50th Anniversary Show??!!!?

Bozoso73

Ok so there's been a buzz about this so called desert show. . If its being covered in another thread forgive me but could this really happen?? Its practically in my back yard and would sell my soul to be in So. Cal for this if its true (like many others here). . Thoughts or comments please. . 

PS It seems Robert's home page is adding to the speculation of this show as well. . 

I would not get my hopes up. If Zeppelin really were uniting, I doubt they would do it at a festival like this where the other big headliners are Kansas, Blue Oyster Cult, .38 Special, Styx, Supertramp, and REO Speedwagon. Not to knock those bands, but if Zeppelin were to reunite, it would be a huge event. Hell, they'd probably have their own festival. Besides, the only reason the O2 show happened was as a special tribute to Ahmet Ertegun. Plant has always been notoriously reluctant to do this stuff, so it would be very odd if he suddenly said "Well, shit, since it's the 50th anniversary why not?" As for the home page, I think that's probably leading up to an announcement of a forthcoming solo album/tour by Plant, not a reunion.

Bottom line, don't believe any of this stuff until the band officially announces it.

6 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

Ok so there's been a buzz about this so called desert show. . If its being covered in another thread forgive me but could this really happen?? Its practically in my back yard and would sell my soul to be in So. Cal for this if its true (like many others here). . Thoughts or comments please. . 

PS It seems Robert's home page is adding to the speculation of this show as well. . 

Not a chance.

Robert's 'any time now' is about his soon-to-be-released new album.

1 minute ago, woz70 said:

Not a chance.

Robert's 'any time now' is about his soon-to-be-released new album.

MAN!!! the LZ LIVE/50 is all over the place today!!!! On my FB feed 10 times or more. .seen on Yahoo as well. .This is great free press for Percy and the new album. .gets more pub than the Beebs these days. .BUT could this even really go down?? My bass player said something a few days ago about the"desert" thing. . its 3 hours from me in PHX. .sooo its got my head spinning. .  

10 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

MAN!!! the LZ LIVE/50 is all over the place today!!!! On my FB feed 10 times or more. .seen on Yahoo as well. .This is great free press for Percy and the new album. .gets more pub than the Beebs these days. .BUT could this even really go down?? My bass player said something a few days ago about the"desert" thing. . its 3 hours from me in PHX. .sooo its got my head spinning. .  

How much news feed would you get if the message was "Robert Plant's new solo album..." ? Yeah, that's what I thought which is why these games are played. 

12 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

No.

Robert will not work with JP and JPJ again.  I heard it from his own mouth shortly before the O2.

Unspin your head, and move on.

It's over.

8 hours ago, woz70 said:

Robert will not work with JP and JPJ again.  I heard it from his own mouth shortly before the O2.

Woz were you working for the band? If you dont mind a backstory please? I wonder if this gets back to the members that one little article from a not so reliable source explodes on the internet. 

3 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

Woz were you working for the band? If you dont mind a backstory please? I wonder if this gets back to the members that one little article from a not so reliable source explodes on the internet. 

I was on holiday, having a quiet pint in a pub not far from one of his homes (I had no idea at the time).  RP came in, sat down about 3 feet away from me with some friends, and started quite openly discussing the upcoming O2 gig (this was the July before and there 10-15 other people in the pub) and the logistical nightmare that it had become for him.  One of his friends asked if he'd considered 'getting the band back together' for a tour/recording.  RP was not impressed, and said he wouldn't work with 'those guys' again under any circumstances - this was it, the last time (and done properly this time), and he was only doing it because Ahmet Ertegun's wife had asked, as a tribute to Ahmet, who he called his dear friend.

His attitude since the O2 gig doesn't seem to have changed, and he seemed quite adamant at the time.

4 hours ago, woz70 said:

I was on holiday, having a quiet pint in a pub not far from one of his homes (I had no idea at the time).  RP came in, sat down about 3 feet away from me with some friends, and started quite openly discussing the upcoming O2 gig (this was the July before and there 10-15 other people in the pub) and the logistical nightmare that it had become for him.  One of his friends asked if he'd considered 'getting the band back together' for a tour/recording.  RP was not impressed, and said he wouldn't work with 'those guys' again under any circumstances - this was it, the last time (and done properly this time), and he was only doing it because Ahmet Ertegun's wife had asked, as a tribute to Ahmet, who he called his dear friend.

His attitude since the O2 gig doesn't seem to have changed, and he seemed quite adamant at the time.

I don't know you but I do not believe one word of your post.  I do not believe that you sat "3 feet away" Robert Plant.  I could say more (and I will if prompted), however, I have more pressing matters to attend to and that is to drink more Beer. 

