Little Things You LOVE About Led Zeppelin

porgie66

22 minutes ago, 76229 said:

The interplay between them is wonderful in that moment. I'm still not sure why Bonzo shakes his head though, was JPJ warning him he was slightly off beat when he did the first fill? Or did Jones play a bum note? (surely scientists have established this is impossible)

I think neither. Bonzo plays the first downbeat crash with Jones , then Jones plays a whole note 2 bars later which Bonzo doesn't play on purpose... (hence the head shake and Jones hand gesture). Then two bars later Bonzo plays another crash with Jones walk up bass line , which it appears Jonesy says " good, or ok" .   I think its a great microcosm of how well they communicated ... improvised and had fun doing it. One of my all time fav moments of them on film. 

Some of the first thoughts that come to mind are...

The enthralling energy they emitted that you can even feel on their albums, thus their chemistry (especially 1975 and earlier). Therefore this goes along with their mystiqu, there truly isn't another band that has come close to this regardless of the skill of certain individuals. I think this is do to their relationship, how close they were or how they all shared a common vision for the majority of their time as a band.

Lastly the lack of a prevalent and deep egotistical feud between the members, I think that played a big part in their chemistry and what I outlined above. I see that many discuss the disconnect between Robert and John Paul Jones but I don't think it's as big of a deal as many think and I doubt that it was ever a problem at all, especially from 1968-1973. But I could be wrong about that.

I've always disliked how many bands seem to love when the media makes a soap opera out of them, especially when they consistently feed in to it because they're desperate for the promotion.

Two moments in The Song Remains the Same in the original movie soundtrack, title track.  Neither of these are in the remastered version.

As the first chord rings out there is a "click" of feedback off Jimmy's pickups.  So cool.

Near the end of the song,  Robert cries out "Oh, here we go!" during the "slidin' slidin' slidin'" part.  Fantastic.

How they always seem so timeless. I'm pretty young but I feel like my children or my children's children could discover Zep and become enthralled. They really did change music forever. On the right Zeppelin song, the perfect Zeppelin song, you will be whisked away into Page's beautiful guitar, Bonham's drums, John Paul Jones's quieter but powerful bass playing and of course Golden God Robert Plant's beautiful and unique voice. This perfect song for me is "Thank You," I found it when I was a middle schooler, and it always makes me cry still. 

5 hours ago, nemophilist said:

Lastly the lack of a prevalent and deep egotistical feud between the members, I think that played a big part in their chemistry and what I outlined above. I see that many discuss the disconnect between Robert and John Paul Jones but I don't think it's as big of a deal as many think and I doubt that it was ever a problem at all, especially from 1968-1973. But I could be wrong about that.

I've always disliked how many bands seem to love when the media makes a soap opera out of them, especially when they consistently feed in to it because they're desperate for the promotion.

This is a very good point. Seems like they had the utmost respect for each other musically and while they seem to have had very different personalities and interests , they were very accepting of each other and totally about the music when together. I could be wrong, there are always squabbles about musical choices, tempos etc. but I never heard about serious disputes or ego bullshit. 

I love the way that, when I decide to listen to a LZ album, I feel the need to play it all the way through every time...or else I haven't listened properly. (This is especially true for certain albums, e.g., for me personally, Led Zeppelin II. I can't just listen to a song or two - it's all the way through or not at all.) That's a testament to the band's performances and to Jimmy's production.

Forevermore made me think of another little thing I love...

There is no "Filler" on the albums, or at least, that's how I see it. The albums are a whole. Not the sum of it's tracks. Just like Forevermore says. Brilliant and ballsy move by Page to do that. Design albums.

Every track is enjoyable for me. I wish there were many more. Each one I cherish. I don't listen to all of them all the time, but everything gets a go because none of it is filler.

10 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Forevermore made me think of another little thing I love...

There is no "Filler" on the albums, or at least, that's how I see it. The albums are a whole. Not the sum of it's tracks. Just like Forevermore says. Brilliant and ballsy move by Page to do that. Design albums.

Every track is enjoyable for me. I wish there were many more. Each one I cherish. I don't listen to all of them all the time, but everything gets a go because none of it is filler.

Completely agreed.

