New Bath '70 Video?

Walter

RAH is fine, Bath nope.  HTTWW project approached both and Bath was a no go.

I have heard over the years "no evidence" and that is simply not the case. And as a caution just because a recording is circulated as a "soundboard" does not mean it is a sb or "the" soundboard.  A great many recordings being circulated with the sb label is not.

28 minutes ago, Dallas Knebs said:

RAH is fine, Bath nope.  HTTWW project approached both and Bath was a no go.

I have heard over the years "no evidence" and that is simply not the case. And as a caution just because a recording is circulated as a "soundboard" does not mean it is a sb or "the" soundboard.  A great many recordings being circulated with the sb label is not.

Have you seen or heard of concrete evidence that Bath was multitracked or even recorded as a soundboard recording?  I haven't.  

Actually, theres a good thread over at RO public section about this, which makes the case that any pre-1971 with extra microphones on stage was likely recorded. For example, LA '70 Blueberry Hill show didn't have microphones on Page's or JPJ's amps (I know right? How the hell did that work?), Bath 1970 did have extra mics on stage. Go check it out, it makes a good argument. I've always looked to photo evidence to wonder and slobber over whether theres unheard soundboards (or course there are), 9/28/71 and 9/29/71 are the best examples. I mean, you look at those pics and you just KNOW they're recording.

Then again, you can look at Woodstock '69 festival and don't see many extra mics, but that was in fact multi tracked by Eddie Kramer, so... Idk. ;)

Gave Bath '70 audience recording another listen recently, and IMO its really a lot looser than the Royal Albert Hall performance. First song is a lil rough, Roberts trying to improv but doesn't do so well. The band tightens up as the show goes on, but I could see how Jimmy would overlook it. SIBLY, usually a song they played flawlessly, is kinda early-Jimmy-slop ridden.

^ that thread also mentions the November 1969 Winterland shows as possible soundboard recordings, which IMO (if they sound as good as 4/27/69) would make an excellent official release.

HOLY GRAIL MATERIAL, 11/6 and 11/7/1969

Can you imagine? Could only be bested by a 9/19/70 soundboard(s)

Also I think they did a soundcheck and rehearsal for Royal Albert Hall, 1970, if i remember correctly. Didn't at Bath.

Sure bands were recording and filming at Bath but zero facts and evidence of a Zeppelin recording.

Im very much a historian when I approach things and for some things like a professional Bath Zeppelin recording there just isnt evidence posted on any forum this proves it.  I'm saying this all ligh hearted and not arguing.  Just saying real fact of evidence via pictures or reels or sound samples, etc.still have never been shown. 

38 minutes ago, Sticks of Fire said:

Sure bands were recording and filming at Bath but zero facts and evidence of a Zeppelin recording.

Im very much a historian when I approach things and for some things like a professional Bath Zeppelin recording there just isnt evidence posted on any forum this proves it.  I'm saying this all ligh hearted and not arguing.  Just saying real fact of evidence via pictures or reels or sound samples, etc.still have never been shown. 

Sure, we can look at things in terms of probability, but with Zeppelin you always have to factor in the distinct chance of a curveball.

For instance, nobody predicted the Pod, Pod track from Presence, and I'm sure there are private collectors out there hoarding gems, wallowing in private showings of footage we have never seen.

As a long time Zeppelin fan I've learnt to never say, never—the band is a capricious beast.

And in my few years of collecting I doubted there was a 9/29/71 soundboard, then I realized I was listening to it all along, then next thing I know 9/28 Black Dog comes out in perfect quality.

Damn right bet a few reading this have heard the Bath sbd/multi 

31 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

distinct chance of a curveball.

For instance, nobody predicted the Pod, Pod track from Presence, and I'm sure there are private collectors out there hoarding gems, wallowing in private showings of footage we have never seen.

As a long time Zeppelin fan I've learnt to never say, never—the band is a capricious beast.

truth

I know of 3 hoarders who from time to time will place something at auction and at the last moment withdraw the item(s).  Personal experience with all 3, one in West Palm, one in LaJolla, one in Montreal.  Wonderful people, just irrational when it comes to letting go its almost as if they are betraying some high call to conserve the moment.  Really odd.

40 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

Sure, we can look at things in terms of probability, but with Zeppelin you always have to factor in the distinct chance of a curveball.

Absolutely agree.  St Tristan's Sword was another total surprise, at least to me.  Capricious beast indeed. 

private hoarders...very strange indeed. Eyes Wide Shut. 

8 hours ago, Dallas Knebs said:

truth

I know of 3 hoarders who from time to time will place something at auction and at the last moment withdraw the item(s).  Personal experience with all 3, one in West Palm, one in LaJolla, one in Montreal.  Wonderful people, just irrational when it comes to letting go its almost as if they are betraying some high call to conserve the moment.  Really odd.

This proves or provides evidence of a Bath multitrack?  How so?

Everyone knows someone with something.  We've all heard this  for twenty to thirty years about hoarders and 99.99% is never true.  

8 hours ago, Dirty Work said:

And in my few years of collecting I doubted there was a 9/29/71 soundboard, then I realized I was listening to it all along, then next thing I know 9/28 Black Dog comes out in perfect quality.

Damn right bet a few reading this have heard the Bath sbd/multi 

No surprises here at all.   We all knew the Osaka Japan shows were recorded and we have been listening to a rough mix down of the 9/29 professional recording since the 1980s.  

