50th Anniversary Show??!!!?

Bozoso73

21 minutes ago, 76229 said:

Imo an acoustic short (45 mins) set would be a good way to mark the anniversary. The absence of an acoutic set was my only gripe with the o2 show, and it would give a chance to showcase the likes of That's the way, Gallows pole, and the "softer side" if you like. And JP could sit down all the way through ;)

Hammer of the gods don't do acoustic only sets.

would be a bit of anti climax, I think.

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 5:21 AM, kingzoso said:

I don't know you but I do not believe one word of your post.  I do not believe that you sat "3 feet away" Robert Plant.  I could say more (and I will if prompted), however, I have more pressing matters to attend to and that is to drink more Beer. 

If you wish to challenge Me, feel free and compelled, I just have a strong feeling to doubt your "claim" and feel the need to call you out. 

Who knows, what you claim could be true but I (and others) would want real and definitive proof of this so-called "pub room" encounter with Robert Plant. 

Please respond. 

why don't you believe him? Planty can often be spotted out and about. I have friends who have met him in a pub, in a florists shop, oa train etc. he does exist in the real world and goes to "normal" places, particularly involving pubs

7 hours ago, 76229 said:

Fair play, but i don't remember the Unledded set being anti climactic. Isn't this realistically the only way Plant will ever agree to it?

Unledded wasn't completely acoustic (hence the title they come up with instead of MTV's unplugged), and Plant allegedly approached Jimmy with the idea of doing acoustic only music, around five years ago, and he declined.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think it would fly with the band or the public.

2 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Plant allegedly approached Jimmy with the idea of doing acoustic only music

It just wasn't going to work beyond the O2

Plant wants to make music that is not loud- his words.

Being the frontman for LZ means you are only as good as your last bawling wailing high note whilst bare chested and your circumcision out for all to see.  Tall cool order for someone in their prime how much more when the golden mane is greyed sparse and the chest not so bare. Handling a sore throat, a raw vocal chord or a voice crack is one thing- simply not being able to match the task is another. Plant knows it isn't LZ without the wailing and balls out singing and even the acoustic type versions he does on his own is really a drop off from LZ. I know it is not fair to compare yet it is a drop off especially when he moves the melody lines around to where he can whisper sing.  I am not knocking him he does deliver a consistent performance.

LZ could do mood music I suppose and continually recraft their standards.  One of the challenges to listening to the O2 performance is the songs not in their original key. To me it made them muddy, not darker or more powerful. No Quarter lost something for me and I never thought that possible.

On 5/7/2017 at 2:42 PM, dubnspace said:

err, that lineup was an April Fools joke..  Just look at who played last year and you'll know the caliber of talent this festival will bring.

:slapface: How did I miss that?! Thank you for letting me know!

On 5/6/2017 at 0:23 AM, woz70 said:

Believe whatever you like. What reason would i have to make this up? I'm not going to argue with you. The only 'proof' you'd accept is a photo, and I didn't take any, mainly because I didn't really expect to bump into RP in a quiet village pub in the West Midlands, but also because he was with a group of friends and I didn't want to a rude 'fan' and bother him.

I've bumped into him on two occasions, the second one being at the Borderline club in London, when I was at one of Logan Plant's bands gigs (can't remember what they were called now, but they were pretty good). He sat in the corner, had a can of Red Stripe, chatted to a few people and band after the gig, then got up and left.

Don't worry about the trolls, I believe you woz70.

• 3 weeks later...

There have been various rumours and some real wishful thinking about Led Zeppelin performing live again.  But its juts that - wishful thinking.  There is really nothing to these stories.

Will they EVER play again in a concert,a   tour, or just a one-off show, or maybe a future "Live 8" type of situation?  One cannot know.  I wouldn't rule it our but I wouldn't get your hopes up.  These are a group of men in their 70s with health issues, families, and many more things going on in their life besides a band they played in that ended its run 37 years ago.

But believe me, I would be thrilled to see them do anything together in the future.

So would I, but I also think it's highly unlikely to happen. Another poster on a separate thread said there have been rumours in LA they will play live this autumn. I would like to know more about what has been heard, but then there are probably also rumours that Elvis faked his death & will play too, so.....

A book containing mini representations of their most famous and rare concert posters to celebrate 50 years along with special live concert(s) on cd, vinyl and digital would be cool, too.

R?

I'm sure there will be lots of that  - merchandising, books, maybe a documentary.  Maybe a CNN or BBS special (like CNN's special on Chicago).  

It's kind of hard to imagine that there will NOT be some release of a recording around the time of the 50th whether its simply a greatest hits package, however redundant  and repetitive that may be.  The Stones made their "GRR" 3-CD hits package, which, to long time Stones fans, is pretty much pointless but to new fans its a treasure trove.  

