Little Things You LOVE About Led Zeppelin

porgie66

The way Plant sings Night Flight, especially the last part.  It is one of my favorite Plant vocals.

Oh, come on, come on,  meet me in the morning
Won'tcha  meet me in the middle of the night, night, night
Everybody know the morning time is coming
Don't it make you wanna feel alright? Ah, ah, yeah
Make me feel alright
Fly now, baby
Get to fly, yeah
Fly now, baby

Then he grunts with gusto  Uh, uh, uh, uh !!!

In the original TSRTS movie, the speeded run up to get out of the Mars, Bringer of War progression.  When the soundtrack came out it was missing, but in the original film it is there.  Tight but loose, or "dancing on the precipice" as Jimmy also used to say.

23:23 - 23:29 in this clip.

Page leaving little tidbits in the studio recordings. Two of the most obvious are the plane on BCW and the cough at the end of IMTOD. But leaving in Bohnam's squeaky bass pedal is the real little tidbit I love. I read an interview with Glyn Johns that working with Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page was a bit surreal, because they both had laser focus in the studio and knew exactly what they wanted. Accidents in the studio may have altered their original vision, but nothing that actually went to press was an accident, they were perfectionists.

I think I like the squeak most on Ten Years Gone.

• 2 weeks later...

To add two more things:

I love the unique intro to No Quarter that Jones plays on 3/12/75. It sounds so haunting and eerie and fits the tone of the song perfectly. Anyone know of any other dates where he does a unique intro like this one?

I also love the moment just after the bow solo in D&C on 3/16/73. Instead of heading directly into the fast section, Page gets into a brief call-and-response with Bonham. He shreds through this acapella solo, then Bonzo responds with thunderous fills. For me those 20 seconds capture what the 73 Euro tour was all about. Just Page and Bonham battling it out each and every night.

On 5/20/2017 at 11:36 AM, ZepHead315 said:

To add two more things:

I love the unique intro to No Quarter that Jones plays on 3/12/75. It sounds so haunting and eerie and fits the tone of the song perfectly. Anyone know of any other dates where he does a unique intro like this one?

I also love the moment just after the bow solo in D&C on 3/16/73. Instead of heading directly into the fast section, Page gets into a brief call-and-response with Bonham. He shreds through this acapella solo, then Bonzo responds with thunderous fills. For me those 20 seconds capture what the 73 Euro tour was all about. Just Page and Bonham battling it out each and every night.

great stuff.  Thanks for pointing them out.   

When Plant says things like this:  (Toronto 4 Sept 1971)

Listen, it really amazes me because anybody who's been to England knows that when you go to a concert, you, there's such a thing a listening to what's going on. And unfortunately, unfortunately, we're faced with a problem in, in our free society, where a lot of people come to listen, and there's a lot of people who are making a racket, so as nobody hears what's going on. Now we've got some things to say, but every time I go to open my mouth, there's another spokesman. So we'd like to do two acoustic things now, if you could bear with us, alright? You can either stay in a complete rut, or after three years, you can start moving and flowing a bit more. So I think you'll pick that.

On 4/27/2017 at 11:45 PM, Dallas Knebs said:

It was there, it is there. Butt hurt and petty mostly. Some major rifts to be sure that you can't unrift, only set aside from time to time.

It's amazing RP even speaks with JP and JPJ after they didn't attend his son's funeral. He's a better man than me. 

Three silly things:

1) I wish I could have RPs hair, circa 1973 and be able to wear it like that in my day to day life. 

2) In boots, when he says "Do it!" right before "Many have I loved, and many times been bitten..."

3) In SIBLY boots, when he says "Only for five minutes..."

• 3 weeks later...

The live intros where they played another song to start, and it fit perfectly.

Good Times, Bad Times into Communication Breakdown

Rice Pudding into Heartbreaker

Bring It On Home into Black Dog

The Rover into Sick Again

Out on the Tiles into Over the Top Top Top Top Top . . . . 

• 2 weeks later...

1- Page's use of the theramin during the end jam of D & C on April 26 69. 

2- When they get into a bit of Machine Gun on D & C on a Europe 73 show or two

3- The way Bonzo keeps interrupting Plant by hitting his drums during the intro to Ten Years Gone on the Badgeholders show. Hilarious! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2017 at 6:27 PM, John M said:

In the original TSRTS movie, the speeded run up to get out of the Mars, Bringer of War progression.  When the soundtrack came out it was missing, but in the original film it is there.  Tight but loose, or "dancing on the precipice" as Jimmy also used to say.

23:23 - 23:29 in this clip.

Oh man, that is my favorite part of the movie, a monumental moment in the history of noise music, the key to the noisescape, a moment one that has changed many a punk art person's perception about Led Zep. Jimmy should have left it on the album, so it's a frustrating thing to think, well, what if he had left it on?  Wouldn't it have changed hundreds and hundreds of guitar players, if not thousands? I think so -- everybody who I ever played that for instantly changes whatever notions they had about the band, and about Page's guitar vision.

The way the drums and banjo crash in on Gallows Pole. Lifting the song so brilliantly and drawing at a minimum the thumping of your foot if not total head swinging and air drums.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Two little things I have re-noticed on live song intros lately

HTWWW Black Dog - a little jolt of guitar in a place where there is usually no guitar at around 0:14

And the way Page combines the fast rhythm of Communication Breakdown into Good Times Bad Times intro on Paris Oct 1969, around 0:27 - 0:35

When they played Stairway at Knebworth, 'and the forest will echo with laughter' everyone expected Plant to shout 'Remember Laughter' instead he just held his hands out to the audience and everyone knew what he meant.

Also something that all the vid clips probably dont have. It was a full moon coming up behind the stage, so especially during Page's violin bow section it all seemed part of the act.

Archived