Live at Carnegie Hall, October 17th 1969

Mook

Given the amount of attention this gig is getting on another thread, I thought it deserved one of its own, seemingly one of their great early gigs but so little evidence of it exists. Is this picture from this actual show, was anyone on the forum at the gig & does anyone have anything else to contribute?

Related image
Edited by Mook

On Moby Dick at the Carnegie Hall gig:- "When it came to his full-scale workout, Bonham made good on his promise to be in top form. He summoned a demonic drum solo and flew around the kit with a speed and brute strength that was astounding. I saw Bonham play many more solos over the years but never with quite the same sustained attack."

Chris Welch.

You're right. This gig does deserve its own thread. Given its prestige its an anomaly with such little evidence. The only documents from this gig are two photos ( the one above being one) and I believe I've seen a poster. I'll look for the other photo and post it here when I find it.

There simply HAS to be something more somewhere...a fan's account, photos, and hopefully a recording of some type. Or at least Eddie Kramer's denial that it wasn't recorded.

Is the Chris Welch interview available in print form anywhere? Does he have audio notes from the interview?

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, bcarter690 said:

You're right. This gig does deserve its own thread. Given its prestige its an anomaly with such little evidence. The only documents from this gig are two photos ( the one above being one) and I believe I've seen a poster. I'll look for the other photo and post it here when I find it.

There simply HAS to be something more somewhere...a fan's account, photos, and hopefully a recording of some type. Or at least Eddie Kramer's denial that it wasn't recorded.

Is the Chris Welch interview available in print form anywhere? Does he have audio notes from the interview?

Some fan comments, reviews, ads, ticket, programme etc on the Timeline:

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/october-17-1969

I should have more press if you'd like me to dig them up too.

4 hours ago, bcarter690 said:

I read Chris Welch's account in Keith Shadwick's book 1968-80  The Story Of A Band And Their Music

Holy Shit!!! Is that Jimmy actually reaching out to the audience? I just never imagined he did stuff like that. I guess in those days it was possible because the distance between him and audience was not tremendous.

5 hours ago, Tremelo said:

Holy Shit!!! Is that Jimmy actually reaching out to the audience? I just never imagined he did stuff like that. I guess in those days it was possible because the distance between him and audience was not tremendous.

That is a phenomenal pic.  My God, I wish we had a recording of Moby Dick from this show.  DAMNIT, why wasn't this professionally recorded!!!??????

Its odd that there are only two pictures from this show. Obviously, both photos above were taken by someone with access to the band. I would assume that photographer took more photos than the two we see here. I would also assume that fans brought their own cameras, of course.

Sam-Is it possible to simply ask Eddie Kramer if he was there to record the show?

6 minutes ago, bcarter690 said:

Its odd that there are only two pictures from this show. Obviously, both photos above were taken by someone with access to the band. I would assume that photographer took more photos than the two we see here. I would also assume that fans brought their own cameras, of course.

Sam-Is it possible to simply ask Eddie Kramer if he was there to record the show?

I would think he would have just attended the gig. Over all these years there would have been some mention of  him recording for that show.

It does seem odd that there are so few photographic documents. I mean it's not every day you play Carnegie Hall.

Just now, porgie66 said:

I would think he would have just attended the gig. Over all these years there would have been some mention of  him recording for that show.

It does seem odd that there are so few photographic documents. I mean it's not every day you play Carnegie Hall.

Good point. Its entirely possibly that he simply attended the show as an observer. And you're right; We probably would have heard at least a shadow of a rumor by now.

Its just a bit disappointing that they performed at this prestigious venue and there are very little documents available.

• 8 months later...
On 5/17/2017 at 4:19 AM, Mook said:

Given the amount of attention this gig is getting on another thread, I thought it deserved one of its own, seemingly one of their great early gigs but so little evidence of it exists. Is this picture from this actual show, was anyone on the forum at the gig & does anyone have anything else to contribute?

