New Bath '70 Video?

Walter

1 hour ago, rm2551 said:

YES! I've suggested the "Classic albums" idea and a rockumentary in other threads on this site. Just imagine it. Would not only satisfy us die hards, it would be fucking brilliant for general consumption.

Zeppelin had/have a mystique with the average punter. IT WOULD RATE.

A proper doco with some direction from someone of the calibre of Cameron Crow. Now THAT would make a cracking good short series (could extensively cover Zeps career and phases, broken up into 6, 10 or 12 episodes). Have themes like periods of touring, periods of recording (the different albums), 1 ep on Mr Grant, the great man himself, TONS of info and anecdotes. Could/would be EPIC if done right (and can be IMHO) without being too exclusive for only real hard fans. Could touch on the nostalgia of the '70's itself and how different that world was.

Accompanied by staggered releases of period live stuff. Early 70-72, Earls Court, some '77, and a full Knebworth with cd bonus disks with a compilation of the best of Over Europe 1980.

BOOM!!!

THAT is what the lads should be discussing for the 50th.

IT WOULD WORK!!!!

Judging Plant's reluctance to discuss his past with the band it would be highly unlikely he would participate in any documentary. His "tales on the road" programme with BJ had a chance but as usual his piss taking became dull and predictable. 

I believe this is the reason why there has never been a programme about the band

1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

Judging Plant's reluctance to discuss his past with the band it would be highly unlikely he would participate in any documentary. His "tales on the road" programme with BJ had a chance but as usual his piss taking became dull and predictable. 

I believe this is the reason why there has never been a programme about the band

Yeah, I would be as stunned as the next person if anything even close was to happen. But what I am suggesting is it could and WOULD, with proper people at the helm, be something absolutely special, and a great success.

More is the pity, but as I say, one can dream....

22 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

Yeah, I would be as stunned as the next person if anything even close was to happen. But what I am suggesting is it could and WOULD, with proper people at the helm, be something absolutely special, and a great success.

More is the pity, but as I say, one can dream....

I completely agree with you. Every Friday BBC 4 have docs about music. So many bands have been showcased except one. Why is that? 

Scenario:

Q: So Robert, let me take you back to that 1st Jam session when Jimmy cranked up Train Kept A Rollin'. How did that feeling move you?

A:  It was alright. The musicians were good - I think. Oh did I mention I have a new album coming out? Best musicians I have ever played with EVER.

Q: Yes Robert, but that small rehearsal room. The vibe?

A: As I said it was OK. Not like The Sensational Shapewhatevers. Now I am talking vibes. Thankfully no screaming, no women's clothes or songs about Vikings

Q: Bath Festival/LA Forum 1970. Band on fire. Iconic shows. What do you remember about those early tours?

A: Hated it. Oh those long arduous, repetitive loud shows. Now did I mention I have a new album coming out? Best musicians ............ :blahblah::blahblah:

Q: I'd like to take you back to when Jimmy strummed the first notes of Stairway to Heaven and you (apparently) rolled the words off just like that. Did you feel that there was a classic in the making?

A: Ask Jimmy. I can't remember that at all. Maybe I was waking the dog or had gone to bed with all the boredom. Did I mention that I have a new album coming out?

Q: :wall:

Q: Thanks very much for you illuminating input Robert. One last thing.....................

A: The best ever band I have ever been with are playing Stourbridge Scout hut next week. Come and see what a real band is like.

Has Robert Plant ever said the musicians he plays with now are better musicians than Led Zeppelin were?

Personally I don't blame him for not wanting to do documentaries about the 70s when he's making new music all the time, he's moved on.

9 minutes ago, Mook said:

Has Robert Plant ever said the musicians he plays with now are better musicians than Led Zeppelin were?

Personally I don't blame him for not wanting to do documentaries about the 70s when he's making new music all the time, he's moved on.

Firstly I am doing this with my tongue firmly attached to my cheek. The tone of the "interview" is to basically say he ain't interested - he never says any thing positive about his past - that's his prerogative of course

I supposed it's like a documentary on England winning the 1966 world cup and Geoff Hurst not appearing because he is, cough, cough, parking the car

2 hours ago, Mook said:

Geoff Hurst probably wouldn't do the interview because he knows it was a bent Russian Linesman that gifted them the cup.

No, no, no, no, not the cup, just that goal, it wasn't quite over then.  Ah well at least that cup has been on this Island, wrong side of the border for you eh Mook  ;).

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, 76229 said:

Does anyone know what he means by ASA? Presumably something technical designed to cope with filming in falling light levels??

In plain English, the Bath footage was severely underexposed; Cameramen used the wrong filmstock.

ASA stands for American Standard Association -the American counterpart of the German/European DIN/ISO scale. If you look closely at a roll or canister of analog photographic/cinematographic  film (Eastman KODAK or FUJIFilm, for instance) you will notice a set of numbers. One is typically preceded by ASO (or ISO) and that one indicates the sensitivity or speed of the filmstock. 25, 50, 64, 100, 125, 200 and 400 being the more common ones used. ASA 25, 50, 64 up to 200 you need plenty to normal levels of daylight or tungsten( artificial) light. ASA 400 (often cranked up to 800 or 1600) would be the type of filmspeed you need for concerts or festivals. The Albert Hall footage suffered from the same problem, inapt choice of film sensibility. That's why it was deemed useless for three decades. Only in the digital age, this underexposed footage -within reasonable margins- could be processed/enhanced so we can enjoy this material. 

Off the record, even today's consumer or pro digital SLR or point and shoot camera still uses this ASA (100, 200 or 400 framework)  to help you in lower light situations, although camera's uses a digital sensor and no analog filmB).

The box shown here includes 100FT/30m of negative color emulsion with a film speed of 50, daylight... something you would use on a sunny day outside, but not to capture Zep's evening show at Bath

16mm can.jpg

• 1 year later...

Archived