMO. Page in particular is excellent and Plant ain't too shabby either tbh. SIBLY features Page in supreme form and Plant let's out a couple of great screams.

No Quarter is also one of the best versions I've heard too.

June 15, 1972 Nassau.  Just blistering.  The crashing opening of Immigrant Song is just devastating.  This and the previous night-2 of my SBD holy grails.  You can't go wrong with any of the 1972 NA shows.  I love the Montreal show as well, which is usually over looked.  

May 1973 is also killer.  Especially Mobile.  Slick and professional-the playing just does not get much better than that.

Just now, johnlennon696 said:

Finished listening to Providence today and Plant is just on tonight. So was Page for that matter. Dazed locked my sickest off. The Ocean is as well as they've ever played it live.

One of Plant's best vocals of the tour the whole show.

It is indeed a killer show.  Where's the SBD of it??!!

8 minutes ago, LedElvis75 said:

It is indeed a killer show.  Where's the SBD of it??!!

Yea I'd kill for a SBD of this show. The AUD source we have is actually very good tbh but obviously a SBD would bring the shows' reputation up even more IMO. Plus we'd get the full TSRTS instead of just the final bit because even from that snippet it sounded great.

On 4/4/2017 at 2:59 PM, ZosoAddict said:

I tend to lean toward Essen as my favorite. I certainly intend to check out some of the other suggestions that I don't have in my collection.

No love for Munich? I thought that was an excellent show apart from sound quality.

6 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

No love for Munich? I thought that was an excellent show apart from sound quality.

One of my favs, and the sound quality is very good to me....with bootleg ears. That's an ass kicker ! 

On November 1, 2017 at 8:07 AM, johnlennon696 said:

Finished listening to Providence today and Plant is just on tonight. So was Page for that matter. Dazed knocked my sickest off. The Ocean is as well as they've ever played it live.

They played The Ocean on 20 bootlegs. .

Archived