Related image

Your passionate comments like these are what propelled me in 2014 to find my then 45 year old B&W photos from that October 1969 concert and last month to finally have LZ Webmaster, Sam Rapallo, post them in the LZ Forum for all to enjoy.  Check out the link:

Once again, thank you Sam for your generous effort to give these photos wide exposure to the LZ community fans.  DCR

Edited by drowan

• 2 months later...
On 5/17/2017 at 1:34 PM, bcarter690 said:

bcarter690:  It has now been a little over three months since Sam Rapallo and other such as yourself urged me to post my B&W photos of the Carnegie Hall concert for all to enjoy.  I've been overwhelmed by the LZ community response.  The photos have received over 5,000 visits and more than 125 comments during this relatively brief 90 day period.  I saw your comments contributed in February 2018 as well.  I hope this has lived up to your expectations of trying to uncover more visual evidence from that fantastic concert night.  If only a bootleg recording would surface...one can at least dream a little!  Cheers, DRowan    

• 3 months later...

I've been thinking about the Carnegie Hall show lately. The Carnegie Hall is a prestigious venue. It seemed almost de rigueur for Record Companies to record any of their acts that performed at Carnegie Hall.

Judy Garland Live at Carnegie Hall. Benny Goodman Live at Carnegie Hall. Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane Live at Carnegie Hall. Nina Simone Live at Carnegie Hall. Chicago Live at Carnegie Hall. Harry Belafonte Live at Carnegie Hall. Bob Dylan Live at Carnegie Hall. Even The James Gang recorded their live album at Carnegie Hall. The list of albums recorded at Carnegie Hall is endless.

So how is it Ahmet and Jerry and Atlantic Records let this opportunity to record Led Zeppelin at Carnegie Hall pass them by? It boggles the mind.

20 hours ago, Strider said:

I've been thinking about the Carnegie Hall show lately. The Carnegie Hall is a prestigious venue. It seemed almost de rigueur for Record Companies to record any of their acts that performed at Carnegie Hall.

Judy Garland Live at Carnegie Hall. Benny Goodman Live at Carnegie Hall. Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane Live at Carnegie Hall. Nina Simone Live at Carnegie Hall. Chicago Live at Carnegie Hall. Harry Belafonte Live at Carnegie Hall. Bob Dylan Live at Carnegie Hall. Even The James Gang recorded their live album at Carnegie Hall. The list of albums recorded at Carnegie Hall is endless.

So how is it Ahmet and Jerry and Atlantic Records let this opportunity to record Led Zeppelin at Carnegie Hall pass them by? It boggles the mind.

Every time I think about this missed opportunity I shed a tear.

Edited by LedElvis75
Corrected typo

• 6 months later...

And as a reminder to all on the 50th Anniversary year of this October 17, 1969 concert at Carnegie Hall, the link to its own Forum page is below:

The Carnegie Hall Forum page (cited above), also includes Chris Welch's review of the concert, a taped video interview that includes comments about the concert and many other reviews and historical dimensions of that concert and this incredible first full year of the band's existence in 1969.  In December 1969, Cash Box Magazine showed both of Led Zeppelin's first two albums, LZ I and LZ II, among the "Top 26" best selling albums of that time!!  Wow! 

Edited by drowan

• 6 months later...

As the lead contributor to the Forum page dedicated to the Led Zeppelin 10/17/69, in celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the concert next week on October 17, 2019, I will be adding a "special tribute" to that concert on that Forum page!!  Regards to all, D. Rowan

PLEASE NOTE:  The link to this extensive Forum page is below:

Edited by drowan

• 1 year later...
On 5/17/2017 at 1:45 PM, sam_webmaster said:

Some fan comments, reviews, ads, ticket, programme etc on the Timeline:

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/october-17-1969

I should have more press if you'd like me to dig them up too.

Sam, Mook, and bcarter690:  Thanks to your initial urging and Sam's engaging follow up efforts, the "dedicated" 10/17/69 Carnegie Hall LZ Concert Forum site was created and has since received more than 30,000 visits and hundreds of comments with additional contextual material.  This extensive collection of photos and other postings is a fitting tribute to this memorable and highly pivotal live performance by the band during its early formative years!  Once again, here is a link (below) to this dedicated Forum site for your convenience.  Enjoy!  DRowan