Forty years gone: I was 12 when a Led Zeppelin concert turned into a riot

sam_webmaster

• Administrators

Forty years gone: I was 12 when a Led Zeppelin concert turned into a riot

Reliving my first rock concert four decades later.

Ah yes, it's the anniversary of the infamous Tampa Stadium riot show.  I have a co-worker who was there that day and we talk about it every year.  

Thanks for sharing that story, Sam!

There's a few photos I hadn't seen before, like the far shot of them onstage and it's still sunny out! What a dramatic change in the weather in just three songs.

And I've mentioned it before, but Bonzo is just killing it at this gig, such a shame it ended so soon

This just made me think theres a lot more to the Tampa '77 story that we haven't heard, even more than I already thought so. Maybe an embarrassing technical problem, or maybe the Zeppelin thought they were playing the next day part was true. More to this story, I bet. Thanks for share.

• 8 months later...

I was a week shy of turning 18 while at this concert. I’ve always heard about the crowd getting rowdy when the group did not come back on after the “monsoon” (typical Florida thunder storm) but what I haven’t heard was that while the group was playing there were idiots in the audience that were throwing objects at them. I saw Robert Plant duck bottles and other stuff as he was singing. Reminds me of Jake and Elwood in the blues brothers! The three songs were great and I never had a problem with them not coming back out. 

11 hours ago, amahoy said:

I was a week shy of turning 18 while at this concert. I’ve always heard about the crowd getting rowdy when the group did not come back on after the “monsoon” (typical Florida thunder storm) but what I haven’t heard was that while the group was playing there were idiots in the audience that were throwing objects at them. I saw Robert Plant duck bottles and other stuff as he was singing. Reminds me of Jake and Elwood in the blues brothers! The three songs were great and I never had a problem with them not coming back out. 

Maybe Zeppelin should have whipped out Rawhide 

Archived