JPJ and JB recorded live

Mr_K

It seems that most soundboards give more prominence to Bonham's drums than Jonses' bass. It was the best rhythm section in rock, but whenever I listen to the band live, I'm usually straining to hear the bass. And the interplay with Bonham is muted.

A few exceptions - such as Millard's 77/06/21 recording, where I can hear the dynamic melody of the bass. And the best interplay with the drums. Some people might not like the Alembic, but at least it's not a "second fiddle" so to speak, in the mix. When I hear other bands' recordings - I'm thinking of Phil Leah with the Grateful Dead - I can clearly hear his excellent bass line through years of live music. It's almost like Jones' bass is snubbed, even by the professional engineers.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Never heard JPJ compared to Phil Lesh, but I like it. A lot. Neither were were second fiddle, neither were low in the mix, I could go on. The 6/21/77 Millard recording does wonders for JPJ and Bonzo, and Page too.

Also, bass in an arena or concert hall can echo like forever. So the acoustics of the arena (if you were there) probably helped JPJ and Bonzo really come through and more audible. 6/23/77 6/25/77 and 6/27/77 are great ones too. If you've ever been in an old school concert arena with bad echo, and a poor mix, its usually (in my experience) because the bass is drowning everything out because its echoing like crazy. Just like boooooooooooooooom... On top of everything else.

RAH is epic. The best thing ever captured on film. Not only for Jones (which it definitely is) but for the everyone. It is an unbeatable recording. How it was never released in full in it's own right is astounding. Same for EC for that matter - but more so for RAH. It does not get any better.

11 hours ago, John M said:

another one to try is June 7, 1977 New York "Magical Sound Boogie".  Listen to IMTOD and enjoy Mr. Jones in all his glory.

That was the best sounding '77 board when it came out, IMO. Since then they've all had more Jonesy and Bonzo, and in recent '77 soundboards you really hear that the alembic wasn't that bad. I prefer it on the opening numbers, Over the Hills, IMTOD, especially.

On 5/9/2017 at 2:42 PM, Mr_K said:

It seems that most soundboards give more prominence to Bonham's drums than Jonses' bass. It was the best rhythm section in rock, but whenever I listen to the band live, I'm usually straining to hear the bass. And the interplay with Bonham is muted.

A few exceptions - such as Millard's 77/06/21 recording, where I can hear the dynamic melody of the bass. And the best interplay with the drums. Some people might not like the Alembic, but at least it's not a "second fiddle" so to speak, in the mix. When I hear other bands' recordings - I'm thinking of Phil Leah with the Grateful Dead - I can clearly hear his excellent bass line through years of live music. It's almost like Jones' bass is snubbed, even by the professional engineers.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I keep saying this and I guess I'll have to keep saying it until I die.

A "soundboard tape" is not mixed or equalized for your home stereo listening pleasure. It is simply a tape recording from the mixing board feed at the concert hall. As such, the mix of the soundboard is determined by what equalization and balance is needed in the concert hall for the band to sound good for the audience.

In one concert hall, that may require the drums and vocals to be pushed higher than the guitar and bass. In another, the guitar and vocals may need a boost more than the drums and bass. In sports arenas like MSG and the LA Forum, it usually didn't require much for Jones' bass to be heard.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived