Rock and Roll Names that will be Immortalized for time Immorium.

kingzoso

1 hour ago, kingzoso said:

Jimmy Page

Unlikely. Ask 100 people age 18 to 21 if they know who he is.

Band names...The Beatles...The Rolling Stones...Led Zeppelin...have a better chance of being known and recalled say 300 years from now. Even then, they'll be all but forgotten. It's just the way the world works.

10 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Unlikely. Ask 100 people age 18 to 21 if they know who he is.

Band names...The Beatles...The Rolling Stones...Led Zeppelin...have a better chance of being known and recalled say 300 years from now. Even then, they'll be all but forgotten. It's just the way the world works.

While they'll never be household names like Elvis, Lennon, Bowie or Jagger, I would argue Led Zeppelin's members are more known today then they were during their time together.. Maybe they should have appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show, or on the cover of LIFE Magazine.  They're much more media friendly now than they ever were when the band was happening.   You never would have seen Jimmy on the Tonight Show in 1973..

I do have to agree with the name thing. I was hanging out with some younger people one night, that hate today's music, & enjoyed what I knew. When I mentioned a band, they were familiar with some of their work, if I broke it down, to actual members names, they were lost, it's just the way things are currently.

This topic made me curious so I tried my own little experiment at work.  We have three college students who work here, so as they came in, I asked them the following (with their responses):

Have you ever heard of Led Zeppelin?

B:  Yes

R: Of Course!

J: Well, duh!

What's your favorite Led Zeppelin song?

B: Black Dog

R: Kashmir

J: Can't pick just one.

What's your favorite Led Zeppelin Album?

B: That one with Black Dog...and Stairway.

R:  Mothership - their greatest hits.

J: Physical Graffiti...cuz it's got double the songs on it.

Can you name any of the members?

B: Robert Plant and Jimmy Page

R: Robert Plant and Jimmy Page

J: John Bonham, drums, Robert Plant, Singer, John Paul Something, bass and keyboards and of course, Jimmy the Guitar God Page.

I bowed to each of them and told them I was floored that they knew so much!  They said they love classic rock and most of their friends do to!  This may not be typical of most of today's youth, but there IS hope for the future!   

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2017 at 2:59 PM, Stryder1978 said:

This topic made me curious so I tried my own little experiment at work.  We have three college students who work here, so as they came in, I asked them the following (with their responses):

Have you ever heard of Led Zeppelin?

B:  Yes

R: Of Course!

J: Well, duh!

What's your favorite Led Zeppelin song?

B: Black Dog

R: Kashmir

J: Can't pick just one.

What's your favorite Led Zeppelin Album?

B: That one with Black Dog...and Stairway.

R:  Mothership - their greatest hits.

J: Physical Graffiti...cuz it's got double the songs on it.

Can you name any of the members?

B: Robert Plant and Jimmy Page

R: Robert Plant and Jimmy Page

J: John Bonham, drums, Robert Plant, Singer, John Paul Something, bass and keyboards and of course, Jimmy the Guitar God Page.

I bowed to each of them and told them I was floored that they knew so much!  They said they love classic rock and most of their friends do to!  This may not be typical of most of today's youth, but there IS hope for the future!   

I'm 20, and whenever I find a band I really like, Classic Rock or otherwise, I latch on to a member (or members) and learn not only thier name, but anything about them I can find. Not everyone my age or around my age is like that, and not everyone my age, younger or even older cares or knows about this music, but you'd be surprised, I've met kids in MIDDLE SCHOOL who have a love for this music, for Zeppelin and other great bands. When a band is as good as Zep, they'll never truly die.

On 6/22/2017 at 7:44 AM, Stryder1978 said:

It's so great to know there are young folks out there like you that DO appreciate great music.....thanks for sharing your story!

At this very moment there are thousands of boys and girls all around the world who are hearing or discovering the Music of Led Zeppelin for the first time.  This will happen every single day until the end of Time.  That is how powerful and brilliant the Music of Led Zeppelin is.  

Archived