Plant & Johnson Doc.

EagleB

Enjoyed hearing Robert so clearly relaxed & enjoying life on the Sky Arts Docu. Surprised & disappointed he referred to "Page" rather than the familiar "Jimmy" when discussing previous post Zep collaborations. Why would he do that? 

3 hours ago, EagleB said:

Enjoyed hearing Robert so clearly relaxed & enjoying life on the Sky Arts Docu. Surprised & disappointed he referred to "Page" rather than the familiar "Jimmy" when discussing previous post Zep collaborations. Why would he do that? 

He's done that often or refers to him as Pagey. Don't see any issue there. 

9 hours ago, EagleB said:

Oh no, not another let's over-analyze everything he said thread. What next, speculation on how the seating arrangement suggests there's a rift?

I really enjoyed it, Plant always comes across really well & he's the sort of bloke you could see yourself sharing a pint with whilst discussing Moby Grape b sides or whatever.

One thing I would say, is looking at some of his promotional videos over the years, I reckon I'm a much better dancer than him.

Thought it was poor.It  was advertised as an examination of "on the road" tales.

instead we had a piss taKe of SRTS    Plus we got an examination and justification of all the turns in the road of RP'S 

solo career with the inevitable contribution of dad dancer par excellence Justin Adams from the Shit shapers .

Before i am accused of knocking Planty let me say i am completely fed up with the way he denigrates and pokes fun at 

his former band and bandmates. You don't want to do Zep any more, fine but a bit more respect for the memory of the band that made you!

Eye thank yew! 

Was he taking the piss out of TSRTS?

I thought his 'sequence' from the original movie was pretty tongue in cheek anyway, if he wants to take the piss out of himself, he's more than welcome in my book.

Most of what Robert Plant says should be taken with a few fathoms of salt, I think if you take him at his word all the time, you're never going to like him.

1 hour ago, andrew r said:

Thought it was poor.It  was advertised as an examination of "on the road" tales.

instead we had a piss taKe of SRTS    Plus we got an examination and justification of all the turns in the road of RP'S 

solo career with the inevitable contribution of dad dancer par excellence Justin Adams from the Shit shapers .

Before i am accused of knocking Planty let me say i am completely fed up with the way he denigrates and pokes fun at 

his former band and bandmates. You don't want to do Zep any more, fine but a bit more respect for the memory of the band that made you!

Eye thank yew! 

Andrew

I completely agree with you. I watched this late Friday after a good dinner and 'erbs and wine and wasn't aware, until this morning, that is was billed as tales from "on the road" In this respect it was a poor programme. I mean he was never going to be complementary to his former band "mates". He never is/does. I go hot and cold on his solo music - I was at his Honeydrippers show at Manchester Poly in 81 (was it?) and loved it, didn't like his solo projects thereafter. In fact Shaken and Stirred is by far a complete embarrassment. Having said that I enjoyed his Glastonbury set a couple of years ago. I still stand by that I thought he looked happy and relaxed though. At least he still does music.

Though,I am also fed up with his attitude to his former years and made it clear in a letter published by The Guardian newspaper a few years ago. He has said many things over the years, dissing Zeppelin and a bit like a vegan who used to eat meat, they can't tuck into a steak after gushing about the merits of a nut roast

I watched the Roger Daltrey episode too & it was much the same, it should really be billed as 'Brian Johnson having a natter with his mates' rather than the sort of explosive 'life on the road' thing that it is currently.

4 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Andrew

I completely agree with you. I watched this late Friday after a good dinner and 'erbs and wine and wasn't aware, until this morning, that is was billed as tales from "on the road" In this respect it was a poor programme. I mean he was never going to be complementary to his former band "mates". He never is/does. I go hot and cold on his solo music - I was at his Honeydrippers show at Manchester Poly in 81 (was it?) and loved it, didn't like his solo projects thereafter. In fact Shaken and Stirred is by far a complete embarrassment. Having said that I enjoyed his Glastonbury set a couple of years ago. I still stand by that I thought he looked happy and relaxed though. At least he still does music.

Though,I am also fed up with his attitude to his former years and made it clear in a letter published by The Guardian newspaper a few years ago. He has said many things over the years, dissing Zeppelin and a bit like a vegan who used to eat meat, they can't tuck into a steak after gushing about the merits of a nut roast

Thanks for that ,sometimes it feels like the Life of Brian "stone him stone him" if you dare to criticise the blessed Planty .

Then you get into the whole " he's moved on zep was a million years ago" etc. But i find his tongue in cheek attitude

where Zeppelin is concerned is well past its sell by date. Fridays programme took the biscuit, he was very interesting about that part of Wales 

but then " I can't remember back then with Zep " was his answer to one of Brian Johnstones questions  plus Iknow he was Bonhams friend 

but something gracious about what it was like to have one of the alltime greatest bass and guitar partnerships backing you live would be nice 

occasionally.My 2 cents /2 pence .Rant over . Thanks

Of course Plant must be sick and tired of the whole legacy thing. He would go as far to say that his current band are be the best he has ever played with. I am sure he is the reason why there has never been a BBC programme about the band. He would refuse point blank to discuss it. 

Question: So Robert what was it like to play the LA Forum in June 1972 at 23 years of age when you were part of the biggest band in the world?

Answer: Oh hippy dippy flowers in me hair rubbish. 4 hours of noise with all the kids stoned out of their minds. I must read a book about it sometime to remind me, errrrr best not

Have you heard my latest album? It's the best thing I have ever been involved with. Blah blah blah

1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

Of course Plant must be sick and tired of the whole legacy thing. He would go as far to say that his current band are be the best he has ever played with. I am sure he is the reason why there has never been a BBC programme about the band. He would refuse point blank to discuss it. 

Question: So Robert what was it like to play the LA Forum in June 1972 at 23 years of age when you were part of the biggest band in the world?

Answer: Oh hippy dippy flowers in me hair rubbish. 4 hours of noise with all the kids stoned out of their minds. I must read a book about it sometime to remind me, errrrr best not

Have you heard my latest album? It's the best thing I have ever been involved with. Blah blah blah

On the money sir and this programme would have been(if it had done what it said on the tin) a golden opportunity to discuss the madness

of criss crossing America in the 1970's and a  frankly punishing work rate  and to explain how you played that many oustanding gigs

that your band has become a legend of live performance   and one of the most bootlegged acts. That was what i tuned in for. Fat chance as usual.

In an alternate dimension where Terry Reid had  accepted Pagey's offer  wonder what Planty would be doing? 

Depping for Noddy Holder in a Slade tribute band mmmh 

On 06/06/2017 at 11:12 AM, Mook said:

I watched the Roger Daltrey episode too & it was much the same, it should really be billed as 'Brian Johnson having a natter with his mates' rather than the sort of explosive 'life on the road' thing that it is currently.

I totally agree with this. I've watched most of them and they follow the same theme. I will admit I was disappointed with the fact there were more talking heads in this episode and less the subject (Robert).

13 hours ago, babysquid said:

I totally agree with this. I've watched most of them and they follow the same theme. I will admit I was disappointed with the fact there were more talking heads in this episode and less the subject (Robert).

Yeah, we really didn't need the Biographer's scintillating insight, 'They were massive in the 70s'.

Really? Thanks for that.

Archived