First memory of Zeppelin?

hahaha - hard to beat that. I am sure some will claim they were conceived to Zep. :hysterical:

Getting stoned as a kid and going for a drive in mates panel van, he asks if I have heard Led Zeppelin.

I had only heard whatever was on the radio before then (Stairway, Black Dog, Rock and Roll).

He puts on TSRTS.

WLL and D&C in particular completely blew my mind. They are such long songs, but so awesome I thought. Pure brilliance. He introduced me to Zep. I have never been the same.

What a TOP bloke Vec was and still is.

My earliest memory of hearing Led Zeppelin was in the early 70s on a desert road in Phoenix in a pickup truck, with "Heartbreaker" playing on the radio. I was in a pickup truck with my uncle driving and my dad, and we just left a convenience store, and we started driving and it was playing on the radio. I remember thinking to myself "wow". I was very young, but that memory stuck with me as my first memory of Led Zeppelin.

Unfortunately my memories are nowhere as cool as yours, being "only" 20 years old, my first memories of LZ is actually from 2012 I believe. I was listening to a playlist of rock song on Spotify I believe, and I heard a tribute version of stairway to heaven, actually a pretty cool one (if you want to hear it, type "out of phase led zeppelin" and look for Stairway to heaven) the singer is actually pretty damn good I think.

I fell in love with the interlude before the solo, so wonderful and simple. Then I typed Led Zeppelin on youtube (Spotify didn't have LZ back then) and every thing make senses, I heard kashmir, immigrant song, Heartbraker, whole lotta love before but never realize how good those song were.

Funny thing : Before looking for LZ on youtube, I heard a bunch of song of Led zepagain (which was on spotify), took me a few days to really appreciate the real Led Zeppelin after week of listening to Led zepagain

My impression too was not all that positive. It was in seventh grade and I heard the 2nd half of Black Dog, on the radio. I

used to listen to all he AM top 40 stations in the 70's before I totally discovered all the great "rock" bands of the 60's and 70's.

Anyway to this day yes I like BD, think the solo is great, but not for me a monumental Zep track. But Kashmir, next,.....such

exotic , mysterious, almost supernatural power, a song of the hidden forces and forgotten mystical powers of past ages.

I was 11 years old walking to my grandparents house in the middle of a Nebraska snow storm.  I was listening to my transistor radio when "Immigrant Song" came on.  I noticed my trudging through the snow was at the same pace as the song and when Robert sang "We come from the land of the ice and snow", I knew they were speaking to me!  I was hooked from that day on.

My dad was a fan ever since they came out but the first time I saw them was watching Brian May of Queen on VH1 selecting his favourite music. He picked Led Zeppelin Dazed and Confused and I was blown away. Around the same time, Remasters was released so I had to buy it, then ever since that was me hooked. 

I was about 10, and my sister 2 years older came back from a dance and she told me about this song that started slow and kept getting faster and faster. The same song was played when I went to my first dance a couple years later, and it was of course Stairway. That would have been around 1978.

I remember when ITTOD was released seeing the racks and racks of brown paper clad albums in a K-Mart, with just the banner "Led Zeppelin" sleeved over them. The mystery and mystic had been planted in my brain. I'd already heard about Led Zeppelin and Devil Worship by then. But I didn't have the money to buy the album, so all I had was the mystic to fester in my brain for another year or so. Then I heard WLL on the radio, and it was finally identified to me as Led Zeppelin on Zeppelin II. I went to a used record shop and bought it, and it was hearing Zeppelin II that made me fall in love with them. Within a week, I went back to that used record store and found a copy of Zeppelin IV, which I bought just because Stairway was on it.

When I first played it, Black Dog came on, and I thought to my self "this is on the album too? Awesome"  And then about 5 minutes later Rock and Roll started up, and I freaked out. These were songs I already knew and liked a LOT, and they were on the same side of the album as Stairway. Then I played side 2, and once again it was a "Holy Shit" moment when each song started. In the span of 40 minutes I had become the hardcore Zeppelin fan I am today, 37 years later. Within a week, I had begged, borrowed, and stolen to get every Zeppelin album available. (Coda was still 2 years away)

I was only 9 in '69.  I remember seeing the first album cover, but never heard anything on it.  My first exposure was "Whole Lotta Love", and it was on AM radio of all places.  My God-fearing parents would turn the station as soon as it started.  Couldn't blame them.  Lol....the transition from "Sugar Sugar" to WLL was too much for anyone from their generation to bear. 

