Hoarding Live Zep. .

Bozoso73

Is this really a thing anymore? 37 years later are there people out there with tapes in their closet saying "no one but me"? I can understand maybe in the 80's/90's but now? Do you guys out there KNOW of a show that will probably never see the light of day? I would have to think the best stuff is out there by now. . 

PS Anyone know where the SBD of 3/21/75 EVSD is releasing came from?? Not that we really need it with the AUD tapes being as killer as they are. . 

THX:):)

I've heard a rumour of a bloke who has a boot of the Denver 26/12/68 show and has hoarded it all these years. Came to bootleg the Fudge and started the tape early. Probably just be a rumour who knows...but for me that one is the one I'd have as my "fantasy boot". Not so much for the performance, though by all accounts it was pretty good, but for the historicness (word?!) of the occasion, and to hear if there were any comments from the crowd near the taper, along the lines of "Led who?" "aw never heard of 'em".

my other fantasy would be any recordings of the Oct / Nov / Dec '68 UK shows turning up, especially the Wood Green Fishmongers Arms gig as I used to live just down the road from there.

On 5/13/2017 at 0:42 PM, geisha78 said:

8.28.71 - New Orleans. Never 

5.19.77 - Baton Rouge. Maybe one day 

On 5/13/2017 at 1:38 PM, Bozoso73 said:

Freezer's show right? 

When Freezer gave the 1977 Baton Rouge show to the head of the Traders Den site in 2008, he gave her the 1971 show as well. Nine years later, we're still waiting...

The Indianapolis '77 show also exists. The dumbass architect behind the whole "Freezer's Revenge" fiasco, a fellow by the name of Adam Harbaugh (aka "Javit" at the Royal Orleans site) claimed to be hoarding it and taunted me with a few private messages at RO about it years ago. That was the end of me at the Hotel because I decided to call him out publicly about it. 

20 hours ago, bcarter690 said:

I've heard the Carnegie Hall 69 show is being hoarded and probably will never see the light of day.

This would be a fantastic show to someday have.

Why this wasn't professionally recorded is beyond me.

46 minutes ago, LedElvis75 said:

This would be a fantastic show to someday have.

Why this wasn't professionally recorded is beyond me.

Couldn't agree more. This show, of all shows, should have been recorded professionally.

I heard it was recorded by a fan and he only would trade it for a "Holy Grail" recording from another band.

1 hour ago, bcarter690 said:

Couldn't agree more. This show, of all shows, should have been recorded professionally.

I heard it was recorded by a fan and he only would trade it for a "Holy Grail" recording from another band.

If that's true then he's a selfish fan of all fans. I mean come on, after 40 years?? 

That show was supposed to feature a legendary Moby Dick. Chris Welch said he never saw him play with such speed and dexterity as that night. Eddie Kramer was supposed to be there as well. Maybe tapes were running? 

59 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

If that's true then he's a selfish fan of all fans. I mean come on, after 40 years?? 

That show was supposed to feature a legendary Moby Dick. Chris Welch said he never saw him play with such speed and dexterity as that night. Eddie Kramer was supposed to be there as well. Maybe tapes were running? 

I also remember hearing about Eddie Kramer being there that night.

Oct 25th, 1969 at the Boston Garden... Hoarded??  We've got a ton of great stuff from Boston... All the Tea Party shows.  The great September 70 and 71 shows. And the 73 show.  I'd be willing to bet the October 25th, 1969 show exists.

And the Carnegie Hall show has always intrigued me.  I mean, the first rock show there in 5 years-at the prestigious Carnegie Hall-and you're NOT going to professionally record it?  And if it is being hoarded that's a damn shame.  The reviews of that show make it sound like that was one KILLER Zeppelin show.

1 hour ago, LedElvis75 said:

Oct 25th, 1969 at the Boston Garden... Hoarded??  We've got a ton of great stuff from Boston... All the Tea Party shows.  The great September 70 and 71 shows. And the 73 show.  I'd be willing to bet the October 25th, 1969 show exists.

And the Carnegie Hall show has always intrigued me.  I mean, the first rock show there in 5 years-at the prestigious Carnegie Hall-and you're NOT going to professionally record it?  And if it is being hoarded that's a damn shame.  The reviews of that show make it sound like that was one KILLER Zeppelin show.

Absolutely. This is one of those instances where I just think , WTF?? Eddie Kramer was obviously available if he attended the show. NY City!!! There were plenty of quality resources available to make a recording of such a historic gig for the band. ?