Thanks for the props, btw... :)

Well, mentionining how Zep is timeless, here is my version.of that. Anytime I hear any live/bootleg Zep, it seems in my

delusional state to be taking place as I listen to it. Of course there may be a passing thought of, oh, this is 73', but in this

state Bonzo is indeed alive and Zep echoes in eternity. Incidentally this is not from being stoned or drunk, although a while 

back I used to get stoned. However, then I would throw on some Zep boot, Page would blow my mind( the whole band really)

and I had to shut off the boot. I was/am a gtr player, and a little voice in me was,telling me now I've got to practice, there will

be no rest till at least some greatness is acheived. Assembling a great band is another matter. Yes, off topic, but that is the

extent of Zep power

STRIDER!!! Can't think off the top of my head what bootleg I first heard Plant yell that at the end of Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp - probably Destroyer or something from 1972, but I've always got a kick out of it.  What other of the Elvi would write a song about their dog and joyously yell out the dog's name to the heavens high when the song was done?  Love it.

On 28.4.2017 at 2:04 AM, Pyrettablaze said:

How they always seem so timeless. I'm pretty young but I feel like my children or my children's children could discover Zep and become enthralled. They really did change music forever. On the right Zeppelin song, the perfect Zeppelin song, you will be whisked away into Page's beautiful guitar, Bonham's drums, John Paul Jones's quieter but powerful bass playing and of course Golden God Robert Plant's beautiful and unique voice. 

You said exactly what I was thinking . They played soft and they played heavy, their talent and diverse musicality left a massive impact on music.

I also love the mystique. All the stories that are untold. I think that every time while listening or watching Led Zeppelin I find something new, I never get tired of them.

1 hour ago, Mithril46 said:

I'm so stupid I can't post this, but what of Bonzo's absolutely manic and powerful 6/21/77 intro to TSRTS ?? Sounds like

he's channeling the gods.Only sounds silly if you dare to say that about others.

Epic! He's playing a beat similar to the one he plays in the theramin jam of WLL on the TSRTS soundtrack. Love that shit!!

On 4/29/2017 at 10:19 AM, Mercurious said:

STRIDER!!! Can't think off the top of my head what bootleg I first heard Plant yell that at the end of Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp - probably Destroyer or something from 1972, but I've always got a kick out of it.  What other of the Elvi would write a song about their dog and joyously yell out the dog's name to the heavens high when the song was done?  Love it.

YES !!  Always a great moment.  Thanks for reminding me of those.

On 4/30/2017 at 11:49 AM, Mithril46 said:

I'm so stupid I can't post this, but what of Bonzo's absolutely manic and powerful 6/21/77 intro to TSRTS ?? Sounds like

he's channeling the gods.Only sounds silly if you dare to say that about others.

that is the most insane drumming ive ever heard in my life. and its only like 10 seconds or whatever haha

2 hours ago, corduroyg said:

that is the most insane drumming ive ever heard in my life. and its only like 10 seconds or whatever haha

Incredible drumming, unbelievable drummer!  

Another "little thing" for me is "Bron-yr-aur".  Such a cool and rare thing, strange C tuning humm.  The last quiet moment in the movie, they're in the limo, driving to MSG from the airport ... sun is shining, the song comes on. A poignant moment, and even now, having seen the film too many times to count, that's the moment where I think, damn, these guys were just TOO good for words. smh in awe.

Here's a few little tidbits:

At the very end of The Rain Song, where for a brief instant the guitar suddenly sounds very dark or melancholy. I don't know if I'm describing it well. It almost sends a chill up my spine every time I hear it.

In Since I've Been Loving You, right about 5 minutes into the song, just before Plant sings "and my tears they fell like rain" Jones does the coolest little organ fill. You almost have to crank the song loud to even hear it.

In Battle of Evermore, just before Plant starts singing "bring it back", when the vocals just hang there for what seems like forever, and then just drop an octave or something.

Finally, in addition to the many fine things already mentioned, such as their incredible mystique; I would add the way in which they really just gave the finger to the entire pop music industry and played by their own rules, and were wildly successful not because of the pop music industry but rather in spite of it.

Oh, and I have to second, or third, or twelfth, the 6/21/77 intro to TSRTS. That can't be mentioned enough.

On 4/25/2017 at 9:54 AM, IpMan said:

The boots. I keep discovering new and amazing sounds from these four. Simply amazing what they could produce live with only four guys and no tapes.

:goodpost: 

Archived