New Bath '70 Video?

Walter

45 minutes ago, achillestand said:

The main problem for me is that even if audio/video are of enough good quality, JP will take 10 years to release it.

This is where we're at now. Salivating over 30 minutes of dark, silent footage with no credible soundtrack.

Meanwhile, Pink Floyd fans are getting ready for the middle years boxset, which will be a huge tomb of musical treats.

Damn you Peter Grant for being such a good manager - it's left us Zep fans with not much official content to watch or to listen to! :(

1 hour ago, Boleskinner said:

This is where we're at now. Salivating over 30 minutes of dark, silent footage with no credible soundtrack.

Meanwhile, Pink Floyd fans are getting ready for the middle years boxset, which will be a huge tomb of musical treats.

Damn you Peter Grant for being such a good manager - it's left us Zep fans with not much official content to watch or to listen to! :(

Wise man said "eventualy your strength will become your weakness". In their pomp, the lack of tv or filmed footage was a strength - to experience the Zeppelin you had to get an album or a ticket.

But now the lack of archive stuff in the online age, has left Zeppelin with less of a footprint than other, inferior, bands.

I still wonder whether Page will magically find something in his vaults "well Robbie Williams' builders caused a wall in my basement to fall down and behind it I found footage of Bath '70, a full photo archive of Carnegie Hall '69 and a soundboard of Baton Rouge 1977. Would you believe it!!"

1 hour ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

haha yeah, a strong contender for worst sound quality, unfortunately.

Bath is definitely far from ideal, especially if one is new to bootlegs. I wouldn't say it's the worst sound-quality wise though, by any means. One definite contender for the worst sound quality is Denver 1970. Not only is the tape VERY muffled and distant, but it has this weird tape bleed in the left channel that sounds like a duplicate of what the band is playing, except it's a few seconds ahead. It's a painful listen, check it out:

26 minutes ago, 76229 said:

I still wonder whether Page will magically find something in his vaults "well Robbie Williams' builders caused a wall in my basement to fall down and behind it I found footage of Bath '70, a full photo archive of Carnegie Hall '69 and a soundboard of Baton Rouge 1977. Would you believe it!!"

Love it! :hysterical:

It's great finally getting some details on the Whitehead Bath Festival footage.    But sadly the Zeppelin curse may have struck here.  

Page did mention about 20-30 minutes of Bath footage when putting together the DVD but he said they wanted too much for what it was.  

Know we know that Whitehead got to the performance late.   Their performance started in daylight but ended in darkness.  So the story of using daylight filmstock in the dark could be the truth.  Sadly it sounds like it's a lot of backstage footage and probably a lot less concert footage.  So, too bad it won't be a complete concert like the January RAH concert   

It will be beautiful to see of course (hopefully one day).  

Speaking of Pink Floyd musical treats

Always assumed the Zeppelin footage was from the same batch, it fits the bill. Hope thats not the case and its better than this, even if its not in color. Mind you, this is the day before. Not sure what time they went on but it looks like midnight... lol

Imagine Zeppelin on an crap audio recording like that, too. Hey, at least they'd be in tune.

3 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

This was posted at the Hotel by GL.   Its the first mention of a "soundtrack" for the Bath Festival.   

There isn't much evidetnce at all that they recorded the concert but with this quote here, it sounds possible they did.  

IMG_4177.JPG

So if this is true then it makes sense that a multi track recording should have taken place if the intention was to film the show. Why would they only film without audio? Wonder why they weren't happy with the soundtrack ?  Whatever the reason, it must be in Jimmy's possession. Can you imagine a cleaned up release of this show's audio??  This would be Plant at his peak, and the band just destroying every tune. ,?

21 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

No middle years box set in the pipeline I'm afraid. It was already covered by the Immersion box sets. We are hoping for an animals release but it's nothing more than speculation.

1 hour ago, kayley10 said:

No middle years box set in the pipeline I'm afraid. It was already covered by the Immersion box sets. We are hoping for an animals release but it's nothing more than speculation.

My general point is that with the early years Box Set and various other releases, Floyd fans, have been spoiled with archive releases, in comparison to Zep fans.

I thought the companion discs would be the Mother-lode but it turned out to be Scotch mist. 

On 2017-5-30 at 2:12 PM, Boleskinner said:

My general point is that with the early years Box Set and various other releases, Floyd fans, have been spoiled with archive releases, in comparison to Zep fans.

I thought the companion discs would be the Mother-lode but it turned out to be Scotch mist. 

Bollocks! We Floyd fans are still waiting for the Animals soundboard recordings and the Wall 1981 footage. The Early Years was a step in the right direction but we haven't had anything like this before. At least there's a lot of Zeppelin footage in bootleg circles (Earls Court two nights complete, Seattle complete, Knebworth two nights complete) and a shitload of soundboard audio also in bootleg circles.