I love to speculate but I think Eddie Kramer either said he wasn't there, or was somewhere else the same night. If memory serves me right. Not sure though. Carnegie Hall.

Doesn't mean that a soundboard that sounds as good as 4/27/69 doesn't exist though. B)

And regarding 8/28/71, if theres a soundboard from Orlando and Hampton, who's to say there isn't one from New Orleans.

Edited by Dirty Work

31 minutes ago, Dirty Work said:

I love to speculate but I think Eddie Kramer either said he wasn't there, or was somewhere else the same night. If memory serves me right. Not sure though. Carnegie Hall.

Doesn't mean that a soundboard that sounds as good as 4/27/69 doesn't exist though. B)

And regarding 8/28/71, if theres a soundboard from Orlando and Hampton, who's to say there isn't one from New Orleans.

Well, Chris Welch's account is that Kramer said to him " he's a masterful guitar player" during White Summer. Who knows. 

Edited by porgie66

14 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

On 14/05/2017 at 2:42 AM, geisha78 said:

8.28.71 - New Orleans. Never 

5.19.77 - Baton Rouge. Maybe one day 

On 14/05/2017 at 3:38 AM, Bozoso73 said:

Freezer's show right? 

When Freezer gave the 1977 Baton Rouge show to the head of the Traders Den site in 2008, he gave her the 1971 show as well. Nine years later, we're still waiting...

I'd be more interested in the '71 show. '77 was nailed by the Millard tapes. 

Nutrocker - as far as you know is there this much animosity in trading circles in relation to other bands? I've read up on the Freezers Revenge stuff and seen some of the posts between Art (?) and other collectors. I mean, holy fuck!!! It gets real nasty. 

6 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

I'd be more interested in the '71 show. '77 was nailed by the Millard tapes. 

Nutrocker - as far as you know is there this much animosity in trading circles in relation to other bands? I've read up on the Freezers Revenge stuff and seen some of the posts between Art (?) and other collectors. I mean, holy fuck!!! It gets real nasty. 

I have never seen the amount of back stabbing, double dealing all around bad craziness among other bands' trading circles like I have in the Zeppelin community. It's no fucking wonder why the Zep trading community has such a bad name, though to be fair it's getting better. Keep in mind that a lot of this insanity surrounding Freezer's tapes happened ten years ago or more, a lot of the troublemakers have been outed and their names are rightfully mud as a result. Other bands circles -Pink Floyd comes to mind- can get a little bitchy at times but nothing like what goes on in the Zeppelin community. Reading that "Freezer's Revenge" discussion is enough to sour a collector/trader on the whole goddamn hobby. The thing is, by selling those kids his '73 NOLA master tapes Freezer knew exactly what he doing, he did it deliberately and he did it to prove a point, that some of these Zep traders who thought they were big wheels within the community had no integrity whatsoever. 

12 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Well, Chris Welch's account is that Kramer said to him " he's a masterful guitar player" during White Summer. Who knows. 

Thing is, you've got to take the proverbial pinch of salt with anything Chris Welch says - after all, he's the bloke who once published a book claiming that Ozzy Osbourne had made two albums with a band called the Magic Lanterns prior to Sabbath! He even reproduced their lp covers and photos to support his claims - even though your granny could've clearly seen that it wasn't  Ozzy! Not what you'd call a reliable source... 

Edited by Brigante

• Administrators

Eddie Kramer was at Carnegie Hall and took a few photos from the side of the stage. No recording though, as far as I can recall. According to JP, the band missed their flight from London and arrived just a few hours before the show.

2 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

According to JP, the band missed their flight from London and arrived just a few hours before the show.

Sam, if Jimmy said that I believe he is mistaken.

I show that Led Zeppelin, accompanied by Chris Welch, departed Heathrow for New York on Thu, October 16th aboard a TWA B-707, the fastest means of travel in the 1960s. They would have landed in New York later that same day. I show l that after they checked in to the Hilton Hotel, Jimmy was picked up by his pen-pal Ron Kellerman and friend Lord Sutch and driven an hour to Kellerman's residence in Perth Amboy, NJ. The three spent the night there playing albums and discussing music and culture.

Their two shows at Carnegie Hall were the next night (Friday, October 17th at 8:30pm and midnight), and Welch watched those concerts with Lord Sutch, Dr. John and Chris Wood (of Traffic). You pointed out Eddie Kramer was also there. After the show Page & Plant joined Welch at a Jewish-delicatessen to provide him an interview for Melody Maker.

