YOUR favorite of N.A. 1977

Bozoso73

Since we are in the throws of nostalgia regarding the North America tour of 1977 and if my math is right the timeline on the website says Zep played 44 shows and 37 were in some shape or form, good or bad taped and released for our listening pleasure. . My question is to all of you. . Yes we all agree there are for sure shows (LTTE or Destroyer) in all of your tops but what whats you're favorite dark horse show? Ill start first:):) Nutrocker talked a while ago about 6/11/77 as one of his best of's and that has turned into one of my favs with the fourth night in LA being a personal favorite. . If its been covered (like everything else Zep-wise) forgive me I just like to hear opinions of shows:):)

PS If you have favorites let me know who was the record label that was in charge of putting it out:)

PPS Is there a complete AUD source of 6/11/77 that after Kashmir is listenable?

Well, allow me to start :lol: 

June 11, New York 

June 10, New York

Cleveland, April 28

Birmingham, May 18

L.A., June 27

Those five are the ones I listen to the most, the recordings you'll have to pry from my cold dead hands when I'm gone...

Whaddya mean by "is there a complete AUD source after 'Kashmir' that's listenable"? Which show in particular?

11 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

Well, allow me to start :lol: 

June 11, New York 

June 10, New York

Cleveland, April 28

Birmingham, May 18

L.A., June 27

Those five are the ones I listen to the most, the recordings you'll have to pry from my cold dead hands when I'm gone...

Whaddya mean by "is there a complete AUD source after 'Kashmir' that's listenable"? Which show in particular?

What up NR?!?! I have an AUD of 6/11/77 that after Kashmir it turns to shit. . Everything before the source change is amazing and I thank YOU for recommending that particular show because its sooooo good one of the best of 77 but mine takes a turn for the worse after Kashmir. . Didnt know if it gets better. . Can you help me with that NR?? Plus I dont have Birmingham. . Could you please hook that up NR?? PM please:):)

The second LA show (6/22) is one of the best shows of the tour and easily rivals Eddie and Badgeholders in terms of performance. The sound quality is not as good (Mike Millard wasn't there, so five different sources, which vary in quality, are used here), but it's an amazingly heavy performance. Best version of IMTOD they ever did, contains the best OTHAFA solo ever, and includes the longest No Quarter ever. Definitely check it out if you haven't.

I definitely agree with Nutrocker on 4/28 Cleveland and 5/18 Birmingham. The former starts off a bit slow to my ears (both TSRTS and Sick Again sound a bit sloppy IMO), but the band warms up quickly and gets better and better as the show moves along. It also helps that the band's power and volume comes across quite well on the recording. Birmingham is great too. There's some small mistakes in No Quarter and Ten Years Gone, but otherwise the performance is solid from beginning to end. Recording is okay.

Send me a PM if you want me to hook you up! :)

April 19/20 Cincinnati - audience tape on YouTube

April 28 Cleveland - audience tape EVSD Cleveland box set

April 30 Pontiac - audience tape digital sound file

May 22 Ft. Worth - audience tape "Duck Walks and Lasers" vinyl/ soundboard EVSD's "Texas Hurricane"

June 3 Tampa - audience tape "Strange Tales from the Road" box set

June 14 New York - audience tape "Strange Tales from the Road" box set

June 22 LA - audience tape Scorpio's "Second Night at the Forum"

June 26 LA - audience tape EVSD's LA Forum 1977 box set

July 24 Oakland - audience tape "Alpha & Omega" vinyl/ EVSD's Oakland 1977 box set

I echo all previous sentiments on April 28, April 30, June 10, June 11, June 22, June 26 etc.  I'll add:

May 22 - Ft. Worth

June 13 - New York -- I've heard some people call this overrated, which is just beyond me.  I think it's a near-spotless performance, apart from Bonham coming in early in Stairway, and I would definitely rank it in the top 5 of the tour.  Recording is about a 6/10, but is well worth the effort.

