Stairway to Heaven - Solo - Guitar Lesson

The Pagemeister

WTH, this guy is way off, in timing, tempo, and what Page actually plays on the studio recording. However, I still think it good (despite the reverb and such) and gives a basic idea as to how the solo is constructed.

I give it a C+ to a B-

4 hours ago, IpMan said:

WTH, this guy is way off, in timing, tempo, and what Page actually plays on the studio recording. However, I still think it good (despite the reverb and such) and gives a basic idea as to how the solo is constructed.

I give it a C+ to a B-

This guy is a teacher on YouTube for beginners

1 hour ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

This guy is a teacher on YouTube for beginners

If you're going to teach people how to do something, it's generally best to be able to actually do the thing that you're trying to teach correctly.  This guy is like a clockwork toy - wind him up and away he goes, paying no attention to the music he's supposed to be playing over.  This is not a good way to teach people, especially beginners.

5 hours ago, IpMan said:

I give it a C+ to a B-

You are incredibly generous.

It reminds me of the old Morecambe & Wise sketch (you probably won't know about this unless you're a Brit), where Eric Morecambe tries to play Grieg's Piano Concerto (very, very badly) and says "I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order...".

27 minutes ago, woz70 said:

If you're going to teach people how to do something, it's generally best to be able to actually do the thing that you're trying to teach correctly.  This guy is like a clockwork toy - wind him up and away he goes, paying no attention to the music he's supposed to be playing over.  This is not a good way to teach people, especially beginners.

Y

I disagree he isn't claiming to give a note for note diatribe. You should see his other work he is merely giving the most basic steps so beginners can play their favorite songs from the bat as they progress they'll see the more intricate parts and techniques used.

18 minutes ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

I disagree he isn't claiming to give a note for note diatribe. You should see his other work he is merely giving the most basic steps so beginners can play their favorite songs from the bat as they progress they'll see the more intricate parts and techniques used.

It's not about note-for-note.  It's about playing in time.  I've watched a few of his videos and the guy has no sense of pulse whatsoever.
Playing the guitar - or any instrument - isn't simply about learning the notes and playing them back like a tape machine. 

It's also about listening. 

This guy has learnt the notes (some are wrong, but that's not the point), but he's not listening, and reacting to, the backing track he's playing along with.  He's knows his cue, and once he's got that, off he goes with no regard to what's going on - just gotta fit all those notes in!  Finished before the backing track has?  No problem - he fit all the notes in!
If you teach somebody something wrong, they play it wrong pretty much forever.  Teach it right once, and that's all you ever need.  Teach it wrong and you expend 4 times as much effort putting it right than it did to learn it in the first place.  I know this because I spend a great deal of time getting students to unlearn some of the bad stuff they've picked up watching videos like this and re-learning it correctly, because they've got to the point of realising 'it doesn't sound quite right, but I learned it by rote off this amazing video I found on youtube, so it must be right....'.

3 hours ago, woz70 said:

It's not about note-for-note.  It's about playing in time.  I've watched a few of his videos and the guy has no sense of pulse whatsoever.
Playing the guitar - or any instrument - isn't simply about learning the notes and playing them back like a tape machine. 

It's also about listening. 

This guy has learnt the notes (some are wrong, but that's not the point), but he's not listening, and reacting to, the backing track he's playing along with.  He's knows his cue, and once he's got that, off he goes with no regard to what's going on - just gotta fit all those notes in!  Finished before the backing track has?  No problem - he fit all the notes in!
If you teach somebody something wrong, they play it wrong pretty much forever.  Teach it right once, and that's all you ever need.  Teach it wrong and you expend 4 times as much effort putting it right than it did to learn it in the first place.  I know this because I spend a great deal of time getting students to unlearn some of the bad stuff they've picked up watching videos like this and re-learning it correctly, because they've got to the point of realising 'it doesn't sound quite right, but I learned it by rote off this amazing video I found on youtube, so it must be right....'.

I hear ya. I am a bit of a timing freak and thus if my technique is not up to par for a particular solo, I will slow it down, hit the basic structure, but stay in time and tempo with the rest of the band. I always believed it is much better to dumb the solo down if necessary to ensure the integrity of the song as a whole, rather than attempt to play beyond my ability and destroy the whole song in the process.

I don't care how awesome a guitarist is, the mantra for ALL musicians should be thus: The solo, if there is one, should ENHANCE the song, not BE the song. Steve Miller, one of the best guitarists of all time understood this better than anyone. His recorded tunes are masterpieces of structure and he never overplayed on record. Live however he does expand his solos on some of the hits but he prefers to really stretch out and show off on his non-hits. I would easily place Miller in the same category of Page & Hendrix but most fans would never know he is such an awesome guitarist unless they saw him live.

As my old guitar teacher used to tell me about soloing in general, "If in doubt...leave it out." 

A song will always survive without the solo, but the solo will never survive without the song. 

• 2 months later...

Archived