• Administrators

At the time of writing the story in my old Electric Magic fanzine in 1990, Ron assumed it was Carnegie Hall but it was a blur. His sister Denise also didn't recall every seeing Zep at Carnegie Hall. He later realized it could also have been August or Oct. between the 26th and 29th.  Ron (and Denise) saw many NY area Zep shows (and Yardbirds) so it was hard to remember exactly. Lord Sutch literally lived at Ron's house for months at a time, so he was always around. Not sure it solves the mystery, but that's the updated info about that aspect.

JP also did an interview with Ritchie Yorke after the 2nd show.

Here's Jimmy's On This Day where he references missing the flight:

onthisday-1969-10-17.jpg

2 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

At the time of writing the story in my old Electric Magic fanzine in 1990, Ron assumed it was Carnegie Hall but it was a blur. His sister Denise also didn't recall every seeing Zep at Carnegie Hall. He later realized it could also have been August or Oct. between the 26th and 29th.  Ron (and Denise) saw many NY area Zep shows (and Yardbirds) so it was hard to remember exactly. Lord Sutch literally lived at Ron's house for months at a time, so he was always around. Not sure it solves the mystery, but that's the updated info about that aspect.

JP also did an interview with Ritchie Yorke after the 2nd show.

Here's Jimmy's On This Day where he references missing the flight:

onthisday-1969-10-17.jpg

Sam, many thanks for the clarification. I will enter annotations in my files accordingly. Perhaps he stayed at Kellerman's the following week (or the week after that). I show Led Zeppelin reportedly attended The Who's Fillmore East after-party hosted by Bill Graham at Max's Kansas City on Mon, 10/20. I show they reportedly attended a birthday party for a member of the Liverpool Scene at Ugano's (who had been playing there) (date unconfirmed). Only point being they were apparently still in town the following week despite playing shows elsewhere.

On 5/15/2017 at 3:13 AM, Nutrocker said:

The Indianapolis '77 show also exists. The dumbass architect behind the whole "Freezer's Revenge" fiasco, a fellow by the name of Adam Harbaugh (aka "Javit" at the Royal Orleans site) claimed to be hoarding it and taunted me with a few private messages at RO about it years ago. That was the end of me at the Hotel because I decided to call him out publicly about it. 

I read much of that 500 page thread NR and SOOO much flinging of the poo that it was hard to understand who the major bell end was but I recall his name in there. . Would have been great for all those involved in the Freezer nonsense if this guy (if he really has it) put it out there as a gesture of good faith. . MAKE IT RIGHT. . Hell if I had something all the fans were dying to have I wouldnt hesitate to share. . If I recall the 71 BR show didnt come out well and wasnt really worth all the hub-bub (wrong maybe?). . When it came to Javit and your PM's did he tease you with a song or a snippet or was he just a jerk about the whole thing?

3 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

I read much of that 500 page thread NR and SOOO much flinging of the poo that it was hard to understand who the major bell end was but I recall his name in there. . Would have been great for all those involved in the Freezer nonsense if this guy (if he really has it) put it out there as a gesture of good faith. . MAKE IT RIGHT. . Hell if I had something all the fans were dying to have I wouldnt hesitate to share. . If I recall the 71 BR show didnt come out well and wasnt really worth all the hub-bub (wrong maybe?). . When it came to Javit and your PM's did he tease you with a song or a snippet or was he just a jerk about the whole thing?

Harbaugh refused to make things right in the "Freezer's Revenge" saga because he didn't want to give up the identity of who made it public that Freezer's NOLA audience tapes were indeed circulating- he was afraid if he named names it would fuck up his trading status with them. He even admitted as much in the discussion and was rightly smacked down by Freezer and others. 

Apparently Freezer did circulate his '71 NOLA recording to some people but he'd always said that the recording wasn't up to his standard. If it sounds like shit, that might also factor into why it hasn't circulated. That said, I've heard his 1971 NOLA Allman Brothers recording, which is damned fine- if the Zep recording didn't sound like that...

When Harbaugh PM'd me over at RO about the Indianapolis '77 recording, no, he didn't tease me with a sample or anything, just claimed that the discs were "sitting in his garage rotting away" and that the performance or the sound quality really "wasn't anything special". Pure taunting and teasing just the same, the guy's a fucking asshole. I do believe in one discussion or another here a few years back I posted the entire conversation Harbaugh and I had. It pisses me off to this day, to be honest, which sounds fucking stupid 'cos in this day and age there are a helluva lot more important things to be angry about than a hoarded 1977 Led Zeppelin recording, but just the same...