April 10 in Chicago sounds like it was probably a gem, but I hardly ever listen to it because of the poor recording.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

April 19/20 Cincinnati - audience tape on YouTube

April 28 Cleveland - audience tape EVSD Cleveland box set

April 30 Pontiac - audience tape digital sound file

May 22 Ft. Worth - audience tape "Duck Walks and Lasers" vinyl/ soundboard EVSD's "Texas Hurricane"

June 3 Tampa - audience tape "Strange Tales from the Road" box set

June 14 New York - audience tape "Strange Tales from the Road" box set

June 22 LA - audience tape Scorpio's "Second Night at the Forum"

June 26 LA - audience tape EVSD's LA Forum 1977 box set

July 24 Oakland - audience tape "Alpha & Omega" vinyl/ EVSD's Oakland 1977 box set

Being such a strange gig, what is your opinion in general of the July 24th Oakland show?

1 hour ago, Bonzo_fan said:

April 10 in Chicago sounds like it was probably a gem, but I hardly ever listen to it because of the poor recording.

Which is weird as the night before is a damn good recoding of a truncated, yet good gig...up until Page throws in the towel. I recently listened to this boot and the show is really good IMO. I attended the April 10th show so I can attest that it was a very good show and one of the best of the tour. The only flub of the April 10th show was the first solo in TYG, but he more than makes up for it in the second solo and the closing solo of the song.

6 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

The second LA show (6/22) is one of the best shows of the tour and easily rivals Eddie and Badgeholders in terms of performance. The sound quality is not as good (Mike Millard wasn't there, so five different sources, which vary in quality, are used here), but it's an amazingly heavy performance. Best version of IMTOD they ever did, contains the best OTHAFA solo ever, and includes the longest No Quarter ever. Definitely check it out if you haven't.

I'd be brazen to say that when it's all said and done the June 22 show is even better than the 21st or 23rd (certainly the 23rd). But what the hell, Millard couldn't be there every night I suppose, the dude likely did have a life outside of taping and tape trading!

1 hour ago, Bonzo_fan said:

A soundboard of the April 10 show would be nice. I think I've made it all the through the crappy audience recording exactly twice, every other time I want to listen to it I get about three songs in and have turn it off. Too bad, it is a damn good performance.

7 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

A soundboard of the April 10 show would be nice. I think I've made it all the through the crappy audience recording exactly twice, every other time I want to listen to it I get about three songs in and have turn it off. Too bad, it is a damn good performance.

I know you may think I sound crazy, but about three-to-four years ago I was listening to my local classic rock station in Chicago - WDRV (The Drive). They were playing all live songs during the weekend pulling out a lot of nice gems which is rare nowadays and even three years ago. I was in my car to run some errands I guess, turned on radio and BAM! it's the middle section of live Trampled Underfoot.  Man the boys were on fire! Page's solo and Bonham's licks during that section had me bobbing and weaving in my car I was so pumped but the recording was clean and clear just like it came from a soundboard. I have listened to all the 77 soundboards and that was one I have never heard before! After the song ended, the DJ stated that TU was from the 4/10/77 at Chicago Stadium. I know there is no soundboard recording of the show so I don't if a Chicago radio station recorded part of the show or what. I think I will write an email to them and what kind of response they come back with. I still think about hearing that song coming out of blue and wonder if my mind was playing tricks on me.

3 hours ago, Jimmy's Dragon Suit said:

I know you may think I sound crazy, but about three-to-four years ago I was listening to my local classic rock station in Chicago - WDRV (The Drive). They were playing all live songs during the weekend pulling out a lot of nice gems which is rare nowadays and even three years ago. I was in my car to run some errands I guess, turned on radio and BAM! it's the middle section of live Trampled Underfoot.  Man the boys were on fire! Page's solo and Bonham's licks during that section had me bobbing and weaving in my car I was so pumped but the recording was clean and clear just like it came from a soundboard. I have listened to all the 77 soundboards and that was one I have never heard before! After the song ended, the DJ stated that TU was from the 4/10/77 at Chicago Stadium. I know there is no soundboard recording of the show so I don't if a Chicago radio station recorded part of the show or what. I think I will write an email to them and what kind of response they come back with. I still think about hearing that song coming out of blue and wonder if my mind was playing tricks on me.

