So what live release would YOU endorse?

rm2551

There's plenty of chat here (I love it) about live material, bootlegs, what there is in the vault, possible live release scenarios, etc.

Most of the chat is around what Jimmy will or will not allow released, and what would be veto'd by Robert.

So lets look at it from another angle.

Jimmy, furiously (not angrily, just at great speed) reading through these here pages, has the sudden realisation that hell yes! the fans DO deserve another live album or two. But alas, what to do? And in a lightbulb moment of clarity, he decides to leave it to one lucky punter who has impressed him with their wit, insight, and general Zeppelin appreciation. Robert and Jonesy are on board.

Lucky YOU! He contacts you and after repeatedly slapping yourself to ensure it's no dream, you have decided you will indeed take the plunge and suggest what should be released, officially, next. Jimmy is all ears and YOUR suggestions will be the start of a project!!!! :yay:

No fantasy stuff, just what is known or "likely" to exist and be suitable.

Me: (*I am going to CHEAT since I had the damn idea!) I'll go all in. The studio vaults were "cleaned out" for the re-issues. I'd do an Anthology type release program that included gigs from every era (like the Zep DVD) but more complete. Lots of lovely artwork and liner notes etc. Lovely deluxe packaging with lots to look at as well as listen to.

Releases...

69-71

72-73

79-80.

So 5 staggered releases. Could be double or triple CD's, whatever is needed for that particular show. Could be a mix of shows or "runs" like LA Forum June '77. They would be staggered over 12-15 months so each release was worked up and restored to maximum levels. Keeping us die hards in heaven for the next year or more. As there is not a lot of video other than what is already out there, I'd go for video to count as "Bonus Extra" content like DVD's. Seattle restored and released for '77 for example. Maybe sync'd to other shows if that suits.

*see? I cheat. Light on detail. I don't have the intimate knowledge of quality boots that others do, so I'll let YOU be more specific with what you think would constitute a cracking good next Led Zeppelin Live album release.

SO, what is your suggestion for exactly what should be released next?

I would be happy with releases where the sound is good and the performance is also good.  Now, performance is always good  and always of interest to us fans.  But even a spectacular show will not be well received if the audio quality is poor.

The "brussels" album by the Rolling Stones is so great as it's awesome in both categories (sonic quality and artistry)

so basicallyt I would be thrilled with any live release that is good in both areas.  You also want a show to be complete and free of drop offs, interruptions, or sudden ends to tracks.

Nothing after 1973 would interest me, I would of course purchase anything from a later date if only for completion purposes, one cannot have gaps in ones collection can one...

Hate to be that guy, but there's already a thread about this:

That being said, there's three that I'd consider. If I had to pick one show to hear for an official release, it would be a complete, unaltered, remastered soundboard for 6/19/72. I'd hesitate though, because to the casual fans, this would be very similar to HTWWW in terms of track listing.

Another possibility would be an LA 77 box set, or perhaps a "best of" release that would be a matrix with the Millard recordings if possible. Even though 77 soundboards are notoriously flat, I could definitely foresee being able to do some studio magic (and by that I just mean remixing, NOT overdubbing, haha!) so that they'd sound at least decent. Add to that the matrices, and this would probably have great sound. 

My third possibility would be a Japan 1971 box set, or, again, a "best of". If the soundboard snippet from 9/28 is any indication, this would sound great.

Ultimately, if I had to pick just one, it'd be an LA 77 box set, with a "best of" for the casuals. It's from much later in their career than any of their other live albums (obviously, I'm not counting Celebration Day), so there'd be plenty of new live material to get die hards and casual fans alike interested. Plus, I'm sure it would probably salvage the reputation of their later live years. I know they grew more inconsistent, but I can't tell you how many times I've seen some fans say "they sucked live after 1973/1975". Heck, if I could even just hear TSRTS from 6/21 in quality even a fourth as good as Four Blocks In The Snow, I'd be happy.