Thanks to the "Great Shakes" commercials during Saturday morning cartoons, and their air-play from singles on AM radio, the Yardbirds were on my map quite early.

I'm not sure what my absolute first memory is, but I have a few early memories to share.

I recall seeing a big display of Zeppelin records at a K Mart in 1975-ish. I was 5 or so years old and had recently seen this movie about the Hindenburg. I'm sure the movie was awful, but it made me a little obsessed with zeppelins for a while. So I was at K Mart with my mom and I see a big display of Led Zeppelin albums and Zeppelin I naturally caught my eye, and I begged my mom to get me one. I didn't even know what it was, but it had the Hindenburg on it so I wanted it. I often wonder what I, as a 5 year old, would have thought of that record had my mom relented and bought it for me.

I also remember hearing Whole Lotta Love on the radio now and then. I was very young, young enough that the psychedelic part would kinda scare me.

Finally, I remember seeing the image below in one of the Chicago newspapers we'd get. I must have only been 3 or 4 years old at the time, but I remember staring at the picture for the longest time. I wish I'd cut it out and saved it.

tampa73_record.jpg

im 38, i got into led zep in early 90s when i was about 12 or 13. i was a casual music fan at that time, i actually liked rap, de la soul, arrested development, etc. and some of the 80s hair bands, poison bon jovi, etc. but wasnt music obsessed. anyway 1 afternoon im in my bedroom with my brother and he puts in a tape and these songs come on. 1 after the other it was the most incredible music id ever heard in my life. i had no idea who or what it was. i ask my brother "who is this"? he says "guess". i think i said billy joel haha. anyway he says led zeppelin. i couldnt believe it. i heard of them but thought they were just a heavy metal band. it was a led zep mix tape named "best of led zepp". i still remember that tape to this day, it basically changed my life. it was the same track list as the box set that came out in 1990 disc 1 and 2 give or take a few songs so someone must have made a copy of it for my brother. 

my favorite thing about my discovery of their music is that i wasnt told about them or pre influenced to like them, like "check these guys out led zeppelin theyre 1 of the greatest bands ever". it literally could have been any band on that tape, i had absolutely no idea who it was, but i knew it was the greatest music id ever heard in my life up to that point. and it still is. 

My first memories of Zeppelin were my dad playing Rock N' Roll on guitar when I was a little kid, which I instantly wanted to learn, and after listening to them play the song I was drawn in, this was when I was probably 10-11 years old. After this I started listening to them more, got a their greatest hits album and subsequently liked them even more.

What really changed my life as a musician was getting the DVD with The Royal Albert Hall show on it. I was forever in love, captivated and enchanted by their chemistry, their energy, their sound. After this I needed all of their albums and they really became my absolute favorite band.

• 2 weeks later...

Mid-1980s. Copy of an original Physical Graffiti 2LP in the house, belonged to my sister's then boyfriend. I somehow fixated on side two for months, with HOTH, TU and Kashmir - listening to those three songs over and over. Then, one day, I tried side one... and was forever changed by the drumming in IMTOD. Sides three and four swiftly followed and the rest, they say, is history...

My older brother brought home Physical Graffiti back in 1985 or so and had Kashmir BLARING in his room.  I was 10/11 at the time.  Got me very interested in it.  Then knowing how much I LOVED the drums as a kid he let me listen to Bonzo's Montreux from Coda, and that was it.  Hook, line and SINKER.  Have been worshipping at the altar of John Bonham ever since.

20 hours ago, FavouriteTipple said:

Mid-1980s. Copy of an original Physical Graffiti 2LP in the house, belonged to my sister's then boyfriend. I somehow fixated on side two for months, with HOTH, TU and Kashmir - listening to those three songs over and over. Then, one day, I tried side one... and was forever changed by the drumming in IMTOD. Sides three and four swiftly followed and the rest, they say, is history...

I didn't even read this before I posted mine.  I swear!  Very similar introductions for us.

Mine was a few years ago I'd started to listen to them but before that I'd never actually cared. Then I heard Dazed and Confused on YouTube and said to myself "This probably is the greatest thing since sliced bread". That led (pun intended) me to listen to all there older stuff as I slowly creeped towards the later albums. I also remember listening to How Many More Times and was baffled. 

3 hours ago, sarapage said:

Back seat of my mom's car, with my little sister, in the 70s and jamming to Fool In The Rain!!

Archived