That's the first I've ever heard of that.

Interesting.

1 hour ago, LedElvis75 said:

Interesting.

Trampled Underfoot from one of the Knebworths is being played in excellent quality soundwise on the radio as well lately.

16 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

I'd be brazen to say that when it's all said and done the June 22 show is even better than the 21st or 23rd (certainly the 23rd). But what the hell, Millard couldn't be there every night I suppose, the dude likely did have a life outside of taping and tape trading!

What's the story on the 2nd source for 6/22 (the one that lasts from the end of Since I've Been Loving You to the beginning of No Quarter)? It's by far the best and doesn't sound far off from a Millard tape. Why does it only last for a few minutes? Is that really all there is or is EV being greedy and hoarding the tape?

15 hours ago, Jimmy's Dragon Suit said:

12 hours ago, LedElvis75 said:

Interesting.

That is interesting...chance are the radio station is mistaken, though. The only '77 "Trampled Under Foot"s that circulate in soundboard quality are April 27 and May 21, and they'd be pretty easy to tell apart, I think. The station probably has one of those (I'd put my money on April 27 since the soundboard has been in circulation for fourty years). Record it next time you hear it (if you hear it again) and compare it to the April 10 audience source, see if they match up. If they do, then the radio station has something a lot of collectors would want!

11 hours ago, Ocean73 said:

Trampled Underfoot from one of the Knebworths is being played in excellent quality soundwise on the radio as well lately.

That's interesting too. Could it be an official Knebworth release may actually happen at some point?

6 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

What's the story on the 2nd source for 6/22 (the one that lasts from the end of Since I've Been Loving You to the beginning of No Quarter)? It's by far the best and doesn't sound far off from a Millard tape. Why does it only last for a few minutes? Is that really all there is or is EV being greedy and hoarding the tape?

Personally I have no idea, but my guess would be is that somebody -possibly EVSD- are being greedy hoarding buggers. But you need so many different source recordings just to get an even remotely complete version of the June 22 show...something like four different recordings. Hell, it was only a few years ago that a source popped up that actually had "Ten Years Gone" from that show on it, before that all the June 22 bootlegs used one of the other LA '77 "Ten Years Gone", and them Millard sources really stuck out! :lol: 

9 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

That is interesting...chance are the radio station is mistaken, though. The only '77 "Trampled Under Foot"s that circulate in soundboard quality are April 27 and May 21, and they'd be pretty easy to tell apart, I think. The station probably has one of those (I'd put my money on April 27 since the soundboard has been in circulation for fourty years). Record it next time you hear it (if you hear it again) and compare it to the April 10 audience source, see if they match up. If they do, then the radio station has something a lot of collectors would want!

I know for a fact it was not 4/27. My first '77 bootleg was Destroyer and I have listened it to a million times. Did not have the Bonzo disco beat he throws in there during the middle section that I quite enjoy. Also Page is a little sloppy on the 4/27 version. The one I heard his playing on the solo was more fluid.

I will listen to 5/21 and see if that was it. I will also listen to the 4/10 show to see if they sound familiar.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2017 at 9:58 PM, IpMan said:

Being such a strange gig, what is your opinion in general of the July 24th Oakland show?

Hi IpMan. My apologies if you thought I was ignoring your question. Somehow I missed seeing your post until now.

I can state without reservation that July 24 Oakland is one of the more pleasurable gigs of 1977 to listen to. It is a far better show to represent Led Zeppelin's last ever American gig than the Seattle Kingdome, for sure.