There's plenty of other releases I'd love to see as well (ex. 9/19/70 evening show), but these are probably my top 3.

As with most topics for a band that's been disbanded for nearly 40 years this has already been discussed in previous threads. I really have nothing more to say about this topic at this point. If he wants to do an official Earls Court release I'm all in, but it seems he'd rather spend his time on The Yardbirds stuff.

2 hours ago, JTM said:

Nothing after 1973 would interest me, I would of course purchase anything from a later date if only for completion purposes, one cannot have gaps in ones collection can one...

Agreed. The back to the clubs tour of the UK in 1971 or Seattle 72 would do very nicely

I'd love a Japan '71 album or a live 'best of' covering '75 to '80.

I don't think we'll see anything else from the Led Zeppelin archives however, I think Page is done.

21 minutes ago, Mook said:

I'd love a Japan '71 album or a live 'best of' covering '75 to '80.

I don't think we'll see anything else from the Led Zeppelin archives however, I think Page is done.

I believe the RAH on the DVD covered that era nicely as does the BBC sessions. TSRTS & HTWWW covers mid-period Zeppelin very well. The only era NOT represented well is later era Zep, particularly 77' & 80'. A best of Earls Court would be my dream, the full setlist but the best tunes from each night. Then possibly a best of LA 77'. 

Two other wish list items depend on the source material. I would love, LOVE the July 24th 79' Copenhagen show to come out probably more than anything else however I do not know if a good enough source exists. The boot I have of both the 23rd & 24th sound pretty good but no where near Millard quality or Snowblind. This and the 23rd were monster shows even for 71'-72' standards. I have no real desire for Knebwoth as the first gig was good but not excellent and the second sounds like a band who does not give a single shit. Though Jimmy could synch the Knebworth video to the Copenhagen audio if one wanted the whole experience. The last would be a best of 1980. The complete setlist but taken from the best performances culminating with the insane final WLL in Berlin.

Either way, I care little about video really, it is the audio which is my main focus.

4 hours ago, IpMan said:

I believe the RAH on the DVD covered that era nicely as does the BBC sessions. TSRTS & HTWWW covers mid-period Zeppelin very well. The only era NOT represented well is later era Zep, particularly 77' & 80'. A best of Earls Court would be my dream, the full setlist but the best tunes from each night. Then possibly a best of LA 77'. 

Two other wish list items depend on the source material. I would love, LOVE the July 24th 79' Copenhagen show to come out probably more than anything else however I do not know if a good enough source exists. The boot I have of both the 23rd & 24th sound pretty good but no where near Millard quality or Snowblind. This and the 23rd were monster shows even for 71'-72' standards. I have no real desire for Knebwoth as the first gig was good but not excellent and the second sounds like a band who does not give a single shit. Though Jimmy could synch the Knebworth video to the Copenhagen audio if one wanted the whole experience. The last would be a best of 1980. The complete setlist but taken from the best performances culminating with the insane final WLL in Berlin.

Either way, I care little about video really, it is the audio which is my main focus.

Ipman. I'm sure there's shitloads of video material out there, but with two young kids in the house I just don't get a chance to watch it. Ever. So my focus is also the audio. 

Anything official - I would take a Japan box set. For latter years, I'm already pretty happy with the 77 Millard tapes, the Winston Knebworth and the Winston remasters for 1980. Actually you have a point with the Copenhagen dates - the 24th would be awesome. 

16 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

As with most topics for a band that's been disbanded for nearly 40 years this has already been discussed in previous threads. I really have nothing more to say about this topic at this point. If he wants to do an official Earls Court release I'm all in, but it seems he'd rather spend his time on The Yardbirds stuff.

Its not what he wants, the point is if YOU were in charge for this one time. What single live release would you endorse. Just a bit of fun, didn't realise it's a re-hash. (Thanks ZepHead315)

Archived