Little Things You LOVE About Led Zeppelin

porgie66

OK, so spurred by my recent posts and feeling somewhat like a sour grapes , glass half empty negative grump...I decided to start a new thread with a more positive tone. 

I love how Bonzo looks like he's swearing or chewing taffy when he plays. 

The way page does that "connect" thing with his hand to the crowd in IMTOD when he holds that note. I mimmick it every time I watch it. It's fucking AWESOME. Gets you right into it.

And plantations. Sweet Jesus how these are not at least in part included in live releases...

That bit of B/W footage of JPJ looking like he is absolutely flogged. Is it after D&C? You have to smile every time.

1 hour ago, Boleskinner said:

The mystique.

37 years after they split up there's still a lot of unanswered questions and tantalising loose ends.

Absolutely. I wonder if that mystique translates to each younger generation? Seems like it does. 

The boots. I keep discovering new and amazing sounds from these four. Simply amazing what they could produce live with only four guys and no tapes.

Or as Bill O'Reily would say: We'll do it live....I SAID WE'LL DO IT LIVE!!! MOTHER FU...R!!!

11 hours ago, rm2551 said:

The way page does that "connect" thing with his hand to the crowd in IMTOD when he holds that note. I mimmick it every time I watch it. It's fucking AWESOME. Gets you right into it.

Agreed! That gesture is so badass!

I've always loved that look Bonzo and JPJ share at the beginning of the San Francisco section of Dazed and Confused in TSRTS. Just love how they're sharing a bit of a laugh during a heavy, epic, complex concert number. Makes me wish we had more footage of their concerts!

26 minutes ago, ZepHead315 said:

Agreed! That gesture is so badass!

I've always loved that look Bonzo and JPJ share at the beginning of the San Francisco section of Dazed and Confused in TSRTS. Just love how they're sharing a bit of a laugh during a heavy, epic, complex concert number. Makes me wish we had more footage of their concerts!

Yes! One of my all time favorite little discreet stage moments captured! The head shake...then the bad ass fill Bonzo plays leading into the groove. 

2 minutes ago, Dallas Knebs said:

I kinda dismissed this thread on first glance then I slowed down a sec, what a good question.

As I said, I really started to feel like I was focusing on negative shit, and decided to try to focus on the positive.  There is so much to appreciate in their history. As LP Man just commented...I discover new things in the boots all the time, improvisatory bits of brilliance that most bands never achieved because they stuck to a script, and played the 'show'. 

Little thing I love is the list of people that were denied access. To me this speaks loudest as no one was allowed to appropriate from them.

To be sure the undoing was the event becoming the event- all the while it satisfies to know that it was about what it was about and that is the lot. And it still is.

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:00 AM, rm2551 said:

And plantations. Sweet Jesus how these are not at least in part included in live releases...

This might be down to Robert himself - after all, Kevin Shirley says that Robert even asked him to erase 'does anyone remember laughter' from the 2007 version of TSRTS!  

6 minutes ago, Brigante said:

This might be down to Robert himself - after all, Kevin Shirley says that Robert even asked him to erase 'does anyone remember laughter' from the 2007 version of TSRTS!  

Interesting.  At the O2, when he sang the line "And the forest will echo with laughter", the fans on the barricade sang "Does anyone remember laughter?" and Robert smiled and chuckled at them!

The plantations

The sheer musicianship of all 4 guys

And this:

On 4/25/2017 at 2:30 PM, rm2551 said:

On 25/04/2017 at 9:46 PM, porgie66 said:

Yes! One of my all time favorite little discreet stage moments captured! The head shake...then the bad ass fill Bonzo plays leading into the groove. 

The interplay between them is wonderful in that moment. I'm still not sure why Bonzo shakes his head though, was JPJ warning him he was slightly off beat when he did the first fill? Or did Jones play a bum note? (surely scientists have established this is impossible)

I personally adore how connected they all appear to what they're playing.

Most musicians tend to exaggerate and try too hard to express themselves through their body language when performing, but Led Zeppelin nailed it in my humble opinion, particularly Bonzo who always seemed to move his entire body with the beat downs he would employ.

Jimmy also knew how to strut when the occasion warranted it, and his stances are always engaging.

Robert was probably the weakest in this aspect, his right hand gestures only go so far, but never the less, his Plantations more than made up for it.

Archived