Graduation Ceremony Won't Recognize Dead Teen

SteveAJones

I think this is an interesting story that may generate some discussion here:

http://nypost.com/2017/05/08/graduation-wont-recognize-dead-teen-over-ceremonys-happy-vibrant-feel/

Personally, I side with the school's logic that the focus of the ceremony should be on the graduates and their accomplishments. Of course, it would also be appropriate to include a small memorial photo in the event program, given she probably would have graduated with her classmates had she not been killed. 

6 hours ago, chef free said:

When a kid in my class died, we had a nice tribute to him in the yearbook.

A classmate of mine killed himself during our senior year of high school. There is a portrait of him in our yearbook captioned with his name, year of birth, year of death and "Remember the Good Times". I have always found it to be poignant and appropriate, but acknowledging him during commencement would have seemed inappropriate as-he did not graduate with us that day.        

Trying to remember if anyone died in my graduating class...we had a few student deaths but it may have been underclassmen. I certainly don't remember any mention of death at the graduation ceremony.

I think a memorial tribute in the yearbook is satisfactorily appropriate. Doing something at the graduation ceremony is too maudlin.

A girl from my graduating class was struck and killed by a car three months before graduation. We (I was on the yearbook committee) were able to shoehorn a tribute to her into the yearbook at the 11th hour before we had to send the proof. It turned out very nice and tasteful. At the graduation ceremony the Principal and Valedictorian both mentioned her and both brought tears to everyone. The graduation would have been less and diluted without the mention of this sweet girl cut down before her life ever really started.

19 hours ago, IpMan said:

A girl from my graduating class was struck and killed by a car three months before graduation. We (I was on the yearbook committee) were able to shoehorn a tribute to her into the yearbook at the 11th hour before we had to send the proof. It turned out very nice and tasteful. At the graduation ceremony the Principal and Valedictorian both mentioned her and both brought tears to everyone. The graduation would have been less and diluted without the mention of this sweet girl cut down before her life ever really started.

Nothing ever wrong with a moment of silence and tribute. 

1 hour ago, the chase said:

Nothing ever wrong with a moment of silence and tribute. 

If the deceased student had a funeral and/or memorial service that should suffice. I mean at some point enough is enough, otherwise you get what we have with the 9/11 attacks..."this year marks the XXth anniversary"...Never been a fan of moments of silence, it comes across as compulsory grieving.  

24 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

If the deceased student had a funeral and/or memorial service that should suffice. I mean at some point enough is enough, otherwise you get what we have with the 9/11 attacks..."this year marks the XXth anniversary"...Never been a fan of moments of silence, it comes across as compulsory grieving.  

The fact is, I never knew the girl who died, never made her acquaintance. However, for those who did it was a very important moment, one that would never be repeated again as this incident only was relevant to this particular class.

I too am no fan of ongoing memorials, just a bit to creepy on the one hand and typically moving into blatant opportunism on the other (9-11).

A recognition doesn't have to be depressing or morbid. My youngest Daughter graduated from college this past weekend. A teacher from her school had died just the week before. To not aknowledge him would have been wrong. There was an empty chair, a tribute and moment of silence. None of this took the mood down at all. Same I think would go for a student. 

Last year, same school, a young girl died in a car accident. Her younger sister accepted her diploma on her behalf.  

These are meaningful and important gestures. 

On 5/11/2017 at 9:51 AM, the chase said:

A recognition doesn't have to be depressing or morbid. My youngest Daughter graduated from college this past weekend. A teacher from her school had died just the week before. To not aknowledge him would have been wrong. There was an empty chair, a tribute and moment of silence. None of this took the mood down at all. Same I think would go for a student. 

Last year, same school, a young girl died in a car accident. Her younger sister accepted her diploma on her behalf.  

These are meaningful and important gestures. 

I agree totally.  They must be recognized.  If it were our kids we would want them recognized for Gods sake

• 7 months later...

Archived