If you wish to challenge Me, feel free and compelled, I just have a strong feeling to doubt your "claim" and feel the need to call you out. 

Who knows, what you claim could be true but I (and others) would want real and definitive proof of this so-called "pub room" encounter with Robert Plant. 

Please respond. 

3 hours ago, kingzoso said:

I don't know you but I do not believe one word of your post.  I do not believe that you sat "3 feet away" Robert Plant.  I could say more (and I will if prompted), however, I have more pressing matters to attend to and that is to drink more Beer. 

If you wish to challenge Me, feel free and compelled, I just have a strong feeling to doubt your "claim" and feel the need to call you out. 

Who knows, what you claim could be true but I (and others) would want real and definitive proof of this so-called "pub room" encounter with Robert Plant. 

Please respond. 

Believe whatever you like. What reason would i have to make this up? I'm not going to argue with you. The only 'proof' you'd accept is a photo, and I didn't take any, mainly because I didn't really expect to bump into RP in a quiet village pub in the West Midlands, but also because he was with a group of friends and I didn't want to a rude 'fan' and bother him.

I've bumped into him on two occasions, the second one being at the Borderline club in London, when I was at one of Logan Plant's bands gigs (can't remember what they were called now, but they were pretty good). He sat in the corner, had a can of Red Stripe, chatted to a few people and band after the gig, then got up and left.

10 hours ago, woz70 said:

As it was not announced that LZ were to perform at the O2 until mid September, are you sure the conversation you heard was about LZ performing at the O2. IIRC originally it was going to be Robert playing with his current band.

51 minutes ago, JTM said:

As it was not announced that LZ were to perform at the O2 until mid September, are you sure the conversation you heard was about LZ performing at the O2. IIRC originally it was going to be Robert playing with his current band.

Definitely. He was moaning about having to communicate with Page and Jones via email through their management/lawyers, wondering why they just couldn't get on the phone to discuss things - obviously not a fan of email and a little exasperated by Page and his management from the sound of it. He actually sounded pretty fed up about the whole thing, and the fact that it seemed to growing out of control - it was originally supposed to be held at the Albert Hall in London, after all, and a few other bands had pulled out because it was turning into a mainly Zeppelin event rather than a simple tribute to Ahmet Ertegun in their eyes.  He said 'the beast has been awakened' and taken on a life of its own, just like the old days. The whole thing sounds like it became a far bigger deal than he had either anticipated or wanted. He also mentioned that he was busy with the Alison Krauss thing (which he was far more enthusiastic about), but the rest of the band were already rehearsing without him. 

I was obviously gobsmacked. Even more so when the gig was finally announced. 

23 minutes ago, woz70 said:

Definitely. He was moaning about having to communicate with Page and Jones via email through their management/lawyers, wondering why they just couldn't get on the phone to discuss things - obviously not a fan of email and a little exasperated by Page and his management from the sound of it. He actually sounded pretty fed up about the whole thing, and the fact that it seemed to growing out of control - it was originally supposed to be held at the Albert Hall in London, after all, and a few other bands had pulled out because it was turning into a mainly Zeppelin event rather than a simple tribute to Ahmet Ertegun in their eyes.  He said 'the beast has been awakened' and taken on a life of its own, just like the old days. The whole thing sounds like it became a far bigger deal than he had either anticipated or wanted. He also mentioned that he was busy with the Alison Krauss thing (which he was far more enthusiastic about), but the rest of the band were already rehearsing without him. 

I was obviously gobsmacked. Even more so when the gig was finally announced. 

Fair enough, what an exclusive to earwig in on. Thanks for the detail....

7 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Please respond. 

Man, sometimes you really are beyond rude. 

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:02 AM, ZepHead315 said:

I would not get my hopes up. If Zeppelin really were uniting, I doubt they would do it at a festival like this where the other big headliners are Kansas, Blue Oyster Cult, .38 Special, Styx, Supertramp, and REO Speedwagon. Not to knock those bands, but if Zeppelin were to reunite, it would be a huge event. Hell, they'd probably have their own festival. Besides, the only reason the O2 show happened was as a special tribute to Ahmet Ertegun. Plant has always been notoriously reluctant to do this stuff, so it would be very odd if he suddenly said "Well, shit, since it's the 50th anniversary why not?" As for the home page, I think that's probably leading up to an announcement of a forthcoming solo album/tour by Plant, not a reunion.

