What will be the next Live Led Zeppelin DVD?

The only two 1977 shows that were for sure videotaped were Pontiac and Seattle. The latter is very unlikely to see the light of day. It's a pretty subpar performance overall, not to mention Jimmy looks so strung out. Pontiac on the other hand would definitely be cool to have.

Earl's Court is better than Seattle, but also has issues, mainly with Plant's voice. Rock and Roll in particular suffers from this. Now if videotapes from the other three nights surface, I think Page could easily compile a killer live DVD if he wanted to. Again though, given his reputation for being a perfectionist, I seriously doubt it, since he'd want to "fix" flubs and bum notes.

Then there's Bath which, assuming the video/film hasn't been destroyed, would definitely be killer.

To be honest, though, I'd be surprised if we get any more official video.

What year is Bath? isn't that early on?

Yeah, from what I have seen on Youtube it really depends on the night regarding Plant's voice for Earl's Court. There's some really good sounds during certain nights. 5/25 and one of the first two nights (thinking it's 5/17) seems really good from what I have heard.

47 minutes ago, Chris Smith said:

What year is Bath? isn't that early on?

Yeah, from what I have seen on Youtube it really depends on the night regarding Plant's voice for Earl's Court. There's some really good sounds during certain nights. 5/25 and one of the first two nights (thinking it's 5/17) seems really good from what I have heard.

Bath is 6/28/70. Damn good show if you can stomach the poor audio we have circulating now:

As for Earl's Court, the May 18th is generally considered to be the best (or at least most underrated) performance of the run. Even Plant is in pretty good shape there.

Oh you're right it was 5/18...I was referencing this that i came across recently. was thinking it was 5/17 but was wrong. I am new to the Zep bootleg vibe it's sad to say, but i'm starting to gain an interest. Seems that they have some legendary bootleg culture that's up there if not the best compared to other bands with lots of bootlegs?

I very much doubt there will be a next Live Zep DVD. There's simply not enough compelling footage of really good performances.

However, I do think it's possible there could be an audio-only Earls Court release. With five shows to mix and match, Page can stitch together an excellent performance.

I could see a 3-CD release with a bonus Blu-Ray disc containing higher-res video of the Earls Court section of the 2003 LZ DVD, perhaps with video footage of a few extra songs as a token bonus.

Personally I don't care about video - the 2003 DVD is plenty IMHO. But a professionally mastered, nearly complete Earls Court setlist drawing from the best performances of each song from the five nights - that I would pay good money for. I appreciate the bootlegs we have, but really, only the final night is available in what I would call excellent audio quality right now. (The video soundtrack of the 24th isn't bad, but nowhere near official-release quality.) IMHO the acoustic portion of the DVD's Earls Court section is among the very best Zeppelin in existence, sonics-wise.

Oh - and Bath 1970; apparently the video footage is unusable because it's too dark. But I've never read anything saying that the audio is not salvageable. Would pay good money for an official release of that audio too!

7 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

I very much doubt there will be a next Live Zep DVD. There's simply not enough compelling footage of really good performances.

However, I do think it's possible there could be an audio-only Earls Court release. With five shows to mix and match, Page can stitch together an excellent performance.

I could see a 3-CD release with a bonus Blu-Ray disc containing higher-res video of the Earls Court section of the 2003 LZ DVD, perhaps with video footage of a few extra songs as a token bonus.

Personally I don't care about video - the 2003 DVD is plenty IMHO. But a professionally mastered, nearly complete Earls Court setlist drawing from the best performances of each song from the five nightsthat I would pay good money for. I appreciate the bootlegs we have, but really, only the final night is available in what I would call excellent audio quality right now. (The video soundtrack of the 24th isn't bad, but nowhere near official-release quality.) IMHO the acoustic portion of the DVD's Earls Court section is among the very best Zeppelin in existence, sonics-wise.

Oh - and Bath 1970; apparently the video footage is unusable because it's too dark. But I've never read anything saying that the audio is not salvageable. Would pay good money for an official release of that audio too!

Any idea what nights the 2003 DVD section consist of? That version of In My Time of Dying is perhaps my all time favorite performance. I can't tell how many times I've watched that through the years, but it's definitely at least 1000 easily. When that DVD came out, Surround Sound was brand new, and my family had a big screen TV back then in the basement. I got initiated into the Zeppelin obsession from that DVD release. I would blast that shit at 89 or 90 volume sometimes. It changed my life and I started to really grock their albums from then on.

The CD release you mentioned would definitely be worth the money. I would love to explore all the various nights.

Regarding the salvaging, I heard or read that Page actually cooked the 2003 DVD footage in an oven? I love Page's Esoteric interests, and that is some STRAIGHT UP Alchemy if that's true.

Yeah, I think the half-a-dozen songs Page picked from Earls Court all are fantastic performances, including In My Time of Dying, which definitely is among the very best of the 1975 performances of this track. (They were inconsistent with this track in 1977 - of course - but when they nailed in '77, they really nailed it.)

Interestingly, all the songs on the DVD are taken from the final night, the 25th - except In My Time of Dying, which is from the 24th:

http://thegardentapes.co.uk/dvdec.html

17 minutes ago, Chris Smith said:

That would be great! I'm incredibly new. I'm a gigantic fan, but just haven't gone into the bootleg area thus far for whatever reason. Would appreciate it!

Alright then! I think an excellent start is the Texas International Pop Festival on August 31, 1969. It's an excellent soundboard recording, and the performance is short and tight.

After that there's Live On Blueberry Hill. One of the first Zeppelin bootlegs ever released, and generally considered to have started the bootleg craze for the band.

Next is Burn Like a Candle. An excellent audience recording of one of the two concerts that was used to make How The West Was Won. Includes some tracks that were not included on the live album.

Then there's Offenburg. Considered by many to be the technical peak of Page. The band steps up to the plate to cover for Plant's weak voice and the result is spectacular.

Finally there's Listen to This Eddie. A near perfect audience recording of a phenomenal performance. Bonham in particular is putting on one of the best (if not THE best) shows of his career.

There's many many other fantastic bootlegs, but these are a good start. All have good to excellent sound and the performances are spectacular! Enjoy! :)

Also Montreux 3-7-1970, NYC 09-19-1970 (evening show), Fillmore West 4-27-69 (also 4-26, but 4-27 has much better sound) - and the upcoming Seattle 3-21-1975 soundboard release is going to be epic.

18 hours ago, tmtomh said:

Also Montreux 3-7-1970, NYC 09-19-1970 (evening show), Fillmore West 4-27-69 (also 4-26, but 4-27 has much better sound) - and the upcoming Seattle 3-21-1975 soundboard release is going to be epic.

Where do these soundboards get released? How do people find out about the announcements of such things?

I feel we are more likely to get audio. It might be cool to do a thing like Tom Petty did where he released a 4-CD package of live tunes spread over his entire career. That way Jimmy could pick the best of what he's got rather than focus on one show and spending a zillion hours trying to fix it. Of course, some of this depends on what Jimmy still has in his vaults after the infamous tape theft in the 1980's. One would hope that safeties were made of the live shows that were lost, but I kind of doubt it.

Archived