The only professional Floyd concert footage from 1973-1977 currently circulating is a badly synched three minute clip from Knebworth 1975. The only professional audio from 1973-1977 is Wembley 1974 and half a soundboard recording from San Diego 1975.

What I really find a wheeze is when Who fans complain about not having enough material...

10 minutes ago, kayley10 said:

The Early Years was a step in the right direction.

25 hours worth of material in seven volumes with CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays, vinyl, and memorabilia.

And you're still not happy.

Zep fans would kill for an official release of that magnitude.

23 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

25 hours worth of material in seven volumes with CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays, vinyl, and memorabilia.

And you're still not happy.

Zep fans would kill for an official release of that magnitude.

Don't get me wrong. The Early Years is incredible.

I checked it out, I love some pink floyd, early guitarist and later "guitar player", but. (To be fair I love Gilmour but he's not the guitar god type) Nothing against Pink Floyd here... But if Zeppelin put out a box set of 1968-1980 on a disc for each year, it would be 10,001 times better than the PF years collection. It was good but I don't see why it was released. Anything Zeppelin did can be released. Period.

22 hours ago, Dirty Work said:

I checked it out, I love some pink floyd, early guitarist and later "guitar player", but. (To be fair I love Gilmour but he's not the guitar god type) Nothing against Pink Floyd here... But if Zeppelin put out a box set of 1968-1980 on a disc for each year, it would be 10,001 times better than the PF years collection. It was good but I don't see why it was released. Anything Zeppelin did can be released. Period.

Whatever happened to differing tastes?

On 5/29/2017 at 11:25 PM, Dirty Work said:

Speaking of Pink Floyd musical treats

Always assumed the Zeppelin footage was from the same batch, it fits the bill. Hope thats not the case and its better than this, even if its not in color. Mind you, this is the day before. Not sure what time they went on but it looks like midnight... lol

Imagine Zeppelin on an crap audio recording like that, too. Hey, at least they'd be in tune.

This is probably the best we could hope for at this point bro.    This surely is from a video made with the big studio cameras that can be seen on the side of the stage.  This was probably the video shown on the B&W screens present at Bath.  The fading back and forth between cameras would only be possible with a studio video mixer and studio equipment.  

From photo evidence it looks like Grant did not allow the various film or video crews to shoot Zeppelin.   Probably thinking they had their own crew filming.  

But at this point the best hope we have for a Zeppelin Bath video is something like this where possibly one camera was running and recording and capturing the event   

3 hours ago, Dirty Work said:

Ah so its probably not like the Pink Floyd Bath footage then. Thats good news.

No, maybe I was not clear.  I think the only hope for any Zeppelin Bath Festival footage is for something exactly like the Pink Floyd footage.  The Pink Floyd footage was probably the feed that was shown on the screens at the Festival.  Done with two cameras and an onsite TV studio switcher.  

I'm just saying if there is an possibility of footage it would be from a source like this, but it is pretty well known from the cameramen present at the Festival and other sources that Grant and Zepp''s security made sure people were not shooting Zeppelin when they were playing.   Here are the B&W cameras that were shooting and being projected on the screens.

1970.jpg

7 hours ago, LedElvis75 said:

I'll never have any need to watch that Pink Floyd Bath footage EVER again.  Yuk.

Polar opposites IMO. Pink Floyd is 90% filler, Zeppelin is 10% filler (or less).

^And regarding the screens/mounted cameras, I was under the impression they weren't in use during Zeppelin's set. Maybe I'm wrong.

Interesting throwback site about Bath, and film. Lots of claims made, such as "footage of Zeppelin performance exists", "as many as 20 reels exist of festival", says "Zappa performance has camera on stage with no operator" "30 mins of color Zeppelin footage but Jimmy wouldn't pay the asking price" etc etc. Who knows. Lots of stuff here and most of it seems pretty accurate based on other reports.

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/bathvideo.html

main site:

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/bA1.html

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com

Ps. That site also says Bath footage is in the Whole Lotta Love promo, but its not, not entirely accurate. Many points I believe to be accurate, as I said, they at least line up with other claims regarding Bath.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2017 at 8:10 PM, Sticks of Fire said:

This was posted at the Hotel by GL.   Its the first mention of a "soundtrack" for the Bath Festival.   

There isn't much evidetnce at all that they recorded the concert but with this quote here, it sounds possible they did.  

IMG_4177.JPG

I know I posted this but to play Devils advocate...the quote in the article about the band not being happy with the soundtrack could be in reference only for the RAH show.  Seems like with the end of the audio reels cutting off Heartbreaker and possibly missing parts of Thank You, Since I've Been Loving You maybe they "unhappy with the soundtrack" meant the RAH recording missing pieces of the performance. 

I say this because there still is zero concrete evidence of a Bath multitrack or even a simple soundboard.  

Archived