• 4 weeks later...

There's an online paper about the Bath 1970 unearthed film here:

http://teamrock.com/feature/2017-07-19/getting-the-inside-story-behind-led-zeppelins-lost-film

Unseen film of Led Zeppelin playing at the 1970 Bath Festival – thrown away nearly 50 years ago, and widely thought to be lost – has been unearthed in a British university film archive. Experts are now hoping to digitally restore the footage, and it’s hoped that it will be released to mark the 50th anniversary of what is widely considered to be one of the most important performances of the band’s career.

The 1970 Bath Festival Of Blues And Progressive Music (which took place not in Bath, but close by in Shepton Mallet) was a two-day event featuring Zeppelin, who headlined the Saturday, Pink Floyd, The Byrds, Santana, Johnny Winter, Canned Heat and many more.

Does anyone has access to the remaining article, please?

On 21/7/2017 at 2:19 PM, seaweed gate said:

There's an online paper about the Bath 1970 unearthed film here:

http://teamrock.com/feature/2017-07-19/getting-the-inside-story-behind-led-zeppelins-lost-film

Unseen film of Led Zeppelin playing at the 1970 Bath Festival – thrown away nearly 50 years ago, and widely thought to be lost – has been unearthed in a British university film archive. Experts are now hoping to digitally restore the footage, and it’s hoped that it will be released to mark the 50th anniversary of what is widely considered to be one of the most important performances of the band’s career.

The 1970 Bath Festival Of Blues And Progressive Music (which took place not in Bath, but close by in Shepton Mallet) was a two-day event featuring Zeppelin, who headlined the Saturday, Pink Floyd, The Byrds, Santana, Johnny Winter, Canned Heat and many more.

Does anyone has access to the remaining article, please?

I was about to post the same thing. Maybe we can get Sam answer if the "and it’s hoped that it will be released to mark the 50th anniversary " phrase is just speculation or there is some truth behind it...

11 minutes ago, zeplz71 said:

Not a great scan but it's the whole article from Classic Rock. Same stuff we heard about already.

bath-article - Copy.jpg

You beat me to it, I was not going to buy the Latest CR, then I changed my mind so that I could post that page here, now I've no need to post my pic, one CR mag headed for the recycling bin..

What are the chances of them getting a good sound recording to marry up with the footage, through all the copyright red tape & something released for the 50th anniversary of the festival?

I can't see Led Zeppelin releasing footage that lasts for 30 minutes to be honest so I'm not massively hopeful, wouldn't be worth making a new DVD/blu ray, would it. Unless maybe it was bonus footage on an Earls Court release or something...

24 minutes ago, Mook said:

I can't see Led Zeppelin releasing footage that lasts for 30 minutes to be honest so I'm not massively hopeful, wouldn't be worth making a new DVD/blu ray, would it. Unless maybe it was bonus footage on an Earls Court release or something...

Maybe the second option. It would also be interesting to have an official LZ history rockumentary, which has never been done.

It would also be nice that PAge would sign a deal with Eagle records to make a "classic album" thing. There you can choose from so many...LZ I, LZ II, LZ IV, PG...

16 hours ago, achillestand said:

Maybe the second option. It would also be interesting to have an official LZ history rockumentary, which has never been done.

It would also be nice that PAge would sign a deal with Eagle records to make a "classic album" thing. There you can choose from so many...LZ I, LZ II, LZ IV, PG...

YES! I've suggested the "Classic albums" idea and a rockumentary in other threads on this site. Just imagine it. Would not only satisfy us die hards, it would be fucking brilliant for general consumption.

Zeppelin had/have a mystique with the average punter. IT WOULD RATE.

A proper doco with some direction from someone of the calibre of Cameron Crow. Now THAT would make a cracking good short series (could extensively cover Zeps career and phases, broken up into 6, 10 or 12 episodes). Have themes like periods of touring, periods of recording (the different albums), 1 ep on Mr Grant, the great man himself, TONS of info and anecdotes. Could/would be EPIC if done right (and can be IMHO) without being too exclusive for only real hard fans. Could touch on the nostalgia of the '70's itself and how different that world was.

Accompanied by staggered releases of period live stuff. Early 70-72, Earls Court, some '77, and a full Knebworth with cd bonus disks with a compilation of the best of Over Europe 1980.

BOOM!!!

THAT is what the lads should be discussing for the 50th.

IT WOULD WORK!!!!

17 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

YES! I've suggested the "Classic albums" idea and a rockumentary in other threads on this site. Just imagine it. Would not only satisfy us die hards, it would be fucking brilliant for general consumption.

Zeppelin had/have a mystique with the average punter. IT WOULD RATE.

A proper doco with some direction from someone of the calibre of Cameron Crow. Now THAT would make a cracking good short series (could extensively cover Zeps career and phases, broken up into 6, 10 or 12 episodes). Have themes like periods of touring, periods of recording (the different albums), 1 ep on Mr Grant, the great man himself, TONS of info and anecdotes. Could/would be EPIC if done right (and can be IMHO) without being too exclusive for only real hard fans. Could touch on the nostalgia of the '70's itself and how different that world was.

Accompanied by staggered releases of period live stuff. Early 70-72, Earls Court, some '77, and a full Knebworth with cd bonus disks with a compilation of the best of Over Europe 1980.

BOOM!!!

THAT is what the lads should be discussing for the 50th.

IT WOULD WORK!!!!

Dream on, it'll never happen.

Archived