The only allowance, if you want to be technical, one must make when listening to the bootleg recording is the sound has the same problem all outdoor shows had at that time...a bit of harshness from the PA sound, with Plant sometimes sounding as if he is singing through a squawkbox or a megaphone. 

At least the tapers aren't as annoying in their comments as the Montreal and New York clowns.

Yes, it was a "strange" show as you allude, as it was performed under the dark cloud of the aftermath (legal and otherwise) of Bonzo, Bindon, and Grant's beating of a Bill Graham employee the day before. But whether subconsciously or not, that incident may be why July 24 is such a focused and streamlined show.

Maybe they just wanted to play and get the hell out of there, but while there are fewer lulls during and in between songs than the average 1977 show, one doesn't get the sense the band is cutting corners or giving the audience short shrift.

If anything, the band seems in high spirits and high energy throughout, giving some of the better performances in 1977 of "Since I've Been Loving You", "No Quarter", "Ten Years Gone", "Trampled Under Foot", "Kashmir", "Achilles Last Stand", "Rock and Roll". Because of some surprise placements of certain songs and the removal of some time-wasters, the July 24 show flows better than any other 1977 show, with nary a lag in energy or a moment where you look at your watch.

Of course, Jimmy starts out with some sticky fingers. It never appeared Jimmy warmed up before a show, instead using the opening two songs as a warmup. So the solos of "The Song Remains the Same" are a mess. By "Nobody's Fault but Mine", Page's fingers are getting loose, and so is Plant. You can still hear some strain on his vocals early on but he is in far better voice than he was in Seattle a week prior.

Bonham is very surprising. You would think he of all the band would be distracted, but he is great throughout. He really lets it rip on "Trampled" and "SIBLY". "Trampled" gets a unique placement in-between "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp" and "White Summer", giving a jolt to the acoustic set.

The acoustic set is very lively, with the addition of "Mystery Train" just before "Black Country Woman" very welcome. As usual, Jimmy breaks a string during "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp", allowing Jones to vamp on the bass. In fact, Jimmy's breaking strings all over...definitely breaks a string during "Over the Hills and Far Away", leading to a truncated version.

"No Quarter" benefits from one of Jonesy's best piano solos...perhaps inspired by the mystery woman dancer that suddenly appeared on stage during this song. You can find photos of her online. I also like that they dump the blues/Nutrocker segment and go straight into the main solo section after Jones piano solo...more like the 1975 versions, which are my favourite.

Another momentum killer that they finally got rid of was the drum solo. After "Kashmir", they go straight to Jimmy's noise solo and "Achilles". Both "Kashmir" and "Achilles" keep the energy flow going towards the end of the show. A good "Stairway" and a savage "Rock and Roll" end the day (it was still light out when Led Zeppelin finished) on a fine note.

Given the pattern set by the band in 1977 on the previous legs...a few shows to find its footing before ending the leg on a high...one could assume by how Led Zeppelin got its act together July 24 after the clumsy start of Seattle and Tempe, that the following shows in New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and beyond would have been boffo.

It's a shame we never found out.

Anyway, I count July 24 Oakland in with April 28 Cleveland and April 30 Pontiac and June 22 Forum as the best 1977 shows of the ones I did not attend.

19 hours ago, Strider said:

Another momentum killer that they finally got rid of was the drum solo. After "Kashmir", they go straight to Jimmy's noise solo and "Achilles". Both "Kashmir" and "Achilles" keep the energy flow going towards the end of the show. A good "Stairway" and a savage "Rock and Roll" end the day (it was still light out when Led Zeppelin finished) on a fine note.

Given the pattern set by the band in 1977 on the previous legs...a few shows to find its footing before ending the leg on a high...one could assume by how Led Zeppelin got its act together July 24 after the clumsy start of Seattle and Tempe, that the following shows in New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and beyond would have been boffo.

