My Moby Dick cover

porgie66

I hadn't played Moby Dick live in front of an audience for over 33 years, but I had a blast playing with my high school rock band Nuclear Waste, in a fundraiser for our old school's music department ( Lane Tech in Chicago). My friend Terry aka BONZOLEUM was on hand and recorded it. He has a youtube channel dedicated to Bonham fanatics worldwide. He posts very entertaining and informative videos analyzing and discussing Bonzo's playing , equipment etc... ( and some other drummers as well). Hope some of you Zep nuts enjoy it.

P.S. The actual tune starts about two minutes after Terry's entertaining intro. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mook said:

Hi Porgie, what's the story behind the kit, is it vintage & is that the original finish?

It's a beautiful looking kit.

Mook! Thanks. They're all early 70's 3 ply Luddys although I didn't acquire them together. The 24 bass drum, 13 tom and 16 floor tom are all original gold sparkle, the 18 floor tom is a recover to match. The snare is a mid 60's Supra 402.  The 24 in Giant Beat is late 60's, ala Bonham. That cymbal is a mother. 

31 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

Mook! Thanks. They're all early 70's 3 ply Luddys although I didn't acquire them together. The 24 bass drum, 13 tom and 16 floor tom are all original gold sparkle, the 18 floor tom is a recover to match. The snare is a mid 60's Supra 402.  The 24 in Giant Beat is late 60's, ala Bonham. That cymbal is a mother. 

In that case I am slightly in love with your drums.

The Giant Beats are great cymbals, I used to have an 18" crash & it sounded like heaven.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

In that case I am slightly in love with your drums.

The Giant Beats are great cymbals, I used to have an 18" crash & it sounded like heaven.

Thanks, I love the kit. Its a beauty. Bonzoleum is going to do a little video about Giant Beats with me and a guy who has a nice collection. We are going to geek out on them in his basement studio. ?

20 hours ago, porgie66 said:

We are going to geek out on them in his basement studio. ?

can't wait- hope you include the part where you have to climb over all the Christmas stuff to get in frame. Request:  2 RedBulls and 2 good mics prior to taping... :drinks:  I never miss a video of his. Some classics in there and not just the playing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2017 at 6:45 AM, Dallas Knebs said:

can't wait- hope you include the part where you have to climb over all the Christmas stuff to get in frame. Request:  2 RedBulls and 2 good mics prior to taping... :drinks:  I never miss a video of his. Some classics in there and not just the playing.

New vid is up on Bonzoleum channel. Geek fest on vintage Paistes and Bonham esoterica. Terry doesn't need Red Bull, just put some old Giant Beats in the room and he gets buzzing! 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
19 hours ago, whitzmusic said:

Excellent playing! It didn't seem at all that you played it live after that long. :)

By the way, are those jazz ride cymbals in your kit or something different?

Cheers and keep playing!

Thanks. The ride is a vintage late 60's 24 inch Giant Beat, same type and era Bonzo used. The crashes are newer Giant Beats and a newer 18 thin 602. 

Archived