Bottom line, don't believe any of this stuff until the band officially announces it.

err, that lineup was an April Fools joke..  Just look at who played last year and you'll know the caliber of talent this festival will bring.

On 5/6/2017 at 8:36 AM, woz70 said:

he was only doing it because Ahmet Ertegun's wife had asked, as a tribute to Ahmet, who he called his dear friend.

Well, true but also because he elected to do something in London as opposed to participate in a tribute concert held in New York.

On 5/6/2017 at 1:21 PM, kingzoso said:

Please respond. 

Good grief.

On 5/6/2017 at 4:23 PM, woz70 said:

I was at one of Logan Plant's bands gigs (can't remember what they were called now, but they were pretty good). 

Black Country Bandits

On 5/6/2017 at 7:16 PM, JTM said:

Originally it was to be the surviving members of Led Zeppelin paying tribute to Ahmet by performing a short set (less than 45 minutes).

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Well, true but also because he elected to do something in London as opposed to participate in a tribute concert held in New York.

So is Percy the main reason the whole show was played at O2? Was there an initial plan to do it in NY and he shot that down?

THX SAJ

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 1:23 AM, woz70 said:

Believe whatever you like. What reason would i have to make this up? I'm not going to argue with you. The only 'proof' you'd accept is a photo, and I didn't take any, mainly because I didn't really expect to bump into RP in a quiet village pub in the West Midlands

unless Croatia has a West Midlands you did not have a pint with Plant. And rehearsals had not started- in any form- at that point in time.

6 hours ago, Dallas Knebs said:

unless Croatia has a West Midlands you did not have a pint with Plant. And rehearsals had not started- in any form- at that point in time.

Croatia? WTF are you talking about? 

I live in Wales, and at the time I lived in London. I was on holiday on the canals in the West Midlands of England, not too far from Birmingham.

And I didn't 'have a pint with Plant'. Where did i say that? He joined a group of his friends who were sat on the next table in the pub I was drinking in, which was about 3 feet away from me.

All I'm relaying is what I overheard.  I honestly couldn't give a toss whether you believe me or not. 

Edited to add...

Oh, I see what you're getting at....

Plant was on tour in Croatia in parts of july 2007, wasn't he?  He mentioned that he'd literally just got back from Monte Carlo, so that makes it about August 2nd 2007 according to the Dave Lewis tour diary. My mistake. My holiday had started at the end of July, but we were out on the boat for about 10 days. I'm not great with dates at the best of times, even less when I'm on holiday and I don't even need to know what day it is. Many apologies if you feel I've deceived you by misremembering a date from 10 years ago!

Sheesh. 

12 hours ago, woz70 said:

Sons of Albion!

Come to think of it, you are probably correct. Black Country Bandits proceeded them.

10 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

So is Percy the main reason the whole show was played at O2? Was there an initial plan to do it in NY and he shot that down?

THX SAJ

Robert Plant is the main reason why there was a reunion tribute and the main reason why it was held in England. It was originally going to be held at the Royal Albert Hall but the venue was changed to the 02 as things progressed.

A memorial service for Ertegun was held in New York on April 17, 2007, and a large part of that evening was given over to musical performances. Wynton Marsalis opened the tribute with the jazz standard "Didn’t He Ramble", Eric Clapton and Dr. John performed "Drinkin' Wine Spo-Dee-O-Dee", and other performers included Solomon Burke, Ben E. King, Sam Moore, Stevie Nicks, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, and Phil Collins.

It's my understanding Robert Plant was offered an opportunity to perform at that memorial service. He declined, with the caveat that he would pay tribute to Ahmet Ertegun in due course with an event in England. I'm sure I have some notes and quotes on file to support this. I do show he was flown from New York City to New Orleans on April 19, 2007.  

4 hours ago, Dallas Knebs said:

The first day of rehearsal (Page, Plant, JPJ & Jason) was June 10, 2007 at 2:30 pm in Elstree Film Studios - George Lucas Stage 2.  'No Quarter' followed by 'Kashmir'. 

50th anniversary show?

What's the point?

They are all ten years older since the O2 and it shows.

What is their left to do or prove?

If they truly want to show their appreciation to their true fans, they should release all remaining soundboards, videoed concerts, etc in their possession - barring any howlers - in the highest quality possible.

Do it via the Zep website as download only and circumvent all the record company suits.

It's never going to happen; but it should.

Imo an acoustic short (45 mins) set would be a good way to mark the anniversary. The absence of an acoutic set was my only gripe with the o2 show, and it would give a chance to showcase the likes of That's the way, Gallows pole, and the "softer side" if you like. And JP could sit down all the way through ;)

Archived