How the west was won

madman0141

6 hours ago, madman0141 said:

Has there been any talk of How the west was won being made into a super Deluxe box set along with the other 2 live albums.(Song remains the Same and the 2007 show?

thanking you in advance.

Mike

Surprised Page hasn't done HTWWW to be honest but it may have copyright issues if he released it with the full encores from the LA show. The Song Remains The Same isn't a live album as such but a soundtrack to the film and the 02 show needs no tweaking - unless he needs the dosh

Fuck that hogwash. All that combining those three shows into one Super Deluxe box will accomplish is make it entirely unaffordable for the average punter...and make it heavier than hell.

In CD terms, you are looking at 7 cds total (3 for HTWWW and 2 each for TSRTS and the O2), but the number of vinyl needed to encompass all three shows would be expensive and need a large and sturdy packing case. Certainly more sturdy than the previous Super Deluxe boxes.

Interestingly enough, Jimmy did not touch any live material regarding the remasters. So, I'm guessing the existing live material released (or new) will get the Jimmy Page mastering touch. (After the Yardbirds at the Anderson Theater is released or the April 68 sessions?) 

I am hoping that is the case.

Live all the way now baby. Each era - it's own release.

69-73 (possibly 2 stand alone releases)

79-80

Super Deluxe. Just fucking imagine it. Video given ultimate latest technology enhancment. Production from heaven. Booklets and information that don't dissapoint. The sound treatment that brings it all to it's 'previously unheard of' fullest potential.

Yeah, I know, dream on.....

But I swear, given enough years, it will happen sooner or later. Might be 50 more years OR MORE from now - but it will happen. Be much better if JP was the driver though.

I'm not sure if the HTWWW mastering is the issue, or if it's the mix. If the latter, it would be a much bigger project to do a reissue that sounded better.

The rare DVD-Audio version's 2-channel stereo track is slightly less congested than the standard CD - almost all the DVD-A tracks register 1dB higher on the Dynamic Range Meter than their CD counterparts. But the DVD-A sounds only modestly better.

Even better is the DVD-A's 5.1 channel surround mix, downmixed to stereo - much more dynamic and open, although it lacks some presence and punch and there's something funky with the relative levels of the center and low-frequency channels when you have your disc player automatically do the mixdown.

The real best version is Winston's unofficial remaster, How the West Was Redone, which he made by taking the 6 surround tracks and doing a custom mix, along with I believe some judicious bass EQ, then mixing in, at a much lower volume level, the original stereo mix to help glue it all together. It's by far the best version, although a bit tough to find "out there" because it doesn't show up much where live bootlegs usually show up, since it contains officially released material and most fans and sites are hesitant to make that type of thing available for download.

In terms of pure sonics, I very much doubt Page and any professional engineer could do much better than Winston did.

And Jimmy will still edit the life and fun out of it by removing all the Plantations and his banter with the band and the audience...not to mention the extraordinary encores.

What really needs to see a stand-alone audio CD and vinyl release is the 1970 Jimmy Page Birthday Show at Royal Albert Hall. It's not always convenient to stick the dvd in when I want to listen to that concert.

How the West Was Won? Ehh, when I desire to listen to that 6.25.72 show my instinct is to put on the bootleg "Burn That Candle". I have rarely played HTWWW lately.

Right now I am listening to the audience recording of Earls Court May 18, 1975 and it strikes me as a more enjoyable and lively-sounding recording than the congested pro-mix of HTWWW.

Yes, HTWWW is professionally messed with, but I am quite satisfied with it as a record of their live performances at that time.  It doesn't replace great bootlegs and other recordings, but its very good.  I love the extended Whole Lotta Love with the 50s rock section in it

Archived