No drum solo in Tempe either...I'm still convinced that after Seattle the band made a conscious decision to scale back the shows a bit (the start of the "Cut The Waffle" philosophy, maybe?)- less lengthy self indulgence in the solos, no drum solo...the Oakland shows clock in closer to two and half hours (I'm guessing Tempe did as well) instead of the three plus hour epic gigs they were playing up to that point. And I think it helped: in spite of the bad craziness that went down in Oakland in spite of the occasional fuck up (par for the course in '77) they're generally pretty focused, exciting performances.

5 minutes ago, Nutrocker said:

No drum solo in Tempe either...I'm still convinced that after Seattle the band made a conscious decision to scale back the shows a bit (the start of the "Cut The Waffle" philosophy, maybe?)- less lengthy self indulgence in the solos, no drum solo...the Oakland shows clock in closer to two and half hours (I'm guessing Tempe did as well) instead of the three plus hour epic gigs they were playing up to that point. And I think it helped: in spite of the bad craziness that went down in Oakland in spite of the occasional fuck up (par for the course in '77) they're generally pretty focused, exciting performances.

Aha, thanks for clarifying that point. I have never really paid attention to the Tempe show, only giving Achilles a cursory listen.

Yes, the Oakland shows come in at a zippy 2 and a half hours. Not quite the gargantuan epics of before but still way longer than just about every other band trodding the boards in 1977. It was still worthy of the promise implied on the ticket: "An Evening With Led Zeppelin".

I do have a pet theory about one reason the drum solo was dropped. As Plant was coming off his foot surgery at the onset of the tour and recovering from tonsillitis, one can see how the setlist was sequenced to give Plant's voice and legs periodic rests...the long instrumental jam in No Quarter, the sit-down Acoustic Set, the back to back drum solo/guitar solo after the vocal demands of Kashmir and before Achilles.

I think by the end of the second leg of the tour in L.A., it was obvious that Plant's voice and health was holding up and he didn't need to be coddled. I bet he kind of hinted to the guys that the drum solo wasn't needed anymore to give him a rest, and it was time to ditch it.

One final note of clarification. On my list in my post, I cited EVSD as the source for my Oakland show cd. Sorry...it is actually Magic Bus and their "Fighting Finish" release.

On 6/20/2017 at 1:26 AM, Strider said:

Aha, thanks for clarifying that point. I have never really paid attention to the Tempe show, only giving Achilles a cursory listen.

Yes, the Oakland shows come in at a zippy 2 and a half hours. Not quite the gargantuan epics of before but still way longer than just about every other band trodding the boards in 1977. It was still worthy of the promise implied on the ticket: "An Evening With Led Zeppelin".

I do have a pet theory about one reason the drum solo was dropped. As Plant was coming off his foot surgery at the onset of the tour and recovering from tonsillitis, one can see how the setlist was sequenced to give Plant's voice and legs periodic rests...the long instrumental jam in No Quarter, the sit-down Acoustic Set, the back to back drum solo/guitar solo after the vocal demands of Kashmir and before Achilles.

I think by the end of the second leg of the tour in L.A., it was obvious that Plant's voice and health was holding up and he didn't need to be coddled. I bet he kind of hinted to the guys that the drum solo wasn't needed anymore to give him a rest, and it was time to ditch it.

One final note of clarification. On my list in my post, I cited EVSD as the source for my Oakland show cd. Sorry...it is actually Magic Bus and their "Fighting Finish" release.

I like the input on one of the first shows I ever purchased at a record convention.  I have a double vinyl titled "The Last Brawl", I believe.  I say that because it's been in storage for some time now.  The show, going from memory as it has been years since I've listened to it, is cut between songs and begins with NFBM.  I always thought it was solid.  I remember the acoustic guitar coming across very strongly in Ten Years Gone, which surprised me because at that point (back in the mid 80's) I didn't know JPJ played it during the live performances.  

