Would Robert ever consider a tour that featured exclusively on his first five solo albums? I'm probably crazy, but I'd love to see him do this, without any Zeppelin re-works in his set. I know he's not one to do something that's not moving forward, but he has some great songs that really came to life live that seem like a lifetime ago. Hearing something like Pink and Black live, was a real treat the first time I saw him live. Anyone else into that kinda thing?

IMG_1926.JPG

I think the answer to "would he do it?" is no, given that he didn't when he only had those five albums out (he included some Led Zeppelin material). I would prefer a tour that focuses on those first five albums now over anything he does with Strange Sensation, but we already know he won't. So he does what he does with them and I simply don't go. 

No chance he would do it, but I agree that his first three solo albums are his best work, followed closely by the period starting with the Mighty Rearranger.

In those first three albums he was taking chances and was surrounded by excellent musicians who helped realise his bold vision.

Plant had a commercial slump in the mid 80s, panicked, and went back into character again, surrounding himself with technically gifted, but forgettable younger musicians, in what now can be viewed as somewhat of a mid-life crisis.

I don't think he has the voice to do some of those early solo songs well, now. In recent clips I have seen of him, there's a lot of whisper and talking singing.

His voice is still good, but not what it was in the early 80s. Some clips from his first American solo tour are some of the best singing I've heard from him, since the early 70s.

3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

no, given that he didn't when he only had those five albums out... and I simply don't go. 

The artist inside him would entertain the idea, the accountant in him only when it paid well. Which it did not, hence the lukewarm milktoast saga that is his path since Over Europe.

And the whisper and talk singing is not artsy and demure as it is seen in many circles. Saw him bring out the big voice at a show mid last year and it was impressive he just got gassed after that- really gassed.  Even at that he cut phrases and moved the vowels around some so he could get at it.  Which I get- age and lifestyle win.

PA'11 and PoMo to are pretty special LPs. Never bought them on cassette, cd or download. Played traditionally, both had a thread and a point and a delivery.  After that... some points of interest but just no transport or mission- to me.  The follow up to Raising Sand...  It doesn't work when you go from the hand that sews time to the artist clamoring to release an album which no one demands comprised of twisty draped grit-free lilting neuter music that has to draw on the past for any structure and effect.

Lukewarm, milktoast saga it is.

Archived