But sadly a live show by Led Zeppelin looks like a real long shot.

1 hour ago, irondirigible said:

a live show by Led Zeppelin looks like a real long shot.

for an old dame to roll out her show in public takes a cause

it has to be worth the nip tuck suck spanks paint and glitz for her to roll out her show and baby it takes an army about six months to get her ready.

Kinda difficult for me to see a cause in an anniversary.  A nod or acknowledgement for sure, a wave and a smile from a balcony. Anything more is self indulgent and looks like a commoner.

Led Zeppelin has 3 surviving members, plus Bonham's son and others to help them.  But they really all seem like their default is NOT to be a band, not to play together.  Unlike the Stones who seldom go a couple of years without doing some shows. 

I am sure that the idea will be floated and talked about those around Plant, Page, and Jones, but I don't see the idea going anywhere.

Dallas Knebs to do you really think it takes them 6 months to prepare?

7 minutes ago, irondirigible said:

Dallas Knebs to do you really think it takes them 6 months to prepare?

yessir

JPJ and JB not so much. RP & JP yes- unless you want another Live-Aid and Atlantic 40th performance.

They performed super safe and narrow at the O2 -emphasis- on safe and it got shaky at times. It is not enough to sound like LZ you have to perform as LZ -as a unit- for the entirety of the set- and not sound like you are a coverband of yourself. Rare air to be sure even when in your 20s.  You can't just revisit the moves, it doesn't work.

The pressure and expectations to reach that when you are in your 70s is not a reality. They would have to recraft more than just drop the key of some songs and then you are basically doing a Sensational Space Shifters/Allison Kraus set. Plant's attempt at Kashmir this past March is an example. Plant cannot whisper sing during a LZ performance and get away with it. He would likely have to lose 15lbs, get extensions and fillers and bring out and work hard to get his LZ voice to be second nature again.

To put together a 12 song set- recraft it- and be LZ is at least a 6 month endeavor. Alongside the stagecraft and visuals. That alone is a 10week project to get from concept to run through to opening night- and a huge $$$ commitment.

9 minutes ago, irondirigible said:

But they really all seem like their default is NOT to be a band, not to play together

3 are the band and nothing left to prove that was not settled to their satisfaction at the O2.  It is a matter of the heart and it would have to be for a cause rather than self serving.

12 hours ago, Dallas Knebs said:

yessir

JPJ and JB not so much. RP & JP yes- unless you want another Live-Aid and Atlantic 40th performance.

They performed super safe and narrow at the O2 -emphasis- on safe and it got shaky at times. It is not enough to sound like LZ you have to perform as LZ -as a unit- for the entirety of the set- and not sound like you are a coverband of yourself. Rare air to be sure even when in your 20s.  You can't just revisit the moves, it doesn't work.

The pressure and expectations to reach that when you are in your 70s is not a reality. They would have to recraft more than just drop the key of some songs and then you are basically doing a Sensational Space Shifters/Allison Kraus set. Plant's attempt at Kashmir this past March is an example. Plant cannot whisper sing during a LZ performance and get away with it. He would likely have to lose 15lbs, get extensions and fillers and bring out and work hard to get his LZ voice to be second nature again.

To put together a 12 song set- recraft it- and be LZ is at least a 6 month endeavor. Alongside the stagecraft and visuals. That alone is a 10week project to get from concept to run through to opening night- and a huge $$$ commitment.

3 are the band and nothing left to prove that was not settled to their satisfaction at the O2.  It is a matter of the heart and it would have to be for a cause rather than self serving.

What cause would be great enough at this point in history for them to reunite and perform (in their 70s / 50s for Jason)?  (I can't think of anything thing outside of hunger (Live Aid - already did that in July of 1985) , death (Ahmet tribute -O2 show already did that December 2007),  disease or as a response to some horrific occurrence (like recent tragedy in Manchester) , which I hope/pray doesn't  happen.)

R? 

Good point. It's hard to see a cause right now that they would do this for. I suppose that someone might feel that the world is due for another concert to bring attention to climate change. This sort of happened with 'live earth' in 2007. But what with trumps recent actions maybe there could be another concert to show solidarity of the view that climate change is real and action is neeed.

but really we're pipe dreaming here. zeppelin is very unlikely to perform agan. If they ever do it it will be because they want to.

the thing with things like this is that if they play one then the next time a similar event occurs they'll be expected to play that as well. several years ago someone on here thought they (LZ) owed it to the world to play a fundraiser for the victims of the tsunami.

either way, they split up 37 years ago. they're not likely to be playing anywhere. personally I'm happy with that. people say they should play "one last time", well they did. it was at the O2

Archived