On 6/20/2017 at 1:05 AM, Nutrocker said:

Yeah, the last one ever was Seattle '77 correct?  Which might've been a known situation based on Bonzo playing parts of Pat's Delight, Moby Dick, and Bonzo's Montreux during it.  It's probably the only '77 drum solo I will listen to for that reason.  A nice way to finish up a played out solo, at that point.

On 6/19/2017 at 2:19 AM, Strider said:

Hi IpMan. My apologies if you thought I was ignoring your question. Somehow I missed seeing your post until now.

I can state without reservation that July 24 Oakland is one of the more pleasurable gigs of 1977 to listen to. It is a far better show to represent Led Zeppelin's last ever American gig than the Seattle Kingdome, for sure.

The only allowance, if you want to be technical, one must make when listening to the bootleg recording is the sound has the same problem all outdoor shows had at that time...a bit of harshness from the PA sound, with Plant sometimes sounding as if he is singing through a squawkbox or a megaphone. 

At least the tapers aren't as annoying in their comments as the Montreal and New York clowns.

Yes, it was a "strange" show as you allude, as it was performed under the dark cloud of the aftermath (legal and otherwise) of Bonzo, Bindon, and Grant's beating of a Bill Graham employee the day before. But whether subconsciously or not, that incident may be why July 24 is such a focused and streamlined show.

Maybe they just wanted to play and get the hell out of there, but while there are fewer lulls during and in between songs than the average 1977 show, one doesn't get the sense the band is cutting corners or giving the audience short shrift.

If anything, the band seems in high spirits and high energy throughout, giving some of the better performances in 1977 of "Since I've Been Loving You", "No Quarter", "Ten Years Gone", "Trampled Under Foot", "Kashmir", "Achilles Last Stand", "Rock and Roll". Because of some surprise placements of certain songs and the removal of some time-wasters, the July 24 show flows better than any other 1977 show, with nary a lag in energy or a moment where you look at your watch.

Of course, Jimmy starts out with some sticky fingers. It never appeared Jimmy warmed up before a show, instead using the opening two songs as a warmup. So the solos of "The Song Remains the Same" are a mess. By "Nobody's Fault but Mine", Page's fingers are getting loose, and so is Plant. You can still hear some strain on his vocals early on but he is in far better voice than he was in Seattle a week prior.

Bonham is very surprising. You would think he of all the band would be distracted, but he is great throughout. He really lets it rip on "Trampled" and "SIBLY". "Trampled" gets a unique placement in-between "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp" and "White Summer", giving a jolt to the acoustic set.

The acoustic set is very lively, with the addition of "Mystery Train" just before "Black Country Woman" very welcome. As usual, Jimmy breaks a string during "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp", allowing Jones to vamp on the bass. In fact, Jimmy's breaking strings all over...definitely breaks a string during "Over the Hills and Far Away", leading to a truncated version.

"No Quarter" benefits from one of Jonesy's best piano solos...perhaps inspired by the mystery woman dancer that suddenly appeared on stage during this song. You can find photos of her online. I also like that they dump the blues/Nutrocker segment and go straight into the main solo section after Jones piano solo...more like the 1975 versions, which are my favourite.

It's a shame we never found out.

Anyway, I count July 24 Oakland in with April 28 Cleveland and April 30 Pontiac and June 22 Forum as the best 1977 shows of the ones I did not attend.

Thanks Sean, BTW, no worries, at our age time goes by so damn fast that if someone replies to a post within six months it seems like the next day :lol:

13 hours ago, Walter said:

Yeah, the last one ever was Seattle '77 correct?  Which might've been a known situation based on Bonzo playing parts of Pat's Delight, Moby Dick, and Bonzo's Montreux during it.  It's probably the only '77 drum solo I will listen to for that reason.  A nice way to finish up a played out solo, at that point.

Indeed, the Seattle drum solo sorta brings thing full circle. And just maybe John Bonham was breathing a sigh of relief knowing it was the last drum solo he needed to play...

Archived